Game 16- Northern Illinois Huskies

I do not know why when there is a screen to the left a player jumps to the screen and allows a free lane to the basket.  I saw it on Tuesday with Jackson and I just saw it with Ivey.  What is Groce telling these guys when he teaches them defense.  

Once again, this team is not a good 3 point shooting team but they love to shoot them.  Have not seen a team fall apart like this in a long time.  The talent is ther but they look bad.

I really want to say that the shooting is off right now and will come around but  I can't. After witnessing a couple guys absolutely doggin' it  getting back on D  I turned the game off to watch BG/CMU. What I really saw in the Zips today is a team that seemed to be resigned to their fate and  in a state of regression.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, The Hip Zip said:

I really want to say that the shooting is off right now and will come around but  I can't. After witnessing a couple guys absolutely doggin' it  getting back on D  I turned the game off to watch BG/CMU. What I really saw in the Zips today is a team that seemed to be resigned to their fate and  in a state of regression.

This is what I saw as well. When they went cold offensively in the 2nd half they started to look like they didn't want to be on the court. NIU got every 50/50 ball plus some they had no business getting. NIU played with a lot of confidence and hustle. We quit.

Edited by kreed5120
  • Like 2

There have been many ups and downs the last two years and I have tried to keep an optimistic and hopeful through them all, but today is my low in the last two years.  Up 9 at half to losing by 17 fresh on the heels of a putrid performance at Central, coupled with the Gueye incident, and my faith in the program is at a recent low.  Listening to that game and hearing about the body language of the team when things went south in the second half, I am damn fed up.  I joked about them taking the bus to DeKalb after the CMU loss instead of flying.  They can walk home from DeKalb.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, NWAkron said:

Gueye would be smart to quickly plead "no contest" so double jeopardy attached to the incident.  However, sounds like decision made with police, prosecutor, and victim that this will be kept misdemeanor.   A felonious assault will send him further away than South Carolina...more like Senegal.

You need to take some law courses.

Jeopardy attaches when the first juror is sworn or when the first witness is sworn in the case of a bench trial.

Do NOT assume anything about any "deal" having been made. They can still go to the Grand Jury and secure an indictment.

From what I read in the article (and I believe little of what I read in the newspapers) this is deserving of a Felony. Knocked unconscious and teeth knocked out. Serious physical injury.

9 hours ago, clarkwgriswold said:

Less as far as the injury caused I guess, but violence against someone off of the court, a female at that, is not "way less."

Get real. There was no arrest in that case.

The woman did not make the complaint, her friend did.

This is way way more serious.

This guy will never wear an Akron uniform again.

45 minutes ago, akronzips71 said:

You need to take some law courses.

Jeopardy attaches when the first juror is sworn or when the first witness is sworn in the case of a bench trial.

Do NOT assume anything about any "deal" having been made. They can still go to the Grand Jury and secure an indictment.

From what I read in the article (and I believe little of what I read in the newspapers) this is deserving of a Felony. Knocked unconscious and teeth knocked out. Serious physical injury.

1.  You are correct regarding when jeopardy attaches in a trial situation.  However, if there's a plea to assault arising out of this incident, prosecutor is then prohibited from taking case to grand jury.  Only exception would be if victim were to die from injuries at a later date.  Then prosecutor at time of plea would still need to reserve right to file murder charges at a later point.

2.  The city could dismiss the assault charge and send it to the county prosecutor but would need to be done before any plea on the assault.  One would think the victim and the UAPD police discussed what charge to file considering it's been 3 weeks.

3.  Seems like you just want a felony charge so you have more ammunition to tirade about.

4.  Further, I'm not saying it shouldn't be a felony.  Don't know all the facts or the extenuating circumstances.  

Edited by NWAkron

12 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

1.  You are correct regarding when jeopardy attaches in a trial situation.  However, if there's a plea to assault arising out of this incident, prosecutor is then prohibited from taking case to grand jury.  Only exception would be if victim were to die from injuries at a later date.  Then prosecutor at time of plea would still need to reserve right to file murder charges at a later point.

2.  The city could dismiss the assault charge and send it to the county prosecutor but would need to be done before any plea on the assault.  One would think the victim and the UAPD police discussed what charge to file considering it's been 3 weeks.

3.  Seems like you just want a felony charge so you have more ammunition to tirade about.

4.  Further, I'm not saying it shouldn't be a felony.  Don't know all the facts or the extenuating circumstances.  

A Judge CAN accept a guilty plea to the charges...

However, I am in New York and I know our laws and cases do differ.

There was a case in NY where a driver was charged with DWI and pleaded guilty at the arraignment. A person later died as a result, and the driver was able to beat it....NOT.

However, I have never, in 30 years working in the Courts, seen a Judge accept a guilty plea IN ARRAIGNMENTS, over the objections of the DA. It does of course happen down the road in a case, where the Court sets the sentence since the plea is to all the charges.

In THIS case, I seriously doubt the Police consulted with the defendant on what to charge him with!

Rather, they probably (tried) questioned him. AND consulted with school authorities and the witnesses and victim The defendant has NOTHING to say about what he is charged with. NOT his call.

Any case arising on a campus is a sensitive matter, especially when the accused is a scholly BB player. So that is more likely the delay in charging. Politics, always politics. I could tell you stories about the Lone Stars back in the day, POLITICS.

8 minutes ago, akronzips71 said:

A Judge CAN accept a guilty plea to the charges...

However, I am in New York and I know our laws and cases do differ.

There was a case in NY where a driver was charged with DWI and pleaded guilty at the arraignment. A person later died as a result, and the driver was able to beat it....NOT.

However, I have never, in 30 years working in the Courts, seen a Judge accept a guilty plea IN ARRAIGNMENTS, over the objections of the DA. It does of course happen down the road in a case, where the Court sets the sentence since the plea is to all the charges.

In THIS case, I seriously doubt the Police consulted with the defendant on what to charge him with!

Rather, they probably (tried) questioned him. AND consulted with school authorities and the witnesses and victim The defendant has NOTHING to say about what he is charged with. NOT his call.

Any case arising on a campus is a sensitive matter, especially when the accused is a scholly BB player. So that is more likely the delay in charging. Politics, always politics. I could tell you stories about the Lone Stars back in the day, POLITICS.

Who said anyone consulted the Defendant on charges?  Did you read my post?  I said a homicide charge can sometimes be filed later under certain conditions.  Ohio has Marcy's Law so there is an absolute requirement victim be consulted.  I don't want to argue with you about this.  Awful situation for Mark, the team, and a young man who threw everything away out of pride and anger.  I think the felony v. Misdemeanor decision has more to do with immigration issues than it does with the injury.

And as for Groce losing the team: so Toledo, Kent, Ohio, Ball State, and WMU coaches have also lost their teams?  Because those teams have laid some huge eggs these last few weeks as well. MAC is a brush fire so far.  Think they all know there's no hope of winning the MAC tourney.

You may be correct about the immigration angle.

My point about the coach is this:

A player assaulted another player in practice. Not a dispute or fight, apparently he sucker punched him.

We do not know the backstory, and no doubt (in my mind having seen it many times) his lawyer will play the race card in his defense.

That being said, something is wrong when something like this happens. A TEAM needs to have chemistry. Right now they have none. This is up to the coach, remove the bad apple(s) and get some TEAM going again.

13 minutes ago, akronzips71 said:

You may be correct about the immigration angle.

My point about the coach is this:

A player assaulted another player in practice. Not a dispute or fight, apparently he sucker punched him.

We do not know the backstory, and no doubt (in my mind having seen it many times) his lawyer will play the race card in his defense.

That being said, something is wrong when something like this happens. A TEAM needs to have chemistry. Right now they have none. This is up to the coach, remove the bad apple(s) and get some TEAM going again.

Fair enough apart from the "race card" angle.   The immigration card will have a lot more impact on the prosecutors and judge.   As for team, and I'm not trying to bring up the KD issues: there wasn't much left when Groce started.  Groce made a tough call with Cotton and Parrish.  And end of this year, he will make some more tough calls.  Ive been watching BGSU under Huger.  They lost first round last year of tourney (I think at home) then there were some major departures from their team.  (The year before wasn't good for them either.) I thought to myself...wow, the players are bailing on that program.   But this year they are 3-0.   I'm frustrated like everyone else but we had walk ons playing serious minutes end of the last year.  I will give him another year. ( Mighty generous of this insomniac, no?)

Edited by NWAkron

We sucked on the road last year.  We have sucked on the road this year.  It is difficult to win on the road, especially with inexperienced players.  Ivey and Utomi are our experience and they did not play well in the second half.  As soon as I compliment Utomi for his inside game he starts the second half with an air ball.  All of these players like to shoot the three ball and when they are cold they seem to fall apart.  I think Jackson is a great player but he has struggled, expecially his shooting.  Our shooting stats on MAC play are horrendous and we are going to struggle until we shoot better.