Game 17- Eastern Michigan

clarkwgriswold

The 8-8 Eagles come into the JAR Tuesday night fresh off of a 34 point thrashing of Mr. Pinky's Travelling All-Stars.  The Eagles are 2-1 in the MAC having beaten PCCC and Ball State while losing to Buffalo.  They are led by Elijah Minnie's 14 ppg and 17 year MAC vet James Thompson's 10.3 rpg.  They play quite a bit of 2-3 zone with 6-10 Thompson, 6-11 Toure and 6-9 Minnie all in the mix.

The Zips enter the game at 1-2 in the MAC fresh off...............................................................awwwwwwwww screw it.

Go Zips.  

16 hours ago, kreed5120 said:

I would have penciled this in as a win 2-3 weeks ago. Now Akron's play has gone to crap while EMU is now starting to look like the team that was picked to win the MAC West. If we drop this we're 1-3 with 2 games still left against Buffalo. 

Not sure we can pencil any team as a win right now.  Between the way the Zips are playing and the crazy nature of MAC, there's no certainty (other maybe than Buffalo's superiority).  I'm really hoping this is just a slump the Zips will recover from, but I am skeptical.  It's going to get tougher dragging my old tired @$$ from the deck to the JAR in the cold weather if they don't!

• Like 1

If you need a reason why this team is playing so poorly, just look at the 3 point stats.  We are 26th in the nation for 3 point attempts.  But  we are 217th in 3 point percentage makes.   If you just look at just the MAC stats, we would be dead last in the country on 3 point field goal percentage.  WE love to take 3 point attempts but cannot make them at a high percentage.  This was the same problem last year.  Different players, same problem.  One of the problems is that we do not have a center who like to take shots in the paint.  We just have more guys taking 3 ball shots.  Loren Jackson has been terrible shooting the 3 ball and is 3 for 25.  Hopefully, when they get home this percentage will improve.  If not, this will be a long season.  Groce always indicates that his players are great shooters.  It is time to prove it or work on a different offense that does more than shoot 3 balls.

Edited by 1981 grad
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, 1981 grad said:

If you need a reason why this team is playing so poorly, just look at the 3 point stats.  We are 26th in the nation for 3 point attempts.  But  we are 217th in field goal percentage makes.   If you just look at just the MAC stats, we would be dead last in the country on 3 point field goal percentage.  WE love to take 3 point attempts but cannot make them at a high percentage.  This was the same problem last year.  Different players, same problem.  One of the problems is that we do not have a center who like to take shots in the paint.  We just have more guys taking 3 ball shots.  Loren Jackson has been terrible shooting the 3 ball and is 3 for 25.  Hopefully, when they get home this percentage will improve.  If not, this will be a long season.  Groce always indicates that his players are great shooters.  It is time to prove it or work on a different offense that does more than shoot 3 balls.

But they're getting good looks....sigh.  :puke:

4 hours ago, 1981 grad said:

If you need a reason why this team is playing so poorly, just look at the 3 point stats.  We are 26th in the nation for 3 point attempts.  But  we are 217th in 3 point percentage makes.   If you just look at just the MAC stats, we would be dead last in the country on 3 point field goal percentage.  WE love to take 3 point attempts but cannot make them at a high percentage.  This was the same problem last year.  Different players, same problem.  One of the problems is that we do not have a center who like to take shots in the paint.  We just have more guys taking 3 ball shots.  Loren Jackson has been terrible shooting the 3 ball and is 3 for 25.  Hopefully, when they get home this percentage will improve.  If not, this will be a long season.  Groce always indicates that his players are great shooters.  It is time to prove it or work on a different offense that does more than shoot 3 balls.

The Zips have been spotty 3 point shooting for years.  There were some marksmen along the way that could blow up a game but then they would go dry for a few games: Jake and Reggie for example.  Noah and Antino were inconsistent as well.   Abreu was one of the best.  Also, Roberts and McNees were a killer combo.  But after those guys it's been a struggle for Zips.   I've seen Tyler Cheese show a beautiful 3 point shot but it's only been on occasion.  These guys aren't all of a sudden going to be consistent killers from 3 like DJ Cooper.  

Edited by NWAkron

The Eagles may be a rare team that shoots worse than the Zips from the three point line at .298.

It appears their starters are:

6' 2" redshirt Senior Guard Paul Jackson-  13.2 ppg; 4.1 apg; 1.9 rpg

6' 2" sophomore guard Kevin McAdoo- 8.3 ppg; 1.2 apg; .9 rpg

6' 10" senior forward James Thompson- 11.2 ppg; .6 apg; 10.3 rpg

6' 11" sophomore forward Boubacar Toure- 9 ppg; .3 apg; 8.1 rpg

6' 9" redshirt senior forward Elijah Minnie- 14 ppg; 1.3 apg; 4.6 rpg

The sixth man is 6' 7" sophomore forward Ty Groce- 5.6 ppg;  1.4 apg;  4.1 rpg.

In short, damn they're big.  Riak, Sayles and E-man had better come to play and everyone had better box out.

6 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

Free Fear the Roo t-shirts tonight to the first 3,000.

Why not promote this on social media sooner than the day of the game? It's still not on Facebook that I see. I think they mentioned it at the women's game, but I only heard the end of the announcement.

ABJ: Zips struggling offensively in MAC play

Pretty good article concerning our offensive woes.  I'm not surprised by this; the MAC is a physical conference and this is the 1st go-around for a number of our guys.  They'll adjust.

But I'm not optimistic about tonight.  EMU's really feeling their oats right now.

13 minutes ago, ewbrooman1 said:

Why not promote this on social media sooner than the day of the game? It's still not on Facebook that I see. I think they mentioned it at the women's game, but I only heard the end of the announcement.

I wasn't aware until I got the game day email.  I suspect 3000 will be plenty.

mail (1).jpg

• Like 1