Spring 2019

Might as well start this, and we can add to it when we have more information. We/I have not seen the Spring schedule yet, but I for one cannot wait to see our team back in action. I'm especially interested to see who steps up to potentially replace Ben Lundt and Abdi Mohamed as starters.

Of course, we're still awaiting the official announcement of our 2019 recruiting class. Although, for 2019, the Soccer signing period began November 14, 2018, our coaches and team were a little busy at the time. Very much looking forward to reading about the talented players who will be joining our championship caliber program. 

• Like 3

Looking forward to seeing these four new guys with us in the spring.

https://gozips.com/news/2019/1/15/akron-mens-soccer-announces-four-member-early-2019-signing-class.aspx

Henrique Cruz

Will Jackson

Grant Abbott

Johnny Fitzgerald

Edited by Zip_ME87
  • Like 1

Spring roster

link: https://gozips.com/news/2019/1/15/akron-mens-soccer-announces-four-member-early-2019-signing-class.aspx?path=msoc

direct link: https://gozips.com/documents/2019/1/15/akron_msoc_2019spring.pdf

(25 players: 21 position players, 4 GKs)

Freshmen (8)

28 Dion Akhigbe MF/F 5-8 Fr. (R)

29 Nick McCausland D 5-8 Fr. (R)

30 Nick Sibila GK 6-4 Fr. (R)

31 Ricky Ceballos GK 5-10 Fr. (R)

Grant Abbott GK - Fr.

Henrique Cruz MF - Fr.

Johnny Fitzgerald MF - Fr.

Will Jackson F - Fr.

Sophomores (9)

2 Pol Hernandez D 5-6 So.

3 Carlo Ritaccio D 5-11 So.

4 Marco Milanese D 5-11 So.

12 Colin Biros MF/F 5-6 So.

15 Braden Petno F 6-4 So. (R)

16 Sam Tojaga MF 5-11 So.

18 Ivan Nikolic D 5-11 So.

23 Daniel Oliveira D 5-7 So. (R)

27 Declan Watters D 6-5 So. (R)

Juniors (5)

9 David Egbo F 6-1 Jr.

14 Diogo Pacheco MF/F 5-10 Jr. (R)

24 Tor Saunders GK 6-5 Jr. (R)

25 Daniel Strachan D 6-1 Jr.

32 Peter Zecca F 5-10 Jr.

Seniors (3)

5 Leonard Sohn D 5-10 Sr.

6 Skye Harter MF 6-1 Sr. (R)

21 Christian Lue Young MF 6-0 Sr. (R)

Coaches

Head Coach: Jared Embick (13th season/seventh as head coach)

Assistant Coach: TJ Kolba (fifth season)

Goalkeepers Coach: Ger Coppinger (fifth season)

Edited by Zip_ME87
  • Like 3

Zip_ME87, that is a great format to look at the roster.  Thanks for taking the time to sort the roster out by year.

Skye Harter has been a great team member for many years.  Would love to see Skye and the other student athletes achieve a 2nd star next fall.

8 minutes ago, zippyfan34 said:

So leaving us are (grade level is what they were in 2018).  Will be interested to see where they land and if we will have any transfers before the fall.

Faisal Ghaffur - MF Sophomore

Ahmed Allen - D Freshman

Dennis Cole - MF Sophomore

Coach Embick and his staff have deservedly received a tremendous amount of positive press for their excellent coaching this year with Abdi Mohamed and Marco Micaletto.   I would think that Akron will be an attractive location for transfers that are wanting to improve their skill set and be part of a winning culture (that also plays "beautiful soccer").    Morgan Hackworth is another transfer that improved tremendously during his time at Akron.      Young men with a desire to learn and a high soccer IQ....will always fit in well in the Akron soccer program.

I always loved the effort that I saw from Faisal Ghaffur when he was on the field.    Injuries had a huge impact on Faisal during his time at Akron.  Best wishes for this young man in college and life...wherever he ends up.  Thank you for always giving 110% on the field.

• 4 weeks later...

https://gozips.com/news/2019/2/14/akron-mens-soccer-unveils-challenging-spring-schedule.aspx

2019 Akron Men's Soccer Spring Schedule
Fri., March 1 - at Pittsburgh Riverhounds – Pittsburgh, Pa., 3 p.m.
Sun., March 3 – at Columbus Crew (Closed Scrimmage) – Columbus, Ohio, 11 a.m.
                              vs. Lake Erie College, FirstEnergy Stadium – 5 p.m.
Sun., March 10 – vs. Sigma FC U-21/U-19, FirstEnergy Stadium, 1/3 p.m.

Sat., April 6 – vs. Kentucky, FirstEnergy Stadium – 1 p.m.
                          vs. Notre Dame College (National Youth Football and Sports Complex) – Canton, Ohio, 5 p.m.
Sat., April 13 – vs. Michigan, FirstEnergy Stadium, 6 p.m.
                            vs. Case Western Reserve, FirstEnergy Stadium, 8 p.m.
Fri., April 19 – vs. Ashland, Shrank Practice Facility, 4 p.m.
                           vs. Ohio Valley, Shrank Practice Facility, 7 p.m.
Sat., April 27 – at Dayton – Dayton, Ohio, 4 p.m.

Nice!!! Lots of Spring soccer. Go Zips.

Edited by Zip_ME87
  • Like 1

Nice Spring schedule. Jared will many opportunities to judge his talent. That equals a faster start come August. We are ready to make a run at the championship in the Fall no doubt.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

PIT 1-0 AKR

More experienced players are more accustomed to finishing.

Zips actually had greater number of chances; they should have scored at least one.

Biggest takeaway:  The raw athleticism of Will Jackson.  The freshman will contribute this year.

Sam Tojaga and Carlo Ritaccio played well, each in their own way.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, zippyfan34 said:

Did anyone attend the matches yesterday and care to share their observations?

Was it ever cold!  38* (and falling) with a high wind is not comfortable viewing.  And I very rarely complain about the weather.

After taking it on the chin from two professional squads, Zips were ready to beat on somebody.  Youth academy Sigma FC was once again ready to oblige.

Zips came out aligned in  a 4-3-3.  Up top were (left to right) Diogo Pacheco, Will Jackson, David Egbo.  That's right: The freshman played Centre Forward.  Folks should really come out to see this kid on Saturday April 6th @ 1:00.  WilJax is the real deal!  He was involved in numerous scores, finishing, assisting etc.      I lost count, but all three Forwards were stuffing the stat sheet against an over-matched, younger squad.  Did we really score seven goals?  Or were one or two of those called back for off-sides?         Scoreboard was off.                Zips dominated.

I cannot see Carlo Ritaccio NOT being 2019 Team Captain.  May as well call him captain right now.  There is absolutely no doubt of who is in charge of this team on the pitch.  I challenge anyone to see this differently.  Sit down in front, close to the action.  Ritaccio's incessant tactical direction is clearly audible.   And his teammates do what he says.   He's a natural leader.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

fknbuflobo....great report on yesterday's action....

speaking of Carlo, I don't think that this article has been posted on the zno board...

I think I saw this article on Zip_ME87's twitter account

take a look at the company shared by Carlo.  This is very impressive for Carlo to be in the group here.

We are very fortunate to have this young leader on the Zips team.

https://www.usclubsoccer.org/news_article/show/1002463#.XIT8u61u8jg.twitter

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, TennZip said:

take a look at the company shared by Carlo.  This is very impressive for Carlo to be in the group here.

We are very fortunate to have this young leader on the Zips team.

https://www.usclubsoccer.org/news_article/show/1002463#.XIT8u61u8jg.twitter

P6_BAUSS320609582-id2-AllTime-Best-XI.jp

• 4 weeks later...