Kostelac Possibly Transferring

zippy5

Just thinking of some of the kids the Zips had to rely on in Groce's first season.  He was able to get some kids into the pipeline like LCJ and Riak as redshirts, but the kids that they had to actually field a team were rough.  Kostelac who was nowhere near ready.  Cotton, who was a D1 talent and a class 1 headcase.  Patton who was a great effort kid but wasn't ready.  E-man with his heart problem.  Lucas Smith out of the rec center.  Jayden adjusting to college life.  Thank goodness for Malcolm Duvivier coming in and Ivey and Utomi sticking it out.

All the while people were griping about Groce.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

Just thinking of some of the kids the Zips had to rely on in Groce's first season.  He was able to get some kids into the pipeline like LCJ and Riak as redshirts, but the kids that they had to actually field a team were rough.  Kostelac who was nowhere near ready.  Cotton, who was a D1 talent and a class 1 headcase.  Patton who was a great effort kid but wasn't ready.  E-man with his heart problem.  Lucas Smith out of the rec center.  Jayden adjusting to college life.  Thank goodness for Malcolm Duvivier coming in and Ivey and Utomi sticking it out.

People were griping about Dambrot and he led us to how many straight MAC finals? Moral of the story is some posters will always gripe.

57 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

Maybe 2% of them. And those grousing were typically fans of "Keith," not the Zips.

Anyone with even the smallest basketball acumen saw what Groce was up against during his first couple seasons, and understood there'd be a lot more "L's" than "W's." 

Those who didn't were predominately pouting that Dambrot was somehow treated unfairly. Poor guy got over a million dollars per season to try and restore the glory of his dad's alma mater. Talk about getting kicked out to the curb.?

• Like 5

1 hour ago, clarkwgriswold said:

someone talked about the MAC Qfinal game between Akron and the Hurons.  I don't remember it being that close at the end, and I also recall that was the end of Virshon Cotton when he applauded Utomi's missed free throw.

On 5/27/2020 at 1:11 PM, NWAkron said:

someone talked about the MAC Qfinal game between Akron and the Hurons.  I don't remember it being that close at the end, and I also recall that was the end of Virshon Cotton when he applauded Utomi's missed free throw.

I talked about that game and it was close at the 2 minute mark when Utomi missed the free throw: "Duvivier ended the 14-0 Eastern Michigan surge with a free throw at the 1:59 mark to bring the Zips within two, 60-58."  I did not know that Cotton applauded when Utomi missed the free throw.  I was upset when Groce took out Patton for Klac.  The Hurons scored the last 7 points of the game.

1 hour ago, 1981 grad said:

I talked about that game and it was close at the 2 minute mark when Utomi missed the free throw: "Duvivier ended the 14-0 Eastern Michigan surge with a free throw at the 1:59 mark to bring the Zips within two, 60-58."  I did not know that Cotton applauded when Utomi missed the free throw.  I was upset when Groce took out Patton for Klac.  The Hurons scored the last 7 points of the game.

I tend to block out those memories.  Was there a technical or something in which Groce got to choose who to shoot the FTs?  He picked Utomi over Cotton.  I think Cotton made two clutch FTs against Western and thought he was the man.

2 hours ago, NWAkron said:

I tend to block out those memories.  Was there a technical or something in which Groce got to choose who to shoot the FTs?  He picked Utomi over Cotton.  I think Cotton made two clutch FTs against Western and thought he was the man.

That's an iffy call.  Picking a 3rd year sophomore team leader and leading scorer over an angry freshman team cancer.

If Virshon was half the player he thinks he is he'd be looking at resuming his second NBA season.

Edited by clarkwgriswold

58 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

I do not believe it was a technical.  He made the first and then missed the second.  We had a double digit lead that game and just blew it.  I remember that Patton had picked off several offensive rebounds that year off of missed foul shots and thought it was a bad move to take him out at that point in the game for Klac.  

• 1 year later...

Just an update.  Kostelac vs. U of A  in the Ohio Court of Claims concluded in July with the University being awarded summary judgment on Kostelac's claims.  Essentially, the Court found that the University did not breach its duty of reasonable care to protect Kostelac from an unreasonable risk of physical harm of which it knew or had reason to know, because Gueye's criminal act of assaulting Kostelac was unforeseeable.

• Thanks 3

6 hours ago, clarkwgriswold said:

Just an update.  Kostelac vs. U of A  in the Ohio Court of Claims concluded in July with the University being awarded summary judgment on Kostelac's claims.  Essentially, the Court found that the University did not breach its duty of reasonable care to protect Kostelac from an unreasonable risk of physical harm of which it knew or had reason to know, because Gueye's criminal act of assaulting Kostelac was unforeseeable.

Incredibly difficult to win any lawsuit in the court of claims.  That's the point of it.  That being said, the lawsuit was spurious but the incident ridded the Zips of Gueye and KLac in one fell swoop.

• Like 1