Game 18 - MIAMI (OH) REDHAWKS

kreed5120

Akron travels on the road this Saturday to face the Redhawks who are still winless in conference play. Akron, who has yet to win a game on the road this year, likely won't have a better opportunity to pick up a road win than this game here. I hate throwing out must wins this early in the year, but if we hope to be a top 4 seed in Cleveland, this is IMO a must win. 

Miami is led by a pair of sophomores Nike Sibande and Dalonte Brown who combine to average 31.1 ppg and 9.7 boards. Kenpom ranks their offense 104th best in NCAA and their defense 284th, which is be dead last in the MAC.

• Like 3

Miami was picked to finish second in the East in the preseason MAC poll, but the Redhawks are off to a rough 0-4 MAC start losing to Central Michigan, Northern Illinois, Toledo and Buffalo.  They lost to Northern by 13 at home while the Zips lost to Northern by 17 in DeKalb.  They lost to Central by 7 at home while the Zips lost to Central by 2 in OT at Central.  Another common opponent is UPFW who the Redhawks beat by 6 in Oxford, while the Zips lost by 3 at UPFW. 

I think the Redhawks' slow start in the MAC is misleading and that this could be a tough game for the Zips.

I really think the Zips are the better team, but outside of the Nevada game, which I felt we played good despite losing, we've struggled mightily on the road. I want to say we'll win, but it's hard for me to be confident until we show we can actually win on the road. 

Edited by kreed5120

I have a mystery to solve. Not a big mystery, but still a mystery. Why did Ivey not start against NIU? He was back against Eastern Michigan. Usually if it has something to do with a violation of team rules a player will be forced to sit during tip-off, but would be allowed to start the second half. Ivey didn't start either half against NIU. So that's why I thought maybe Groce was shuffling his roster to maximize leadership/productivity. Say for example, that Sayles, Roscoe and Ivey really click together. Groce did that one year at Illinois with a bunch of young players. Anybody?

On 1/17/2019 at 5:32 PM, Let'sGoZips94 said:

Must win. 

I'm hoping the Zips are learning what their good at being and doing.  After the last game, Deng said the coach told them EMU would get dunks but not to worry about it.  Basically, don't get emotional and try and answer quickly. They play best when they don't try and make up points quickly or go for the dagger 3.  Up by 7 look for the good shot to go up by 9 instead of the big 3 pointers that miss and lead to a transition 3 on the other end.  

Edited by NWAkron
  • Like 2

I wish we could get the ball down low to our center and he would take it to the hoop.  The first shot from our 2 centers is a 3 ball.  The second shot was a missed layup.  In the last possession, Groce said screw it and went small and we played with no center.  It opened up the middle and Jackson was able to beat his man and get a layup.  Our centers are not in the flow of the offense.  When Utomi posted up his man the defender in the middle just clogs the lane and Utomi cannot penetrate.  Our offense is struggling on the road but we are playing good defense.  Cheese had some great drives.  WE are shooting our MAC average, 23% from the 3 line.  Worst in the country.    If we could shoot the 3 ball anywhere near average we would be up by 6