Game 18 - MIAMI (OH) REDHAWKS

kreed5120

This must be groundhog day.  Same old Same old.  We cannot shoot a 3 ball but keep shooting it.  Remember, last year we did not get our first road win to mid February.  I think it is tough to win on the road and you need experienced players to win.  Our only experienced players are Ivey and Utomi.  They did not have good games.  Cheese is really the only Zip who looked good.   I would like to see these guys pound the offensive boards.  Instead, they just watch.  Groce better find out how to win on the road or we are going to have the same record as last year with another play in game on the road.  

• Like 1

21 hours ago, NWAkron said:

I'm hoping the Zips are learning what their good at being and doing.  After the last game, Deng said the coach told them EMU would get dunks but not to worry about it.  Basically, don't get emotional and try and answer quickly. They play best when they don't try and make up points quickly or go for the dagger 3.  Up by 7 look for the good shot to go up by 9 instead of the big 3 pointers that miss and lead to a transition 3 on the other end.  

Are you a psychic?

4 minutes ago, 1981 grad said:

This must be groundhog day.  Same old Same old.  We cannot shoot a 3 ball but keep shooting it.  Remember, last year we did not get our first road win to mid February.  I think it is tough to win on the road and you need experienced players to win.  Our only experienced players are Ivey and Utomi.  They did not have good games.  Cheese is really the only Zip who looked good.   I would like to see these guys pound the offensive boards.  Instead, they just watch.  Groce better find out how to win on the road or we are going to have the same record as last year with another play in game on the road.  

Amen.

where is the leadership on this team??  I saw bad shot selection, lazy passes, sure there was some energy but that is after they surrendered the lead multiple times.   Honestly, I would change my lineup.   Put some people that give effort or are hungry to play.  IDK....just 2nd half letdown is BS.  I dont want to say the year is lost with all that has happened to this program.  But ITS LOOKING LIKE THIS YEAR IS A LOSS....and it sucks cause it's Jimmond's Sr season with us!   I may go Tuesday and I may seriously leave at halftime if this effort is what they consistently put in the 2nd half.  Geez....get pissed Akron...

• Like 1

I really don't like singling out players, but I think the Zips offensive woes can be atrributed largely to Utomi. I am not sure that I have ever been so let down by a player playing so passively. Utomi is an athletic freak and can shoot the lights out, but a large majority of the game I forget that he is on the floor. 

I just looked it up and he is shooting 20-60(33%) and 11-39(28%) from 3 during MAC play. That is depressing coming from a guy who is as talented as any player in our conference. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Akron shot 19% from behind arch, the philosophy of keep shooting until you hit,is not working with this group.No help to the ball on defense.Akron basketball and football will probably never be that competitive,at this point in time the way fans would like.The UofA should focus on more money on just soccer there the only sport that is consistently competitive.

17 minutes ago, dirtyolcrowe said:

Honestly, I would change my lineup.   Put some people that give effort or are hungry to play.  IDK....just 2nd half letdown is BS.  I dont want to say the year is lost with all that has happened to this program.  But ITS LOOKING LIKE THIS YEAR IS A LOSS....and it sucks cause it's Jimmond's Sr season with us!   I may go Tuesday and I may seriously leave at halftime if this effort is what they consistently put in the 2nd half.  Geez....get pissed Akron...

Change the line up how?  He could bench LCJ and start Roscoe.  Scott Walter?  EMan? The cupboard is bare.  Again, I look at BG and what Huger has done.   His first two years stunk.  Now something is working for them.  Next year the MAC will be more wide open.  I hate how this year is going, but there was no big guy other than Eman and no point guard at beginning of last season.  Cheese, Banks, and LCJ ... Ugh 

*Excellent point above about Utomi.  He doesn't even make his foul shots.  Maybe he's he one who needs to be benched.  He's a junior.  Wonder if he is planning on bailing end of season

Edited by NWAkron

30 minutes ago, zipfan84 said:

Why does this team refuse to rebound? 

Because the 6'10" starting center doesn't or is incapable of leaving his feet and playing above the rim.

This season is well on its way to huge disappointment like last year (those there was an excuse last year). If that ends up being the case, I'm only giving Groce one more year tops to show some promise. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, LZIp said:

Because the 6'10" starting center doesn't or is incapable of leaving his feet and playing above the rim.

This season is well on its way to huge disappointment like last year (those there was an excuse last year). If that ends up being the case, I'm only giving Groce one more year tops to show some promise. 

Agree.

7 minutes ago, LZIp said:

What are you talking about? I saw him leave his feet to shoot a 3 

55 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

Change the line up how?  He could bench LCJ and start Roscoe.  Scott Walter?  EMan? The cupboard is bare.  Again, I look at BG and what Huger has done.   His first two years stunk.  Now something is working for them.  Next year the MAC will be more wide open.  I hate how this year is going, but there was no big guy other than Eman and no point guard at beginning of last season.  Cheese, Banks, and LCJ ... Ugh 

*Excellent point above about Utomi.  He doesn't even make his foul shots.  Maybe he's he one who needs to be benched.  He's a junior.  Wonder if he is planning on bailing end of season

its a fair question and yeah....i dont know the answer but this is a pattern that has already been established.   Its a young team that hasn't played enough together; but i remember the promise and excitement back in Nov.  now...its predictable.  shoot a lot of 3's and hope.   this could have been year one of an improvement...now it's trending to be year two of disappointment. 

38 minutes ago, LZIp said:

Yes, the MAC should be significantly weaker next season. If we're still battling to just get a home 1st round game, I'll have my pitchfork sharpened and ready to go.

Edited by kreed5120
  • Like 1