Game 23- PCCC Golden Flushes

clarkwgriswold

Defensive rating or defensive efficiency is a statistic used in basketball to measure an individual player's efficiency at preventing the other team from scoring points. It was created by author and statistician Dean Oliver. The formula is: Defensive Player Rating = (Players Steals*Blocks) + Opponents Differential= 1/5 of possessions - Times blown by + Deflections * OAPDW( Official Adjusted Players Defensive Withstand . This stat can't be influenced by the defense of a player's teammates. Source 

Teamrankings.com

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Dr Z said:

Defensive rating or defensive efficiency is a statistic used in basketball to measure an individual player's efficiency at preventing the other team from scoring points. It was created by author and statistician Dean Oliver. The formula is: Defensive Player Rating = (Players Steals*Blocks) + Opponents Differential= 1/5 of possessions - Times blown by + Deflections * OAPDW( Official Adjusted Players Defensive Withstand . This stat can't be influenced by the defense of a player's teammates. Source 

Teamrankings.com

There's also a team calculation that involves a formula utilizing field goals attempted, offensive rebounds, turnovers and the total number of possessions.

Unfortunately we missed the game due to the date change :unsure: !

Just watched the replay. Impressive defensive effort throughout. I especially liked the steals and breakout scoring. I gotta think that led to the better ball movement and 3 point shooting in the 2nd half. We'll see what this team is made of on Tuesday.

Go Zips!

Even though this was a rivalry game, I noticed it was a very competitive and clean game, no trash talking, no posturing, and no dustups during the post game handshakes.  I really believe that Groce has recruited class guys on this team.  I also give Groce credit for the win against Kent considering we only had 2 players that played in this rivalry game last year, Ivey and Utomi.  (I believe E man was already out last year).  

We shot 48% from the field and 41% from 3 point.  We also shot 23 3 balls.  I think this team plays so much better when they limit their 3 ball shooting and keep it on the low twenties instead of the low thirties.   We need the higher percentage shots from the paint instead of the three balls at the end of the shot clock.  

With these numbers we can give anyone in the MAC a tough game.

4 minutes ago, 1981 grad said:

Even though this was a rivalry game, I noticed it was a very competitive and clean game, no trash talking, no posturing, and no dustups during the post game handshakes.  I really believe that Groce has recruited class guys on this team.  I also give Groce credit for the win against Kent considering we only had 2 players that played in this rivalry game last year, Ivey and Utomi.  (I believe E man was already out last year).  

We shot 48% from the field and 41% from 3 point.  We also shot 23 3 balls.  I think this team plays so much better when they limit their 3 ball shooting and keep it on the low twenties instead of the low thirties.   We need the higher percentage shots from the paint instead of the three balls at the end of the shot clock.  

With these numbers we can give anyone in the MAC a tough game.

The only sign of chippiness I saw was very early in the game when a PCCC player went to the hole and Cheese got called for a block.  The kid popped up, stood over Cheese  and said something to him, which provoked a response from Cheese.  Nothing major.  Nice to see a clean game.  I suspected we might see something after Utomi stepped in under the KSU kid on the 3 pointer, but nothing happened.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kreed5120 said:

He did around the 4 minute mark. I'm guessing he just rolled it.

Wow. Maybe he was thinking since Akron's a soccer school, he should try to draw a foul by making it look like a soccer injury? 

1 hour ago, clarkwgriswold said:

He went down like he had been shot.

Exactly. I thought at the very least it was a dislocated ankle, and at the very worst it was a blown knee. That's why I never noticed he came back in - wasn't expecting him to. 

One of the Comments of the Year came from Antino Jackson on the post game show -

"I love watching those guys lose. Can't Read, Can't Write, Kent State!" Funny that he seemed slightly happier to see Kent lose than to see Akron win? He sounds like a fan. :lol:

I thought it was interesting that Antino, despite bolting to New Mexico for his senior season, was on such friendly terms with Groce. Transfers are such a commonplace event anymore...why not wish a guy well and move onward.

• Like 1