Game 23- PCCC Golden Flushes

clarkwgriswold

2 hours ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

One of the Comments of the Year came from Antino Jackson on the post game show -

"I love watching those guys lose. Can't Read, Can't Write, Kent State!" Funny that he seemed slightly happier to see Kent lose than to see Akron win? He sounds like a fan. :lol:

I thought it was interesting that Antino, despite bolting to New Mexico for his senior season, was on such friendly terms with Groce. Transfers are such a commonplace event anymore...why not wish a guy well and move onward.

I can add to this.

When Groce landed in Illinois, the 7 foot center Meyers Leonard decided to go pro. Meyers would have been a junior and averaged 13 pts/game his sophomore year, but he was not even close to a finished product. However, nobody could blame Meyers for leaving because he ended up being a first round pick in the NBA draft and his Mom needed lots of medical help. So getting paid was a high priority. But by him leaving, Illinois had a huge whole in the roster which Groce had to try to patch with a grad transfer. Years later Meyers Leonard was coming around the practice facility. I guess no harm, no foul. Personally, I thought not only would one more year at Illinois help his fellow teammates make a run in the tourney, the added experience at that level would have done wonders for Meyer's confidence and footwork development. Anyway, Groce has a healthy attitude towards these kinds of situations and he's a long-term relationship builder. 

I would be much more concerned if it was a reoccurring leg injury. I'm by no means a medical expert, but I wouldn't see why a broken wrist would cause long-term issues. What I'm more concerned about is that he appears to be sidelined the remainder of the year which kills our depth. Also, I'm not sure when he'll be able to resume full practice. I think he has displayed some decent footwork near the basket. His issue has just been his inability to finish once he gets into position. It's kind of hard to get a feel for touch when you can't practice shooting.  

It is weird how different players react to injuries.  I think everyone on this board would agree that Noah Robotham was a different player after he hurt his knee.  I thought both Poke and Sayles showed some promise last year.  This year I think they have regressed.  Sayles seems slower this year and just does not look as aggressive as last year.  Poke displayed great shot blocking last year and had spurts of offense with some great dunks.  They both have struggled this year although Poke seems to be hitting his stride the last couple of games.

32 minutes ago, 1981 grad said:

It is weird how different players react to injuries.  I think everyone on this board would agree that Noah Robotham was a different player after he hurt his knee.  I thought both Poke and Sayles showed some promise last year.  This year I think they have regressed.  Sayles seems slower this year and just does not look as aggressive as last year.  Poke displayed great shot blocking last year and had spurts of offense with some great dunks.  They both have struggled this year although Poke seems to be hitting his stride the last couple of games.

I said this in a previous thread about Banks & Riak. Both were forces early in the season against teams like Clemson, then they got injured and regressed a bit. Injuries suck. 

My prediction is Sayles transfers after this season. 

I am most concerned that Sayles seems to fall down hard a lot.  LOL.  I think he was coming into his own last year and the injury was a set back.  Same for Poke.  Funny how getting split open like a prize deer will slow a guy down! 

We  have Williams coming on next year at 6'9".  Reece comes in at 6'6" but plays bigger.

• 9 months later...