Game 19 - Central Michigan Chippewas

clarkwgriswold

3 hours ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

I expect I'll have 2 extra tickets tonight. No handling fee ($0 x 4 = $0). No order processing fee. CK-bay™ policies are very family-friendly.

I expect I'll be at The Score prior to the game if you want them. 

Just learned that I will be working the concession stand at a Hudson HS tonight. Yippee.

No beer at The Score for me. :nutkick:

4 hours ago, clarkwgriswold said:

George's article from today's Beacon on the awful 3 point shooting.  I like how he wraps it up-  "Until then, they’d be wise to take advantage of the size they have on the inside in Deng Riak, their 6-foot-10 center, who has been woefully underutilized at this point, and his backup Jaden Sayles."   I really wish he'd stick to just giving up the facts and some quotes from the coach.

George apparently sees some offensive skills in a guy who scored 3.2 ppg in 21 minutes of play per game in his last season at ECU and a guy whose limited shooting range makes the restricted zone arc look like the 3 point line.

I'm going to take the unpopular side of GT on this one. 

Riak is a great passer. Maybe the best-passing player over 6' 10" in Zips history. He sees the floor unbelievably well for a big. But Groce needs to empower the kid to score. 

Riak gets a rebound 2 feet from the rim, and he's looking to kick it out for one of our 28% marksman to clang another three-ball. Just freaking dunk the ball. You're going up against MAC centers who'll be lucky warm the bench in the Holland Pro League one day. Dominate!!

If you can't dunk, just give a head fake and go up for the shot. You'll get fouled and go to the line, where you're actually a pretty decent free throw shooter.

I think Riak has the tools to be WAY better than what he's shown statistically thus far. He just needs to amp up his offensive aggression big time. Quit waiting for everyone else to carry the offensive load, and start throwing a few down yourself. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

Riak is a great passer. Maybe the best-passing player over 6' 10" in Zips history. He sees the floor unbelievably well for a big. But Groce needs to empower the kid to score. 

Sarcasm?   Riak hardly touches the ball on offense and rarely acts like he wants the ball.  Most of his "passes" are handoff 40 feet from the basket.  Watching these guys do a high pick and roll is pathetic and Riak never sees the ball nor is he open.  Our offense off of our center is zero.  If you want to  watch offense off of our center watch old clips of big dog passing the ball to Ivey. 

Edited by 1981 grad

42 minutes ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

I'm going to take the unpopular side of GT on this one. 

Riak gets a rebound 2 feet from the rim, and he's looking to kick it out for one of our 28% marksman to clang another three-ball. Just freaking dunk the ball. You're going up against MAC centers who'll be lucky warm the bench in the Holland Pro League one day. Dominate!!

If you can't dunk, just give a head fake and go up for the shot. You'll get fouled and go to the line, where you're actually a pretty decent free throw shooter.

I think Riak has the tools to be WAY better than what he's shown statistically thus far. He just needs to amp up his offensive aggression big time. Quit waiting for everyone else to carry the offensive load, and start throwing a few down yourself. 

I just don't think Riak has much talent on offense.  His career numbers demonstrate that.  However, they ought to at least try to get the ball in to him occasionally to keep the defense honest and he needs to be more aggressive with his opportunities.  

I think Sayles has some talent, but his tendency to disappear at times coupled with his hands of stone make me crazy.

I'm beginning to think Deng is George's long lost nephew as that's the second time he's made a comment along  those lines.

5 hours ago, RowdyZip said:

Tossed around taking the family to the game tonight so I took a look gozips.com for tickets.  Was pleasantly surprised to see they added a single game family pack (4 tickets) at a discounted rate (only $13.75 vs $15, but still).  I added a family pack to my cart and went to checkout.  $87.00.  

I'll watch on ESPN+.

You could sit in the 3rd row across from the Akron bench for less than that but you need to come to me (Richfield / Broadview Hts) to get the tickets.

Yes, I'd have to say Big Dog is the best passing big I've seen at Akron. Riak I don't think will be lighting it up for 15 a game, but I do feel he leaves points on the court. Against EMU at home, Akron was up 50-49 with 25-30 seconds left and Riak got a pass about 9 feet away from the basket with nobody between him and the basket. He could have easily took it to the hoop and dunked it to put Akron up 3, but instead he passed the ball out. He ended up getting the ball back later that possession and was forced to put up a 15 footer near the end of the shot clock. I by no means think he's a good offensive player, but I do think he needs to be more assertive when presented an opportunity for a high percentage shot.

2 hours ago, LZIp said:

I would hope they would honor the family pack at the gate and you wouldn't have to pay the ridiculous handling fees @RowdyZip

Oh yeah, no doubt.  But my kids are 3 and 5, I guess I'm just in the mood to whine at prices because I doubt they make it through more than one half.  Next year, family pack is the way to go.

And thanks ZW for the offer!