2019 Indoor Track Begins With Bang

ZipsVoice

Last year’s Indoor season was rather sucky to start but then finished with MAC titles.  2019 got off to a huge start when Mackenzie Andrews broke a school record, Curtis Richardson shone in the high jump and WOW! Matt Ludwig records the 2nd best pole vault IN THE WORLD so far in 2019.  And next Friday is the annual Wagon Wheel Challenge dual meet with the Golden Flushes, and we’re the hosts!  If you want a fun 3 hours (at most) Friday, come down and support two (M & W) of the most successful teams we’ve got!

Edited by ZipsVoice
spelling
  • Like 1

Woo Hoo!  Excitement abound.  Matt Ludwig goes 19 feet 1 and a half inches in the Pole Vault and has the #1 NCAA mark currently.  MacKenzie Andrews runs a helluva mile and then an outstanding second leg of the 4 x 400 in a must win win to cinch the Dual.  Both team comps came down to the last two events.  Lucy Bryan wins Women’s PV, Jordan Latimer won long jump, newcomer Nuh Ando dueled with teamateCurtis Richardson for a 1-2 finish in high jump.  Lots more.  Next weekend hosts to the Akron Invitational, usually lots of nationally ranked teams come...

I enjoyed watching the meet on ESPN3. The production was quite good all in all. Two areas for improvement arose though. The announcers, Dave Bacon and Jesse ?, continually gave the wrong names of the competitors or did not know their name. They needed a team spotter from Akron and Kent who would know all the names for the announcers benefit. Second, the director and the announcers were not always in sync. Many times the broadcast was something other than what the announcers were commenting on. I blame this on the director in the control trailer. Okey, that aside the meet was a classic Akron-Kent dual. It was priceless to see Ludwig malled on the PV cushion by his teammates when he set the national mark for this year. The women's 4 x 400 relay team blew away Kent at the end of the meet. Outstanding! Each event was exciting and hard to predict the outcome. The crowd showed well and the event was first class. Akron puts on a hell of an indoor meet and our athletes respond to it. I hope the next meet, the Akron Invitational, is also streamed on ESPN.  

• Like 2

Awesome!!!! Thanks @ZipsVoice and @72 Roo.

5 hours ago, 72 Roo said:

It was priceless to see Ludwig mauled on the PV cushion by his teammates when he set the national mark for this year.   

Edited by Zip_ME87
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, shaking my head at this weekend's Akron Invitational.  I've been following Zips track and field since they helped my kid get back on his feet after ACL surgery back in the early 2000s.  I've got the ultimate respect for what the program has become, but this year's Akron Invitational was, well, not so much.  We still had some nice Zip performances, Jordan Latimer in the long jump setting a new school record, Curtis Richardson in the High Jump over 7' 1", Abby Wilson winning two weight events, yada yada.  But the field was the weakest EVER.  Past years saw Big Ten schools like Ohio State, Michigan, Michigan State Rutgers, Penn State send teams.  Oklahoma, Tennessee, Florida, have sent athletes as recently as three years ago.  But due to an explosion of new indoor facilities, especially at Michigan, the fields have dwindled, and this year was more like an all-comers meet.  Kent State, not a bad program mind you, was probably the strongest competition.  There were two NAIA schools here!  not even NCAA!  What a shame.  And the meet was waaayyyy too spread out.  Friday started with the heptathalon and pentathalon sprints and then nothing on the track for 3 hours!  Not a lot for a future recruit to get excited about, nor a gnarly ol' track fan either.

• Sad 1