Game 20- Northern Illinois Huskies

clarkwgriswold

9 hours ago, kreed5120 said:

Hated the decision to foul. We're terrible in boxing out on free throws. They missed an easy tip in that could have tied it.

NIU did just hit like 4 threes down the stretch and we don't want to foul a shooter from beyond the arc. But you are correct, that was too close.

Edited by Illini Zip

We shot well in the second half.  I also noticed at halftime that we came out early and did 3 point shooting drills.  I watched Roscoe drain about 5 in a row and thought he would look good in the second half.  Of course he air balled his first 3 ball but made his second.  Glad to see Groce do something different and it paid off.  We shot 40% from 3 ball land.  Finally!!!   This team is playing good defense. 

The first 10 minutes was tough to watch.  I can tell you our offense, Utomi, 3, Riak, 3, and Jackson 2 drives to the basket.  It was a struggle.  When this team was up 8 with 4 minutes to go I knew that N. Illinois was going to make a run.  We just cannot keep a lead late in the game.  They switched to a zone, we looked lost and then the game got tied.  It is great that this team is finally winning close games.  Jackson played his best Mac game and was able to finish at the basket or draw a foul.  Great win for the Zips.  Need to win one on the road.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NWAkron said:

Watching replay, Jackie Windon made good point that a couple of these passes to Deng were poor and too low.  One bounced off Dengs shin and one bounce pass was at below the knee as well. 

She reads ZipsNation and saw my post about refraining from making bounce passes to a 7 footer. ;):P

Not sure I understand the negativity directed towards Riak. He was quite physical today, did a good job of securing rebounds, altered shots, etc. He doesn't have the best hands, but I don't believe his mistakes were anymore detrimental than the mistakes of others. 

Edited by Let'sGoZips94

9 hours ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

She reads ZipsNation and saw my post about refraining from making bounce passes to a 7 footer. ;):P

Not sure I understand the negativity directed towards Riak. He was quite physical today, did a good job of securing rebounds, altered shots, etc. He doesn't have the best hands, but I don't believe his mistakes were anymore detrimental than the mistakes of others. 

Riak is indeed a good rim protector and adequate rebounder. However, when he gets an offensive rebound in close he needs to attack and either score or get fouled. Rather, he treats the ball as a hot potato and can't wait to get rid of it. This drives me CRAZY!

Catching a pass is a whole other story........

11 minutes ago, zvillezip said:

I think Eman deserves an extended opportunity at the center spot.  Rim protector and rebounder and in the past he has been able to make layups.  If he fouls out oh well you have Riak and Sayles.  

I think the pick and roll would be more effective with him as well. Have to watch out for him going to the basket for the oop.

10 hours ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

Sorry Let'sGo, but I can't agree with you on this one.  Riak had a rough game, especially a rough start with a couple of ugly early turnovers that led to easy points at the other end and he just seemed tentative all day.   To his credit, he stuck with it and was in at crunch time.

To his credit, I think his defense gets overlooked.  I heard one of the players in an interview a couple of weeks ago talk about how much of a leader he is on the defensive end.

Attacking the basket is a good thing.  After Riak gets a rebound he needs to attack the basket.  Yesterday I saw him make a 3 pointer, attempt a fade a way 8 footer, and turn the ball over several times passing the ball outside.  Jackson attacked the basket and finished at the basket.  If you noticed he did not circle around in the paint as he has in previous games.  Groce has to teach these guys a basic rule in basketball.  When you have the ball in the paint, take it to the hoop.  You either get fouled, get blocked, or get a layup.  Anytime you have a basketball play where you have a 67% chance of scoring you make that play.  This team has the athleticism and quickness to get to the hoop.  We just need to do a better job of finishing.

• Like 2