MAC Basketball Attendance Article

Akron1

4 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

EMU offers a deal called the Little Caesars 4 pack. You get 4 GA tickets, 4 slices of pizza, and 4 drinks for $34. The same 4 pack without a drink and pizza would have cost rowdyzip $87. I'm sure plenty of other schools are offering better promotions than we do.

image.png

Well, sure, but those are Ypsilanti dollars.  :wave:

• Haha 1

After seeing the $10 parking charge, I did a little internet research on what others charge. Some info was tough to find and a little sketchy and others had none, but this is what I could find:

Buffalo - FREE

YSU - $5

KSU - $3 and FREE

Toledo - included in cost of single game ticket

OSU - $10 max

WMU - FREE 

UC - $10

Miami - $5

BGSU - $10 and $5

NIU - FREE

CMU - $10 and FREE

Doubling your parking fee when your team is rebuilding and your attendance is plummeting is not a way to attract fans. I also think most of the main concession items are $1 too high.

3 minutes ago, ewbrooman1 said:

After seeing the $10 parking charge, I did a little internet research on what others charge. Some info was tough to find and a little sketchy and others had none, but this is what I could find:

Buffalo - FREE

YSU - $5

KSU - $3 and FREE

Toledo - included in cost of single game ticket

OSU - $10 max

WMU - FREE 

UC - $10

Miami - $5

BGSU - $10 and $5

NIU - FREE

CMU - $10 and FREE

Doubling your parking fee when your team is rebuilding and your attendance is plummeting is not a way to attract fans. I also think most of the main concession items are $1 too high.

And in the Tommy Evans lounge you can only get popcorn at halftime and in the size of a Dixie cup.  (I exaggerate but not by much)

11 hours ago, clarkwgriswold said:

Have you not seen the Dizzy Spin Contest or the Hippity Hop Ball Race at the basketball games?  :D

Clark, thank you for reminding me. I remember the first time I saw these events. I thought my life was complete and the Good Lord could take me. I hope heaven has Hippity Hop Balls or is it hell that has 'em?

• Like 1

Without quoting a bunch of posts, here are a few of my thoughts...

- $10 parking is a joke; it should at most be $5. They used to only charge parking during big games.

- Concessions lack any sort of personal touch to connect with fans - Zippy meals, better pricing, marketing campaigns, etc.

- The in-season ticket package has a stagnant price ($75 or something like that) despite not being a season ticket ($60 for season tickets) and a dwindling number of games included each time it's advertised. That's some Can't State math/logic...

- The marketing is really, really bad. They seem content with the fan base they currently have, having made somewhat weak attempts to draw the greater Akron community to the games. 

- Dizzy bat is the single greatest time out promotion ever. They need to do it every time out, minus maybe once for the kids on the bouncy balls. They should also get the zorb balls or whatever they're called and have 2 people run at each other, colliding, and seeing who moves the furthest.

- The media production of the games needs to get better, both in game and before/after. I know Chad is doing a great job with what he has, but there needs to be more support from the University to take the production to the next level. That will only help with marketing the University. 

- The timing of certain entertainment factors is headscratching at times. The championship level soccer program was introduced at halftime earlier this season, with very little/no prior announcement. Most people had already gone to walk around. There is no common chant to get the crowd engaged (FSU's War Chant, Hang on Sloopy for OSUcks, etc.). 

This isn't just a basketball problem either. The University lacks a mind/visionary with the drive and creativity to make Akron something special. 

EDIT: I forgot one MASSIVE frustration...

No matter who they have manning the t-shirt cannon, nobody knows how to 1) wrap the t-shirts so they don't open up mid flight or 2) fire the thing properly at the correct launch angle. 

Edited by Let'sGoZips94
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

- Dizzy bat is the single greatest time out promotion ever. 

It will be entertaining right up to the point that blood's spilled on the floor, which appears to be only a matter of time.  I sure hope the school is having those kids sign some air tight releases.

And yes, I realize I'm the "you'll shoot your eye out kid" guy.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, clarkwgriswold said:

It will be entertaining right up to the point that blood's spilled on the floor, which appears to be only a matter of time.  I sure hope the school is having those kids sign some air tight releases.

And yes, I realize I'm the "you'll shoot your eye out kid" guy.

And don't ever run with scissors in your hand Clark! This message a courtesy of your loving mom.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

EDIT: I forgot one MASSIVE frustration...

No matter who they have manning the t-shirt cannon, nobody knows how to 1) wrap the t-shirts so they don't open up mid flight or 2) fire the thing properly at the correct launch angle. 

It is surprising. It always looks like whoever’s operating the thing has never so much as taken it out for a test run.

On 1/26/2019 at 11:44 AM, Blue & Gold said:

It is surprising. It always looks like whoever’s operating the thing has never so much as taken it out for a test run.

It is a matter of time until someone who in not paying attention takes a T to the face.  Once or twice a game, they fire some live rounds into the upper deck.  He usually hits the rafter once as well.  I guess the cannon is set to mirror the Zips 3 point percentage for the night.  

One other thing that is driving me nuts this year is the number of highlights shown on the big screen for the Zips' opponents.  Do we really need to replay the other team's breakaway dunks off a lazy Zips pass or a missed assignment?  I have no idea who selects the highlights, but please stop them.

21 minutes ago, Zip JD said:

It is a matter of time until someone who in not paying attention takes a T to the face.  Once or twice a game, they fire some live rounds into the upper deck.  He usually hits the rafter once as well.  I guess the cannon is set to mirror the Zips 3 point percentage for the night.  

Uh oh, now NWAkron is going to have flashbacks!

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Zip JD said:

I am an actual victim of the T-shirt cannon.  I took one right to the face.  And since I sit in the lower bowl, it was like a line drive.  Fortunately, I didn't have eyeglasses on at that moment.

Edited by NWAkron
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, clarkwgriswold said:

OK, on the venting theme, could someone please explain to me why "Fat Bottomed Girls" is a staple in the pep band repertoire?   It's even more questionable with the dance team and cheerleaders on the floor.

It's probably because it's so fitting.

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

Some good news: I was driving downtown yesterday and on the Beacon Tower they now have an electronic news feed...and one of the headlines they had up there was "Akron 67 Northern Illinois 65".  Maybe the new owner gets it that Akron IS the local team...not PCCC or OSU.

You should have waited for the end of the scroll.  It actually read "Akron- 67 Northern Illinois 65.......Riak virtually forgotten....

16 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

You should have waited for the end of the scroll.  It actually read "Akron- 67 Northern Illinois 65.......Riak virtually forgotten....

That's not a contribution. BTW one of the secretaries at my office was at the game.  She said, "what's up with your center?  He can't catch the ball." I explained that it's the passing.  They are bounce passing the ball to him at his ankles.   She was like....ohh..that makes sense.

17 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

That's not a contribution. BTW one of the secretaries at my office was at the game.  She said, "what's up with your center?  He can't catch the ball." I explained that it's the passing.  They are bounce passing the ball to him at his ankles.   She was like....ohh..that makes sense.

My post was directed at GT's repeated insistence that Riak is being underutilized.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, blueandgold said:

It's probably because it's so fitting.

3 hours ago, clarkwgriswold said:

OK, on the venting theme, could someone please explain to me why "Fat Bottomed Girls" is a staple in the pep band repertoire?   It's even more questionable with the dance team and cheerleaders on the floor.

You guys are getting senile. I'm on campus a couple of days a week. If you saw most of them walking around in everyday attire you would be staring.:cheers:

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

BTW one of the secretaries at my office was at the game.

God NW, no one calls them "secretaries" any more!!!  You are close to having to attend Title IX sensitivity training camp, along with all those "fat-bottom girl" haters!  :bow:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

20 minutes ago, Hilltopper said:

You guys are getting senile. I'm on campus a couple of days a week. If you saw most of them walking around in everyday attire you would be staring.:cheers:

I expect the quality and looks of the University of Southern California dance team or U of Oregon cheerleaders.  Nothing less.  Dare to dream.

Edited by NWAkron
  • Like 1