MAC Basketball Attendance Article

Akron1

On ‎1‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 10:18 AM, NWAkron said:

Some good news: I was driving downtown yesterday and on the Beacon Tower they now have an electronic news feed...and one of the headlines they had up there was "Akron 67 Northern Illinois 65".  Maybe the new owner gets it that Akron IS the local team...not PCCC or OSU.

Since you mentioned  the ABJ, the hit  job they  conducted on  U of A  for  two years  was disgusting and regrettable.  I know  for a  fact  their  relentless assault  on the school had  severe  and lasting  negative  ramifications. The local paper is a  disgrace. I wouldn't  wipe  my rear end  with  that rag!!!!!!.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, tboned said:

Since you mentioned  the ABJ, the hit  job they  conducted on  U of A  for  two years  was disgusting and regrettable.  I know  for a  fact  their  relentless assault  on the school had  severe  and lasting  negative  ramifications. The local paper is a  disgrace. I wouldn't  wipe  my rear end  with  that rag!!!!!!.

I agree.   They, especially that nasty douchbag Bob Dyer, have no sense of bettering the community...only tearing it down.   However, there is now local ownership which may change that perspective.  One can hope.

Edited by NWAkron

23 minutes ago, Hilltopper said:

Bob Dyer

Thanks.  Don't care for either of them.  Yes, Bob and I had a testy email exchange after he ripped the hiring of John Groce.  He's a nasty piece of work that one.   He doesn't have an original thought.  People write him to complain about something and he calls a few people.  Writes down some hearsay and they print it.  Or he reads someone else's article, finds his next target, and lazily interprets what they wrote and makes it "opinion." 

13 hours ago, NWAkron said:

Thanks.  Don't care for either of them.  Yes, Bob and I had a testy email exchange after he ripped the hiring of John Groce.  He's a nasty piece of work that one.   He doesn't have an original thought.  People write him to complain about something and he calls a few people.  Writes down some hearsay and they print it.  Or he reads someone else's article, finds his next target, and lazily interprets what they wrote and makes it "opinion." 

Bob and the Beacon can't seem to figure out just what he is.  Is he a columnist? A humorist?  An investigative reporter?  In the end, whatever he's trying to be is being done poorly (yet arrogantly).  Hopefully, Gatehouse will get their fill quickly.

• Thanks 1

As far as JAR concession costs, I just read an interesting article on the price of concessions at the Super Bowl that contained the following-

The stadium, opened in 2017 by Atlanta Falcons owner Arthur Blank, is known for its low prices on beer, hot dogs and refillable sodas, and those prices haven’t changed for the big game.

A regular soda, bottle of water, pretzel, popcorn and hot dog are all just $2, while nachos with cheese, waffle fries and slices of pizza go for $3. A large soda cup is $4, cheeseburgers are $5 and a chicken tender basket with fries will cost fans $6. Domestic bottled beer is going for $7 with drafts starting at $9.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/24/2019 at 8:59 AM, Akron1 said:

https://www.cleveland.com/sports/2019/01/mac-basketball-at-a-high-attendance-is-low.html

I am always selling the program as the best entertainment in town.  A friend of mine took his family of four.  They bought the Family Pack tickets for a total of $55 to sit in the bleachers, paid $10 to park, bought food for about $25 and a baseball cap for $30 for a total of $120.  He and his wife are both graduates of Akron and said that they doubt that will return to a game.  

These are big league prices and we wonder why the arena is less than half full.

The athletic department should be giving tickets away to every youth basketball program in the area and then hand them a buy one get one coupon for a return game.  Try to fill the place, go back to free parking and have good concessions at a reasonable price.  I bet they would be shocked on how much food/drink and merchandise they would sell. 

The JAR is great when it is full and our guys deserve more fan support.

The figures you mention are WAY BELOW big league prices.

Fill about half the JAR up with screaming kids everywhere but in their seats; yeah that's a great idea.

The stands seemed much fuller than other homes games (Kent excluded). I'm guessing there were just much fewer STH no shows for this game compared to others. I would have definitely liked to have seen a larger GA attendance obviously, but I was surprised to see how empty the student section was for this game. Did the university not get the memo out that Akron was facing a ranked opponent or is apathy among students just that bad? They had a great turn out for the Kent game. I would have been happy if we could have gotten half that amount for this game.

I sit up in the student section.  Generally, it is me, my wife, a group of middle aged men and at most a dozen students.  The Buffalo game, sadly, had more than usual (25 to 30?). 

The KSU game was fun in that section.  The overall attendance however, despite being the largest of the year, was a little disappointing.  

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

The stands seemed much fuller than other homes games (Kent excluded). I'm guessing there were just much fewer STH no shows for this game compared to others. I would have definitely liked to have seen a larger GA attendance obviously, but I was surprised to see how empty the student section was for this game. Did the university not get the memo out that Akron was facing a ranked opponent or is apathy among students just that bad? They had a great turn out for the Kent game. I would have been happy if we could have gotten half that amount for this game.

Does the university ever offer shuttle buses to the JAR from the Exchange Street dorms/apartments, etc? Yeah, it's not a terribly long walk, but after a long day of classes, they might not be too keen on trudging back across windy Jackson Field on a cold, windy, rainy or frigid snowy night. I know it can be brutal just walking in from the Route 8 deck. Seems like it could drop them off where the Union Street access road ends close to the JAR.

12 minutes ago, ewbrooman1 said:

Does the university ever offer shuttle buses to the JAR from the Exchange Street dorms/apartments, etc? Yeah, it's not a terribly long walk, but after a long day of classes, they might not be too keen on trudging back across windy Jackson Field on a cold, windy, rainy or frigid snowy night. I know it can be brutal just walking in from the Route 8 deck. Seems like it could drop them off where the Union Street access road ends close to the JAR.

When I graduated in 2012 there was a shuttle already that picked kids up at exchange dorms and dropped them off at the student union. It came every 15-20 minutes. It's not specifically for the games. It did it throughout the entire course of the day until 10 or 11 at night. I imagine the same service still exists. 

19 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

When I graduated in 2012 there was a shuttle already that picked kids up at exchange dorms and dropped them off at the student union. It came every 15-20 minutes. It's not specifically for the games. It did it throughout the entire course of the day until 10 or 11 at night. I imagine the same service still exists. 

I'm pretty sure the Roo Express still runs that route, so I guess that helps. It might help even more to drop off closer to the JAR.

49 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

Hmmmm, I took you as an old codger.  LOL.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 1/27/2019 at 10:21 PM, NWAkron said:

I am an actual victim of the T-shirt cannon.  I took one right to the face.  And since I sit in the lower bowl, it was like a line drive.  Fortunately, I didn't have eyeglasses on at that moment.

You need a better lawyer.

https://fox8.com/2019/04/10/woman-sues-houston-astros-for-1-million-because-she-says-t-shirt-cannon-broke-her-finger/

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Hilltopper said:

I would think the only way it would break her finger is if she was reaching up to grab a t shirt.  Therefore, she assumed the risk.  I, in the other hand, was a true victim.

• Haha 2