MAC Basketball Attendance Article

Akron1

https://theathletic.com/1397407/2019/11/21/grand-canyon-u-basketball-student-section-party/?source=shared-article

An NAIA team in the 90s, just turned into a DI program, already selling out their arena and has a bigger student body attendance record than Akron has normal attendance.

A basketball tradition created out of thin air - great article. Something I also agree with is get rid of the student section behind the hoop, move it to the side, and give them the best seats and create an environment they actually want to go to. When students start showing up more than the old folks, you at least have a good atmosphere.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Roo said:

https://theathletic.com/1397407/2019/11/21/grand-canyon-u-basketball-student-section-party/?source=shared-article

An NAIA team in the 90s, just turned into a DI program, already selling out their arena and has a bigger student body attendance record than Akron has normal attendance.

A basketball tradition created out of thin air - great article. Something I also agree with is get rid of the student section behind the hoop, move it to the side, and give them the best seats and create an environment they actually want to go to. When students start showing up more than the old folks, you at least have a good atmosphere.

Another coach who played in the MAC!!

2 hours ago, Zip JD said:

Season tix start at $60 so buy in bulk. 

I understand that but the average fan looking for something to do on a Thursday night while checking the world's most popular sporting app and seeing "tickets as low as $52" may deter them from going to a game. Only the most serious fans buy bundles.

8 minutes ago, AkronAlumnus said:

I understand that but the average fan looking for something to do on a Thursday night while checking the world's most popular sporting app and seeing "tickets as low as $52" may deter them from going to a game. Only the most serious fans buy bundles.

I was just joking about the absurd amount listed on ESPN's site.  Anyone checking for tickets on the University's site would see tickets going for $10-20 for a gen admission or upper reserved and $35 for lower reserved.

• Like 1

On 11/21/2019 at 5:16 PM, AkronAlumnus said:

"Tickets as low as $52" 

Screen Shot 2019-11-21 at 5.11.14 PM.png

Those are just the prices on Stubhub. Not many tickets for Zips basketball get sold on Stubhub so the price is high. Tickets from the University start at $15, I believe.

Edited by AyYo

2 hours ago, AyYo said:

Those are just the prices on Stubhub. Not many tickets for Zips basketball get sold on Stubhub so the price is high. Tickets from the University start at $15, I believe.

Yeah you're right they sell for $15 at zips.com but when you take a family say 1 kid and two parents you're looking at $45 to sit in bleachers. I think, personally, that's a little steep. I also think they should cram everyone into the lower section of seating creating a much louder and better game experience for the players and fans. 

1 hour ago, AkronAlumnus said:

Yeah you're right they sell for $15 at zips.com but when you take a family say 1 kid and two parents you're looking at $45 to sit in bleachers. I think, personally, that's a little steep. I also think they should cram everyone into the lower section of seating creating a much louder and better game experience for the players and fans. 

Plus $4 for about every concession item.