Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Akron1

MAC Basketball Attendance Article

Recommended Posts

I had a co-worker sneak up on me when I was scrolling past the above pic. I'm probably going to be labeled as the office perv now :tomato:

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, blueandgold said:

Yes, that's what we need!

Pretty much.  Would certainly get more "fans" to the game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Hilltopper said:

 

You guys are getting senile. I'm on campus a couple of days a week. If you saw most of them walking around in everyday attire you would be staring.:cheers:

 

Maybe the pep band guys are into a little more heft and making a request(?)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎1‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 10:18 AM, NWAkron said:

Some good news: I was driving downtown yesterday and on the Beacon Tower they now have an electronic news feed...and one of the headlines they had up there was "Akron 67 Northern Illinois 65".  Maybe the new owner gets it that Akron IS the local team...not PCCC or OSU.

 

Since you mentioned  the ABJ, the hit  job they  conducted on  U of A  for  two years  was disgusting and regrettable.  I know  for a  fact  their  relentless assault  on the school had  severe  and lasting  negative  ramifications. The local paper is a  disgrace. I wouldn't  wipe  my rear end  with  that rag!!!!!!.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, tboned said:

 

Since you mentioned  the ABJ, the hit  job they  conducted on  U of A  for  two years  was disgusting and regrettable.  I know  for a  fact  their  relentless assault  on the school had  severe  and lasting  negative  ramifications. The local paper is a  disgrace. I wouldn't  wipe  my rear end  with  that rag!!!!!!.

I agree.   They, especially that nasty douchbag Bob Dyer, have no sense of bettering the community...only tearing it down.   However, there is now local ownership which may change that perspective.  One can hope.

Edited by NWAkron

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Hilltopper said:

Bob Dyer

Thanks.  Don't care for either of them.  Yes, Bob and I had a testy email exchange after he ripped the hiring of John Groce.  He's a nasty piece of work that one.   He doesn't have an original thought.  People write him to complain about something and he calls a few people.  Writes down some hearsay and they print it.  Or he reads someone else's article, finds his next target, and lazily interprets what they wrote and makes it "opinion." 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On the topic of venting, I’d like to see the corner boards mirror each other diagonally rather than having them the same at each end zone.  For those of us that sit in the end zone, we can see team stats or individual stats, but never both at the same time.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, NWAkron said:

Thanks.  Don't care for either of them.  Yes, Bob and I had a testy email exchange after he ripped the hiring of John Groce.  He's a nasty piece of work that one.   He doesn't have an original thought.  People write him to complain about something and he calls a few people.  Writes down some hearsay and they print it.  Or he reads someone else's article, finds his next target, and lazily interprets what they wrote and makes it "opinion." 

 

Bob and the Beacon can't seem to figure out just what he is.  Is he a columnist? A humorist?  An investigative reporter?  In the end, whatever he's trying to be is being done poorly (yet arrogantly).  Hopefully, Gatehouse will get their fill quickly.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As far as JAR concession costs, I just read an interesting article on the price of concessions at the Super Bowl that contained the following-

  

The stadium, opened in 2017 by Atlanta Falcons owner Arthur Blank, is known for its low prices on beer, hot dogs and refillable sodas, and those prices haven’t changed for the big game.

A regular soda, bottle of water, pretzel, popcorn and hot dog are all just $2, while nachos with cheese, waffle fries and slices of pizza go for $3. A large soda cup is $4, cheeseburgers are $5 and a chicken tender basket with fries will cost fans $6. Domestic bottled beer is going for $7 with drafts starting at $9.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/24/2019 at 8:59 AM, Akron1 said:

https://www.cleveland.com/sports/2019/01/mac-basketball-at-a-high-attendance-is-low.html

 

I am always selling the program as the best entertainment in town.  A friend of mine took his family of four.  They bought the Family Pack tickets for a total of $55 to sit in the bleachers, paid $10 to park, bought food for about $25 and a baseball cap for $30 for a total of $120.  He and his wife are both graduates of Akron and said that they doubt that will return to a game.  

These are big league prices and we wonder why the arena is less than half full.

 

The athletic department should be giving tickets away to every youth basketball program in the area and then hand them a buy one get one coupon for a return game.  Try to fill the place, go back to free parking and have good concessions at a reasonable price.  I bet they would be shocked on how much food/drink and merchandise they would sell. 

 

The JAR is great when it is full and our guys deserve more fan support.

 

 

 

 

 

 

The figures you mention are WAY BELOW big league prices.

Fill about half the JAR up with screaming kids everywhere but in their seats; yeah that's a great idea.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We only drew  2600 for the Canadians.  A top 25  team.  Frenchy  mention the  attendance  during the post game show.  I know several people  who quit buying  season tickets  after KD's departure!   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The stands seemed much fuller than other homes games (Kent excluded). I'm guessing there were just much fewer STH no shows for this game compared to others. I would have definitely liked to have seen a larger GA attendance obviously, but I was surprised to see how empty the student section was for this game. Did the university not get the memo out that Akron was facing a ranked opponent or is apathy among students just that bad? They had a great turn out for the Kent game. I would have been happy if we could have gotten half that amount for this game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I sit up in the student section.  Generally, it is me, my wife, a group of middle aged men and at most a dozen students.  The Buffalo game, sadly, had more than usual (25 to 30?). 

 

The KSU game was fun in that section.  The overall attendance however, despite being the largest of the year, was a little disappointing.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

The stands seemed much fuller than other homes games (Kent excluded). I'm guessing there were just much fewer STH no shows for this game compared to others. I would have definitely liked to have seen a larger GA attendance obviously, but I was surprised to see how empty the student section was for this game. Did the university not get the memo out that Akron was facing a ranked opponent or is apathy among students just that bad? They had a great turn out for the Kent game. I would have been happy if we could have gotten half that amount for this game.

Does the university ever offer shuttle buses to the JAR from the Exchange Street dorms/apartments, etc? Yeah, it's not a terribly long walk, but after a long day of classes, they might not be too keen on trudging back across windy Jackson Field on a cold, windy, rainy or frigid snowy night. I know it can be brutal just walking in from the Route 8 deck. Seems like it could drop them off where the Union Street access road ends close to the JAR.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, ewbrooman1 said:

Does the university ever offer shuttle buses to the JAR from the Exchange Street dorms/apartments, etc? Yeah, it's not a terribly long walk, but after a long day of classes, they might not be too keen on trudging back across windy Jackson Field on a cold, windy, rainy or frigid snowy night. I know it can be brutal just walking in from the Route 8 deck. Seems like it could drop them off where the Union Street access road ends close to the JAR.

When I graduated in 2012 there was a shuttle already that picked kids up at exchange dorms and dropped them off at the student union. It came every 15-20 minutes. It's not specifically for the games. It did it throughout the entire course of the day until 10 or 11 at night. I imagine the same service still exists. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

When I graduated in 2012 there was a shuttle already that picked kids up at exchange dorms and dropped them off at the student union. It came every 15-20 minutes. It's not specifically for the games. It did it throughout the entire course of the day until 10 or 11 at night. I imagine the same service still exists. 

I'm pretty sure the Roo Express still runs that route, so I guess that helps. It might help even more to drop off closer to the JAR.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

When I graduated in 2012 there was a shuttle already that picked kids up at exchange dorms and dropped them off at the student union. It came every 15-20 minutes. It's not specifically for the games. It did it throughout the entire course of the day until 10 or 11 at night. I imagine the same service still exists. 

 

Hmmmm, I took you as an old codger.  LOL.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

 

Hmmmm, I took you as an old codger.  LOL.

I'm old at heart, which is what matters. Get off my lawn.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

:rofl::rofl:

14 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

I'm old at heart, which is what matters. Get off my lawn.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×