Game 21- Ohio University Bobcats

clarkwgriswold

The Zips get week off before heading into Athens to face the kittens next week.  As I recall, the game is part of a doubleheader at Athens with the OU women's team to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the Convocation Center with $5 tickets to fill the place.  The Kittens are 11-8 overall and 3-4 in the MAC.  In the MAC, they have beaten Ball State twice and Western with losses to BG, Northern, PCCC and Toledo.  After a tough start, they are on a two game win streak.    Redshirt freshman forward Jason Carter leads their scoring at 16/7 ppg while senior forward Doug Taylor leads rebounding at 7.7 rpg.

This feels like a trap game to me.

A must win before heading to Toledo.  Week off hurt or help?  Maybe good thing before two game road trip?  Or will the Zips be rusty?   IDK.  I think some rest helps a defensive-minded team as opposed to a hot shooting team that just needs to keep rolling.

Akron #1 in defense.  Last in offense.  Ohio #11 in offense and #8 (behind Akron by 10 points) in defense.  A definite on paper advantage.

Edited by NWAkron

1 hour ago, clarkwgriswold said:

The Zips get week off before heading into Athens to face the kittens next week.  As I recall, the game is part of a doubleheader at Athens with the OU women's team to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the Convocation Center with $5 tickets to fill the place.  The Kittens are 11-8 overall and 3-4 in the MAC.  In the MAC, they have beaten Ball State twice and Western with losses to BG, Northern, PCCC and Toledo.  After a tough start, they are on a two game win streak.    Redshirt freshman forward Jason Carter leads their scoring at 16/7 ppg while senior forward Doug Taylor leads rebounding at 7.7 rpg.

This feels like a trap game to me.

I disagree. I'm not sure Akron would ever overlook OU, especially with Groce at the helm. With a week off to prepare and focus too.. I don't personally see it

• Like 1

Akron still has yet to get a road win this season and it's not like we're in a position to think going in this will be an easy win. Ohio is only 1 game behind us in the standings. If we lose i don't feel it's because we looked past Ohio. It would be because frankly we suck playing on the road.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, NWAkron said:

Week off hurt or help?  Maybe good thing before two game road trip?  Or will the Zips be rusty?

I lean toward this being a good thing right now.  We're coming off a stretch that was very chaotic, fiery, weird.  The guys have had to deal with whatever came along with "The Punch".  They've been in four straight tense games, and have won three of them.  But knowing you've won a pair in a row and three of four, taking a few days off, and seeing where they are in the standings might calm the nerves, let the muscles heal a little, and get some mental and physical rest.  I lean towards us being ready for OU.

2 hours ago, zippy5 said:

I disagree. I'm not sure Akron would ever overlook OU, especially with Groce at the helm. With a week off to prepare and focus too.. I don't personally see it

I didn't mean to imply they would overlook OU, rather that I think OU may play way over their heads with the big crowd, etc. 

35 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

I didn't mean to imply they would overlook OU, rather that I think OU may play way over their heads with the big crowd, etc. 

Hard to win at NIU because there's no crowd.   Hard to win at OU because crowd is too big.  But Akrons crowd is in the middle and teams can't win at the JAR.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, ZipsVoice said:

I lean toward this being a good thing right now.  We're coming off a stretch that was very chaotic, fiery, weird.  The guys have had to deal with whatever came along with "The Punch".  They've been in four straight tense games, and have won three of them.  But knowing you've won a pair in a row and three of four, taking a few days off, and seeing where they are in the standings might calm the nerves, let the muscles heal a little, and get some mental and physical rest.  I lean towards us being ready for OU.

Those last 3 home games (to me as a fan) felt like MAC tourney games with all the anxiety, tension, directional schools, and last second three-pointers.  Guys can use a rest I think.

• Like 1

After watching Buffalo lose last night it makes you realize how difficult it is to win on the road.  They have a great veteran team and have lost 2 road games.  It reminded me of what KD used to say, that opposing teams always brought their A game when they played Akron based on our past success.  Now Buffalo is the class of the MAC.

We need our 2 veterans, Utomi and Ivey to have great games.  Also, we won against N. Illinois because Jackson had a great game.  We need him to play well on the road.  That simply has not happened.  WE need our first road win.  Go Zips!!!

• Like 1