Game 22- Toledo Rockets

clarkwgriswold

The Zips, fresh off of their first road win of the season, head into John F. Savage Arena Tuesday night to face the 18-4 Toledo Rockets.   The Rockets are 6-3 in the MAC and are on a three game win streak.  MAC West preseason first team  6'4" senior guard Jaelan Sanders leads Sprockets scoring with 16.3 ppg. Missouri transfer  6'6" junior forward Willie Jackson leads rebounding at at 10.1 rpg.  

38 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

The Zips, fresh off of their first road win of the season, head into John F. Savage Arena Tuesday night to face the 18-4 Toledo Rockets.   The Rockets are 6-3 in the MAC and are on a three game win streak.  MAC West preseason first team  6'4" senior guard Jaelan Sanders leads Sprockets scoring with 16.3 ppg. Missouri transfer  6'6" junior forward Willie Jackson leads rebounding at at 10.1 rpg.  

Ahhh...Willie Jackson.  Something about a car?

• Haha 1

Probably not the thread for it, but the rest of conference play is going to be really telling for the Zips with the likes of Toledo, Buffalo (2x) BG (2x), and Kent (2x) left. 

Compared to last year, we are already only 1 win away from matching our conference and overall win total, which has me off of the ledge compared to the beginning of conference play when we were getting blown out by NIU. Who knew NIU would be contenders in the West and knock off Buffalo at that point though?

Going 5-5 in the final 10 would have me content as the program would be showing improvement by a solid margin over last year . That would also put us in realistic range to get to that coveted "20 win season" by winning a few games in the conference tourney. Of course, I wouldn't mind us doing better! These games are vital to our seeding in the tourney. as we will be duking it out with the top 4 teams in the East and the current 1st place in the West.

This team struggles so much offensively I will be curious if  we can play good defense the entire game against the best of the MAC.  A road win against Toledo would work wonders for the confidence of this team.  We still look terrible when we try to sit on a lead.  We struggled to close a game with a 26 point lead.  Ohio had a couple of unforced turnovers at the end of the game or it could have been more interesting.  I think Groce is correct when he indicated that this team has to get better to compete with the best teams in the MAC.  WE need to get more offense from our center position.  (4 points yesterday on 2 of 7 shooting).  I think that if this team can shoot 40% or better that it will have a chance to win if we continue to play great defense.

16 hours ago, clarkwgriswold said:

I had almost forgotten about the Sprockets; Now is the time that we dance.

Zips by 14.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, kreed5120 said:

I know the Zips have played at a slower pace all season, but Toledo's biggest weakness is athleticism. I'd like to see the Zips push the ball off of rebounds and turnovers and see if it can lead to some easy points in transition. 

I think Akron has shown the ability in recent games to adjust when their shots aren't falling, and their backup plan is driving to the basket. Cheese, Jackson, and Ivey have been HUGE in that sense. They're gonna need to keep it up tonight. 

The Zips seem to be playing a little more up tempo which is something I was hoping to see.  Their regular offense all to often seems to get bogged down so I like to see them in transition.  I also think that type of game suits guys like Jackson, Ivey and Cheese.

The next couple of weeks, starting tonight, are going to tell us a lot about this squad.  Are they the team we were at our wit's end with as little as a couple of weeks ago or are they now growing into the team we all hoped they'd be?  We'll find out soon.

• Confused 1

8 minutes ago, LZIp said:

20 points at the half. Amazing how this team can't even get lucky and shoot great one game. :tomato:

We only have to score 5 more points to avoid being NC State.

20 in a half doubles what Can't State did in the 1st half of their '08 NCAA Tournament appearance. Never forget.