2019 February National Signing Day

13 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

So has an absolute stud-looking 6-6 WR from Westlake named Kevin Walls.  I saw the 6-6 WR from Massillon (Something Morgan) play a few times this year & Kevin Wall’s video blows him out of the water. Kevin is FAST & a legit WR, not just an athlete like the Massillon kid.

Do you have a link to his video? I can't even find him on hudl!

1 hour ago, Balsy said:

I've been severely behind on paying attention to recruiting.  How is the class panning out for us?  Are we losing the Bowden guys, and who are we picking up?  Thanks for anyone who wants to give a quick sorta synapsis :) 

From what I've seen we've won a handful of really nice recruiting battles. Hayes-Patrick and Corey Thomas are the 6th and 8th highest grade 247 has ever given to a Zips recruit. They've been tracking recruiting since the early 2000s. The class as a whole currently ranks 10th in the MAC, but that's more to do with the lack of depth in the class. As a whole I feel Arth has done a good job salvaging this recruiting class the best he could. 

https://247sports.com/player/quevan-lawson-46039289/

• Thanks 1

So I went through and used the class calculator for 247 and corrected things based on how they presently are now. Note that this doesn't include Demetrick Watts (no profile), Kevin Walls (no profile), and Adetutu (counted towards last years class even though he shouldn't have), so the score is slightly understated. We should have a class score of 123.17, good enough for national overall of 120. Ironically enough, what we perceived to be Bowden's best class last year, was ranked 120th overall and only had a score of 114. That class also ended up having 3 non-qualifers in it. Prior to last year, TB never even had a score above 100...and he always had players who ended up being non-qualifers, so even those were inflated.

I think its safe to say Arth and Co have done a heck of a job, considering history AND considering the circumstances of a short recruiting season.

Edited by LZIp
  • Like 1

2019 Akron Football National Letter of Intent Signees

Name                            Pos.    Elig.    Ht.    Wt.       Hometown | High School | Previous School

Randy Cochran, Jr.          DB      Fr.     6-0    175      Doraville, Ga. | Norcross

Jordan Daniels                OL      Fr.     6-5    275      Huntersville, N.C. | North Mecklenburg

Adetutu Daranijo $           DB      Fr.    5-10   200      Fort Lauderdale, Fla. | St. Thomas Aquinas

Zach Gibson                   QB      Fr.     6-3    215      Alpharetta, Ga. | Johns Creek

Xavior Gray                     OL      Fr.     6-9    315      Massillon, Ohio | Jackson

Peter Hayes-Patrick         RB      Fr.     6-0    204      Orlando, Fla. | Winter Park

Caleb Herring                  OL      Fr.     6-7    320      Lakewood, Ohio | St. Edward

Daniel Lavelle                  DL      Fr.     6-4    260      Forsyth, Ga. | Mary Persons

Quevan Lawson               LB       Fr.     6-4    225      Ashburn, Ga. | Turner County

Kyshad Mack                  DB      Fr.     6-1    200      Massillon, Ohio | Massillon Washington        

Michael Mathison            WR      Fr.    5-10   175      Covington, Ga. | Newton

Tyson McDonald             DB      Fr.     6-2    195      Corona, Calif. | Eleanor Roosevelt

Owen Murphy                  OL      Fr.     6-6    270      Cleveland, Ohio | St. Ignatius

Julian Richardson            LB       Fr.     6-2    210      Albany, Ga. | Westover

Kyle Romenick                 P       Fr.     6-2    220      Fort Mill, S.C. | Fort Mill

Michael Scott $                LB       Jr.     6-3    230      Tallahassee, Fla. | North Florida Christian | Iowa Western CC

Keyshawn Swanson        DB      Fr.    5-11   180      Pensacola, Fla. | West Florida

Corey Thomas, Jr.           DB      Fr.     6-5    200      Pittsburgh, Pa. | Penn Hills

Jarred Uran                     LB       Fr.     6-2    195      Cincinnati, Ohio | La Salle

Kevin Walls                    WR      Fr.     6-6    215      Westlake, Ohio | Westlake

AJ Watts                         DB      Fr.     6-1    208      Columbus, Ga. | Carver

Demetrick Watts II           LB       Jr.     6-3    230      Riverside, Calif. | Hillcrest | Humboldt State

Bryce Wilson                   DL      Fr.     6-3    275      Lilburn, Ga. | Parkview        

$ Mid-year enrollee

2019 Akron Football Walk-on Commitments

Name                            Pos.    Elig.    Ht.    Wt.       Hometown | High School

Ryan Beckman                OL      Fr.     6-3    305      Avon Lake, Ohio | Avon Lake

Nick Demchuk                 QB      Fr.     6-3    200      Cleveland, Ohio | Benedictine

Noah Garrett                    P       Fr.     6-3    175      Mentor, Ohio | Mentor

Taylor Griffin                   RB      Fr.    5-11   195      Strongsville, Ohio | Strongsville

Jory Mattox                     OL      Fr.     6-3    290      Massillon, Ohio | Massillon Washington

Jordan Maul                    DL      Fr.     6-4    325      Steubenville, Ohio | Central Catholic

Tank McClendon             OL      Fr.    5-11   270      Lima, Ohio | Lima Senior

Mason McMillen               LB       Fr.    5-11   200      Wadsworth, Ohio | Wadsworth

Shawn Naim                   WR      Fr.     6-4    195      Rocky River, Ohio | Lutheran West

Alex Robarge                  OL      Fr.     6-5    325      Chagrin Falls, Ohio | Kenston

Connor Shell                   LB       Fr.     6-1    190      Bay Village, Ohio | Bay Village

• Like 4

5 hours ago, LZIp said:

So I went through and used the class calculator for 247 and corrected things based on how they presently are now. Note that this doesn't include Demetrick Watts (no profile), Kevin Walls (no profile), and Adetutu (counted towards last years class even though he shouldn't have), so the score is slightly understated. We should have a class score of 123.17, good enough for national overall of 120. Ironically enough, what we perceived to be Bowden's best class last year, was ranked 120th overall and only had a score of 114. That class also ended up having 3 non-qualifers in it. Prior to last year, TB never even had a score above 100...and he always had players who ended up being non-qualifers, so even those were inflated.

I think its safe to say Arth and Co have done a heck of a job, considering history AND considering the circumstances of a short recruiting season.

We obviously don't know how this will play out one year,two years on down the road.Players have to play before we know how good/bad they are. But,for those who wanted more NE Ohio recruits,it appears these guys have have made a BIG push in that direction. We will see how that translates to improvement in the program. But,if Arth et.al can coach 'em up and install a rational offensive system we should see some improvement if not this season but next.

• Like 2

I'm really liking the looks of this class.  The only thing lacking, IMHO, is a beefy DT.  We were in the running for two good ones but one signed with Virginia Tech & the other signed with Houston.

Here's an odd factoid: no Summit county players in this class.

I'm still crossing my fingers for East's DeeArius Reese.  He's the beefy DT we could really use, coming in at 6-2, 285.  Word on the street is our two East recruits (DeeArius & Kyre Williams) may have some qualifying academic work they need to handle.

6 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

I'm really liking the looks of this class.  The only thing lacking, IMHO, is a beefy DT.  We were in the running for two good ones but one signed with Virginia Tech & the other signed with Houston.

I'm still crossing my fingers for East's DeeArius Reese.  He's the beefy DT we could really use, coming in at 6-2, 285.  Word on the street is our two East recruits (DeeArius & Kyre Williams) may have some qualifying academic work they need to handle.

7 minutes ago, 94zipgrad said:

Thanks!  Wonder what that means DeeArius Reese "Dual" signs with Ashland University and Iowa Western CC?  Is that like a promise to attend Ashland after a year at Iowa Western?  If he's going to Ashland, Lee Owens got a tough one.  (He's better than DeAndre Brimage, IMHO.)

1 minute ago, Blue & Gold said:

Thanks!  Wonder what that means DeeArius Reese "Dual" signs with Ashland University and Iowa Western CC?  Is that like a promise to attend Ashland after a year at Iowa Western?  If he's going to Ashland, Lee Owens got a tough one.  (He's better than DeAndre Brimage, IMHO.)

I think it means Juco to address grades than to Ashland

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

I think they envision Bryce Wilson (275) filling that role. Switching to the 3-4, we need more DEs/LBs and they definitely seemed to emphasize that.