Game 24- Buffalo Bulls

clarkwgriswold

I don't remember Akron ever knocking off a ranked team.  We lost to a really good VCU team at home that may have been ranked on last second shot but I believe that is close as we have gotten.  Might be our best opportunity to win against a ranked team.  If we play as well as we did in the second half we should be in the game at the end.  Go Zips!! 

• Like 1

The shooting was great in the second half against PCCC, but the rebounding made a huge "rebound" too.  The guys seemed to take note of Groce harping on them in the early timeout in the second half and started doing better on the boards.  They'll need that Tuesday night as Buffalo gets on the boards including their guards.

• Like 1

Buffalo's statistical positions in the MAC:

3rd in blocked shots

1st in assists

3rd in steals

1st in turnover margin

1st in assist to turnover ratio  

3rd in offensive rebounding

10th in rebounding defense

6th in rebounding margin

7th in 3 point percentage

2nd in 3 pointers made

3rd in FG percentage

1st in PPG (85 a game)

7th in defense (71 a game)

1st in point differential

31 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

Buffalo's statistical positions in the MAC:

3rd in blocked shots

1st in assists

3rd in steals

1st in turnover margin

1st in assist to turnover ratio  

3rd in offensive rebounding

10th in rebounding defense

6th in rebounding margin

7th in 3 point percentage

2nd in 3 pointers made

3rd in FG percentage

1st in PPG (85 a game)

7th in defense (71 a game)

1st in point differential

Looks pretty average:rolleyes:

2 hours ago, clarkwgriswold said:

The shooting was great in the second half against PCCC, but the rebounding made a huge "rebound" too.  The guys seemed to take note of Groce harping on them in the early timeout in the second half and started doing better on the boards.  They'll need that Tuesday night as Buffalo gets on the boards including their guards.

Could you tell if he was upset at the whole squad, or just/mainly Riak.  Riak’s head was still in halftime break to start the 2nd half. Groce lit in to him & put his butt on the bench. It was a good move. Riak came back in & had a really nice 2nd half. I always wanna see more fire in the belly with him. Maybe this summer he can watch some old video of Tree. Lol

Edited by Blue & Gold

Groce indicated in postgame that he talked to the team when Kent took a 4 point lead in the second half.  I watched a replay of the game about how we were outrebounded and you have to give Kent credit in that they attacked the boards on the offensive end while Akron was more concerned about getting back on defense.  Several of the offensive boards were when Kent drove the lane and Riak or Eman were rim protectors against guys driving the middle.  This left their man open for a rebound with nobody putting a body on him.  One of the perimeter defenders needs to come down to the paint to put a body on the guy that our center is convering so that he cannot get an offensive rebound.  Another offensive rebound was on Roscoe just not getting a body on his man.  Groce took him out rather quickly and he did not contribute much on Friday.  I thought Riak did a good job on the boards.

10 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

Could you tell if he was upset at the whole squad, or just/mainly Riak.  Riak’s head was still in halftime break to start the 2nd half. Groce lit in to him & put his butt on the bench. It was a good move. Riak came back in & had a really nice 2nd half. I always wanna see more fire in the belly with him. Maybe this summer he can watch some old video of Tree. Lol

I just picked up on it like 1981 grad, from the postgame.  

• Like 1

Rebounding is a team effort. If you look at the box score you will see Ken+ had 9 players with a rebound, 6 with 4+ rebounds, and their leading rebounder was a guard with 6. We talked about Riak stepping up to help clean up the glass, but Cheese ended up finishing with a game high 8 rebounds. I love the way he has developed this season. He's stuffing all the stat categories. Ivey 2.0

Edited by kreed5120
  • Like 3

20 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

Rebounding is a team effort. If you look at the box score you will see Ken+ had 9 players with a rebound, 6 with 4+ rebounds, and their leading rebounder was a guard with 6. We talked about Riak stepping up to help clean up the glass, but Cheese ended up finishing with a game high 8 rebounds. I love the way he has developed this season. He's stuffing all the stat categories. Ivey 2.0

I love how he's aggressive and attacks off of the dribble.  While others will jab step or catch and shoot the three, he looks first to go to the hoop.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, 1981 grad said:

I watched a replay of the game about how we were outrebounded and you have to give Kent credit in that they attacked the boards on the offensive end while Akron was more concerned about getting back on defense.

This may be an interesting little pickle to watch.  It appears Groce has really been stressing getting back on D.  I only guess at this because while watching the bench, the players were constantly waving the guys back on D when we missed a shot.  So I assume they're picking up on that urgency to get back from the coaching.  Our D's been absolutely top shelf, but I wonder if a bit of that may come at the expense of offensive rebounding?

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

This may be an interesting little pickle to watch.  It appears Groce has really been stressing getting back on D.  I only guess at this because while watching the bench, the players were constantly waving the guys back on D when we missed a shot.  So I assume they're picking up on that urgency to get back from the coaching.  Our D's been absolutely top shelf, but I wonder if a bit of that may come at the expense of offensive rebounding?

There could be something to that.  The Zips are 10th in the MAC in offensive rebounds and last in rebounding margin.

UB has barely hung on to their rankings:  25 in AP, 24 in Coaches Poll (Toledo receives one vote here also).  

As an illustration of the steep hill to climb for the MAC to get 2 bids in the current NCAA climate, Maryland (18-6) hopped into the poll and over UB (20-3) by beating mighty Nebraska (3-10 Big 10).  Bulls may have a shot if they win out and lose a close game in the final, but I'm betting another loss and the committee finds a way to leave them out.

Edited by RowdyZip

What's hurting Buffalo is the quality teams they beat OOC are beginning to look not so quality. What was 3 really great wins now looks like 1.

WVU - 2-9 in Big 12

Syracuse - Is actually still doing quite well at 8-3 in ACC

USF - Lost 3 of last 4 games, including losing by 30 to Gonzaga

Edited by kreed5120