Game 24- Buffalo Bulls

clarkwgriswold

The Zips ad for this game indicated that last ranked team we faced in the Jar was in 06-07 season.  I could not remember who we played and after checking the schedule from that season my educated guess was Nevada and we loss by 2 points.  It was a bracket buster game and we got Nevada on the schedule because the rule of the bracket buster was that you had to play the team the following season at their arena.  We played at Nevada in 05-06.   It was a great way of bringing a quality opponent to the Jar.

I also noticed we played Dukes that year toward the end of the season probably in another bracket buster.  Any thoughts on a home and home with the Dukes?   Too soon?

14 minutes ago, 1981 grad said:

The Zips ad for this game indicated that last ranked team we faced in the Jar was in 06-07 season.  I could not remember who we played and after checking the schedule from that season my educated guess was Nevada and we loss by 2 points.  It was a bracket buster game and we got Nevada on the schedule because the rule of the bracket buster was that you had to play the team the following season at their arena.  We played at Nevada in 05-06.   It was a great way of bringing a quality opponent to the Jar.

I also noticed we played Dukes that year toward the end of the season probably in another bracket buster.  Any thoughts on a home and home with the Dukes?   Too soon?

Personally, I'd like it and I feel it makes a lot of sense for both programs. Both teams seem to have trouble attracting decent quality teams OOC to their respective home arenas. The cities are also two hours apart so it makes for an easy bus ride and wouldn't require a hotel stay, saving both teams money. Dambrot won't agree to it as I imagine he still wants to recruit the Akron area hard and one of his selling points would be that the A-10 is a better conference and that Duquesne is therefore a more elite program. Scheduling a home and home would be a sign that both programs are on equal footing, which they pretty much are, but Dambrot won't admit that.

No. 25 Buffalo clings to ranking heading to Akron

Buffalo, which hung on in the rankings on Monday at No. 25, will play a pair of road games this week, the first being against Akron on Tuesday.

Buffalo (20-3, 8-2 MAC) will also play at Toledo on Friday.

The Bulls, following a 92-88 loss at Bowling Green on Feb. 1, had eight days to stew over that defeat and seemed on the verge of stewing over their first losing streak of the season when visiting Central Michigan took a 32-14 lead in the first half on Saturday.

But with third-leading scorer and leading rebounder Nick Perkins sitting out the first half for a violation of team rules, the Bulls quickly restored order.

Buffalo rallied to pull within five at halftime and then dominated Central Michigan in the second half to earn a 90-76 win as it heads for a more routine schedule in the coming days.

"I thought we were really good (Saturday) after those first 12 minutes," Buffalo head coach Nate Oats after the Central Michigan win. "After that initial charge by them, we got back to playing that blue-collar brand of basketball that has won us a lot of games this year."

Buffalo, which dropped two spots in this week's poll, is ranked for the 14th consecutive week.

If there is one concern for the Bulls, it's the health of senior guard and leading scorer C.J. Massinburg, who is battling a shoulder injury.

Massinburg was scoreless in the first half against Central Michigan, but rebounded in the second half to score 18 points. He is averaging 18.4 points this season.

"It was definitely killing me," Massinburg told the Buffalo News. "When you know that you're a guy that will lay your whole body out there for the team, and nothing is going your way, it definitely hurt me. But I just tried to stay positive through it and encourage my teammates."

Akron (14-9, 6-4) is in third place in the MAC East standings, two games behind Bowling Green and Buffalo.

The Zips are playing their best basketball of the season, having won four of their last five games and coming off a 72-53 home win over Kent State last Friday.

Coached by former Ohio University and Illinois coach John Groce, the Zips have renewed themselves thanks to an improved defense.

The Zips enter leading the MAC in scoring defense at 62.0 points per game.

"It's our guys," Groce said in the Akron Beacon Journal.

"They've really bought into how we defend, the scheme that we play, how we do scouting. It takes great sacrifice to play really hard and play really together in that way for 40 minutes."

Offensively, Akron is a balanced squad that has four players averaging in double-figures -- junior Daniel Utomi (13.9 points per game), sophomore Loren Cristian Jackson (13.4), senior Jimond Ivey (13.3) and junior Tyler Cheese (10.3).

The game will be the first of two meetings in a span of two weeks between the Bulls and the Zips. The rematch will be held Feb. 26 at Buffalo.

--Field Level Media

• Thanks 1

The Zips need to shoot like they did in the second half against PCCC to have a chance in this one.  The bench other than Banks is going to have with some quality minutes too or Buffalo will just wear the Zips down.

Also, if you are at the game and come across a Bulls student, please be kind so we can avoid the whiny tripe we got a couple of years ago. 

2 hours ago, clarkwgriswold said:

The Zips need to shoot like they did in the second half against PCCC to have a chance in this one.  The bench other than Banks is going to have with some quality minutes too or Buffalo will just wear the Zips down.

Also, if you are at the game and come across a Bulls student, please be kind so we can avoid the whiny tripe we got a couple of years ago. 

Zips need to shoot like they did in the last 10 minutes of the 2nd half. Watched 2nd half again last night and it wasn't until about the 10-minute mark that things really got going. Will need more than a quarter of shooting and another full game of D to take down the Bulls tonight. Have an 'L' penciled in - come on Zips, MAKE me use that eraser!

Edited by GoZips88
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, kreed5120 said:

My keys to victory.

1) Limit fast break points

2) Limit Buffalo to 1 shot per possession

3) Don't miss every open 3 like we typically do

My keys to victory.

1) Score more fast break and non-fast break points than the Bulls.

2) Limit Buffalo to less shots per possession than we get.

3) Make two three pointers to everyone one they make.

Zips by 14