Game 24- Buffalo Bulls

clarkwgriswold

35 minutes ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

They were given around 20 more chances to make 82%.

Not saying that's the reason we lost, but man...

Steve French isn't happy with the refs either. The Utomi foul was just ridiculous. Buffalo was the better team tonight, but I agree with Zipsrule that we are not far off from Buffalo's level.

Edited by Illini Zip

Some important numbers-

Buffalo free throws- 26 

UA free throws- 7

I get that Buffalo is much more aggressive with the ball and will draw more fouls, but they weren't that much more aggressive.  Some real ticky tack stuff called on the Zips.  Montgomery Burns and the other two goofs had a rough night.

Attendance- 2600.  Ridiculous for a game against a top 25 opponent.  Thanks to the local press for promoting it.

4 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

Some important numbers-

Buffalo free throws- 26 

UA free throws- 7

I get that Buffalo is much more aggressive with the ball and will draw more fouls, but they weren't that much more aggressive.  Some real ticky tack stuff called on the Zips.  Montgomery Burns and the other two goofs had a rough night.

Attendance- 2600.  Ridiculous for a game against a top 25 opponent.  Thanks to the local press for promoting it.

Took the words out of my mouth about attendence. It should be noted about 10 of those FT are from us intentionally fouling to extend the game.

20 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

Announced attendence was ~2700. That's embarassing considering this was a top 25 opponent. I'm glad it was on ESPN+ and not on cable.

Instead of a Beacon article on a top 25 team coming to town we got a fluff piece about Cheese that told us what we already knew from the broadcasts weeks ago.  Grrrrr.

Edited by clarkwgriswold

When I got in my car, French and Dunn were announcing offensive player of the game.  They gave it to Jackson.  Yeah, he scored 20 points, but, as usual, he made some bone-headed selfish plays that stifled their momentum and led to some easy points for Buffalo.  He does this every game, and this time it really cost them.

I do like how Groce will come out after every game even if it's a loss and tell it like it is.   The former coach didn't do that.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

When I got in my car, French and Dunn were announcing offensive player of the game.  They gave it to Jackson.  Yeah, he scored 20 points, but, as usual, he made some bone-headed selfish plays that stifled their momentum and led to some easy points for Buffalo.  He does this every game, and this time it really cost them.

I do like how Groce will come out after every game even if it's a loss and tell it like it is.   The former coach didn't do that.

And this is why I have a level of confidence and understanding of Groce's system and coaching style. The man actually teaches the fan base along the way. After a few years of post-game interviews, you too can be as obnoxious as me.  :D

Edited by Illini Zip

51 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

Announced attendence was ~2700. That's embarassing considering this was a top 25 opponent. I'm glad it was on ESPN+ and not on cable.

Maybe they should have promoted there was free parking tonight.;) No one in the deck to collect money or parking pass stubs.

• Haha 1

I'm going to go on a limb and guess most of us were a little worried this one might be ugly heading into it. A few too many unforced turnovers and a few too many times we were too slow getting back on D were the difference. I would have liked a win, but tonight shows we have a chance to beat them at the Q where it matters. I think this team is getting better as the season goes on, which is a great sign. Let's get a bye and see what happens in Cleveland

Not that this is saying much but I actually thought this was Riak's best offensive game of MAC play. He went 4/5 from the field with 8 points. I'll take that from my center.

What I'm surprised to see noone mention is that I, from my seat in the bleachers, scored as many points as our entire bench tonight. I did that while taking 4 fewer shots. Banks looked like a really good 3 and D guy early on in the season. With Roscoe and Pokie not being big offensive factors, he needs to be a spark off the bench. With our thin bench we're going to be exposed in Cleveland where you have to win 3 games in 3 days. I think we're a year away.

Edited by kreed5120
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, kreed5120 said:

Not that this is saying much but I actually thought this was Riak's best offensive game of MAC play. He went 4/5 from the field with 8 points. I'll take that from my center.

What I'm surprised to see noone mention is that I, from my seat in the bleachers, scored as many points as our entire bench tonight. I did that while taking 4 fewer shots. Banks looked like a really good 3 and D guy early on in the season. With Roscoe and Pokie not being big offensive factors, he needs to be a spark off the bench. With our thin bench we're going to be exposed in Cleveland where you have to win 3 games in 3 days. I think we're a year away.

I agree. My biggest concern with this team is depth. When Akron was the class of the MAC the Zips were playing ten or eleven players on many nights. I know we are unfortunately without Sayles so that plays a factor but how many minutes would he be getting if he was available?. We also no longer have Kostelac but I am not sure how much time he would have seen either.

I like what Groce is doing and how he is getting the team to respond overall. My one criticism of him, though, has been the small rotation size. I know there are two ways to look at it. Do you play your very best players as many minutes as possible with fewer periods of rest to try to maximize productivity or do you play a larger rotation to keep everyone engaged and more energized? I guess I lean more toward the latter with the exception of giving my star player or the guy with the hot hand that night more minutes.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, GJGood said:

I agree. My biggest concern with this team is depth. When Akron was the class of the MAC the Zips were playing ten or eleven players on many nights. I know we are unfortunately without Sayles so that plays a factor but how many minutes would he be getting if he was available?. We also no longer have Kostelac but I am not sure how much time he would have seen either.

I like what Groce is doing and how he is getting the team to respond overall. My one criticism of him, though, has been the small rotation size. I know there are two ways to look at it. Do you play your very best players as many minutes as possible with fewer periods of rest to try to maximize productivity or do you play a larger rotation to keep everyone engaged and more energized? I guess I lean more toward the latter with the exception of giving my star player or the guy with the hot hand that night more minutes.

I'd like to see a bigger rotation too, but who would be in it?  Walter's not ready. Fischer doesn't even suit up some nights and Marquelle McIntyre hasn't had his warmup shirt off since high school.

8 hours ago, kreed5120 said:

I'd like to see that stat sheet as he missed two bunnies in the same possession in the second half as I recall.  I'd be content with 8 points, 5 or 6 boards and a block or two.

- We had opportunities in the first half to build a lead but couldn't capitalize. With another shooter, that's a couple possession lead going into the half instead of being down by 2. 

- Ivey is the most impressive player to me this year. 2 years ago, he was an out of control 6th man. Now he's a controlled leader. His growth has been fun to watch.

- Cheese & Banks need to quit shooting 3s, but their ability to drive and finish has been a blessing. Cheese needs a little more touch around the rim, but he has been fantastic. It's a shame we only had Duvivier for a year. Duvivier on this team would be amazing. 

- The tape of the game needs to be sent to the commissioner's office for review, and then to the NCAA to keep the commissioner honest. That was by far the worst officiated game I have ever seen in my life. The first half was brutal both ways, and they corrected it in favor of the MAC/Buffalo in the second half with blatant bias. 

- Utomi was mentally absent last night. Not moving on offense, pump-faking 62475 times, and not having awareness when dribbling. He is very, very frustrating at times. 

- As long as we stay committed to playing defense, this team can make a run at The Q. I really want that 4 seed, too. We can't possibly shoot the ball any worse than we have this season, so getting to a neutral court with odd depths and sight lines might even the playing field on offense. 

34 minutes ago, GJGood said:

I thought he was rotating the guys in and out last night quite often. There is only so much you can do to give guys rest with only 8 players, but I noticed a lot of subbing. The depth is an issue, but when you look at the scholarship chart, that should hopefully be solved very quickly.

27 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

I'd like to see that stat sheet as he missed two bunnies in the same possession in the second half as I recall.  I'd be content with 8 points, 5 or 6 boards and a block or two.

Yeah, I think those got left out of the ESPN box score for whatever reason. As did the 2 offensive boards that corresponded to those put back attempts. 4/7 from the field is still good.

I saw some really good things last night.   In the first half, Jackson used his quickness to create space and then took a 12 foot jump shot and scored.  I have not seen that all year.  I also saw some successful pick and rolls using Riak.  Of course, he dropped a pass that wen through his hands but at least they were trying to execute a basic play.  Ivey did a great job on Masinburgh.  

The bad is that we still have problems on our offense and we went through long periods when we could not put the ball in the basket.  Also, way to many turnovers for this team to win.  No bench points.  Whenever Rosco comes in the other team seems to get offensive rebounds.  He missed his only shot.  Groce stated that he did not like the teamism and that guys were getting on each other.  I did not see that.  Instead, guys could not make open shots in key situations.  Jackson made a 3 and then triggers an early 3.  He was also asleep on the last offensive rebound.  However, he led us back into the game.

The refs were no help tonight.  I play B Ball with a high school ref and he indicated that a good ref does not need to give out technical fouls unless a coach verbally attacks a ref.  He expects coaches to complain about calls and will not T them unless they call him names or use profanity.  I doubt very much if Groce said anything to deserve a T.  I think that was his first T of the season.  Did anyone hear what he said?   I saw the the illegal screen and it looked like the player ran into the Akron screen and fell down.  Not a foul.  WE cannot blame the refs for the loss but they certainly had their moments.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 1981 grad said:

The refs were no help tonight.  I play B Ball with a high school ref and he indicated that a good ref does not need to give out technical fouls unless a coach verbally attacks a ref.  He expects coaches to complain about calls and will not T them unless they call him names or use profanity.  I doubt very much if Groce said anything to deserve a T.  I think that was his first T of the season.  Did anyone hear what he said?   I saw the the illegal screen and it looked like the player ran into the Akron screen and fell down.  Not a foul.  WE cannot blame the refs for the loss but they certainly had their moments.  

• Haha 1