Game 24- Buffalo Bulls

clarkwgriswold

1 hour ago, 1981 grad said:

The refs were no help tonight.  I play B Ball with a high school ref and he indicated that a good ref does not need to give out technical fouls unless a coach verbally attacks a ref.  He expects coaches to complain about calls and will not T them unless they call him names or use profanity.  I doubt very much if Groce said anything to deserve a T.  I think that was his first T of the season.  Did anyone hear what he said?   I saw the the illegal screen and it looked like the player ran into the Akron screen and fell down.  Not a foul.  WE cannot blame the refs for the loss but they certainly had their moments.  

You're assuming Groce didn't want a T

12 hours ago, akronzips71 said:

MANY of the free throws were at the end on intentional fouls.

Not a real stat.

We played pretty well, considering a ranked team.

Cheese has turned into a star

We need a center. We need a center.

My kingdom for a center.

......and a power forward (or 2)

• Like 1

I can't say I'm much of a fan of the coach's "tell like it is" postgame interviews at times. I saw a team last night that battled the #25 team in the country down to the wire and constantly fought to stay in the game when it looked like it could slip away completely. There was nothing "putrid" about their performance. I admit there were times I wish his predecessor would have been a little more critical in postgame interviews, but most of that should be kept in house. Don't be satisfied with a close loss, but build on the positives and work hard in practice to address the negatives. This is about the time last year that the poor attitude comments started creeping in. Hopefully it won't lead to more exits, we've already lost 3 players this year. I'm encouraged by our performance this year, especially considering we have so few players who even played significant minutes here last year.

Edited by ewbrooman1

2 minutes ago, ewbrooman1 said:

I can't say I'm much of a fan of the coach's "tell like it is" postgame interviews at times. I saw a team last night that battled the #25 team in the country down to the wire and constantly fought to stay in the game when it looked like it could slip away completely. There was nothing "putrid" about their performance. I admit there were times I wish his predecessor would have been a little more critical in postgame interviews, but most of that should be kept in house. Don't be satisfied with a close loss, but build on the positives and work hard in practice to address the negatives. This is about the time last year that the poor attitude comments started creeping in. Hopefully it won't lead to more exits, we've already lost 3 players this year. I'm encourage by our performance this year, especially considering we have so few players who even played significant minutes here last year.

I didn't think it was a negative interview at all. I thought Groce nailed it. We didn't play well last night offensively, but our defense kept us in the game. He said the teamism was bad, which I couldn't tell but I'm sitting in the upper level, not down behind the bench. I don't think there's anything wrong with wanting guys to be better teammates and lead by example. The only other negative he mentioned was frustration with Utomi's mistakes I believe. He also made a quick comment about the 12 free throws Massinburg had, and said, "We'll leave it at that," when it comes to the refs. I wouldn't be surprised if he had a full interview worth of material, ripping the officiating. 

He talked about the positives of Cheese and I believe Jackson, too. Can't remember how the interview concluded, but he typically leaves it with getting back to work and getting ready for the next game. Nothing wrong with that. 

GT was on with Munch Bishop late this afternoon and spoke in part on the poor crowd for a top 25 team being in town.  On game day, GT contributed an article on Tyler Cheese.  The headline was "University of Akron men’s basketball: Familiarity starting to lead to success on court for Tyler Cheese".    The only reference to Buffalo in the entire article was in the third paragraph, stating "And the Zips — coming off a 72-53 victory Friday over rival Kent State — need that to continue if they are to avoid a letdown Tuesday night against 25th-ranked Buffalo (20-3, 8-2) at Rhodes Arena."  

George, if you want to see a better crowd, it just might help if you and your hometown paper get the word out.

I had to watch the replay of the ref's call on the illegal screen.  Not only was it a bad call, they replayed it on TV and the commentators even indicated it was a bad call noting that Eman was clearly set before the Buffalo player ran into him and fell down.  The bad call cost us a possession and then 2 points when Groce got a T for complaining about the bad call.  (I would still like to know what Groce said to get the T).  The ref who made the call was built like a weightlifter.  I don't recall him ever reffing one of our games before and I hope we never see him again.

32 minutes ago, 1981 grad said:

I had to watch the replay of the ref's call on the illegal screen.  Not only was it a bad call, they replayed it on TV and the commentators even indicated it was a bad call noting that Eman was clearly set before the Buffalo player ran into him and fell down.  The bad call cost us a possession and then 2 points when Groce got a T for complaining about the bad call.  (I would still like to know what Groce said to get the T).  The ref who made the call was built like a weightlifter.  I don't recall him ever reffing one of our games before and I hope we never see him again.

I didn't see the play live (one of the guys I was with was talking to me about something :/ ).  But I looked up when the whistle blew & another guy I was with (who played college ball), immediately said it was a terrible call.  The refs strongly influenced a change in the momentum of the contest (away from the Zips) at least two times during the course of the game.  The last five minutes were an abomination.

I spend waaaaaaaaaaay too much time yelling at the refs about moving picks/screens.  With today's reliance on the pick and roll and other screening offenses, it happens all of the time without it being called.  Funny how one finally got called and they got it so wrong.  I also suspect the ref may have been talked into it as it happened right in front of the Bulls bench.

4 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

I spend waaaaaaaaaaay too much time yelling at the refs about moving picks/screens.  With today's reliance on the pick and roll and other screening offenses, it happens all of the time without it being called.  Funny how one finally got called and they got it so wrong.  I also suspect the ref may have been talked into it as it happened right in front of the Bulls bench.

And they were crying about Graves/Cheese getting into it right before that. Def had an impact on the call and the call was definitely horrible.

57 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

Not getting called?  Klac had at least a dozen illegal screens called on him on his limited playing time with the Zips.  I see that called at least once a game and I know that there was more than one called in the Zips-Buffalo game.  In this case the Bulls player sold it by falling down when he hit the screen.  A more experience ref would not have been influenced by the players reaction to hitting the screen and should have been looking at whether Emans feet were set.  LCJ is also great at getting offensive fouls by reacting to contact.  His height and weight are an advantage when drawing the offensive charge.  

1 hour ago, 1981 grad said:

Not getting called?  Klac had at least a dozen illegal screens called on him on his limited playing time with the Zips.  I see that called at least once a game and I know that there was more than one called in the Zips-Buffalo game.  In this case the Bulls player sold it by falling down when he hit the screen.  A more experience ref would not have been influenced by the players reaction to hitting the screen and should have been looking at whether Emans feet were set.  LCJ is also great at getting offensive fouls by reacting to contact.  His height and weight are an advantage when drawing the offensive charge.  

I agree I overstated it, but it is my point that it happens all the time and is called infrequently in relation to the times it actually occurs.

• Confused 1