Swimming and Diving

72 Roo

I saw the ladies swimming and diving team is ranked 23rd in the country. That is an outstanding achievement to the coaches and athletes. What amazed me was when I scanned the list of the top 25 teams no one other than Akron was outside the P5 schools. For us to compete with those deep pocketed schools is quite a feather in the cap of our university and athletics dept. Well done everyone! Let's see the other sports joining the success of MSoc, M & W Track and now WSwim & Dive:bow:

• Like 3

On 2/13/2019 at 11:28 PM, 72 Roo said:

I saw the ladies swimming and diving team is ranked 23rd in the country. That is an outstanding achievement to the coaches and athletes. What amazed me was when I scanned the list of the top 25 teams no one other than Akron was outside the P5 schools. For us to compete with those deep pocketed schools is quite a feather in the cap of our university and athletics dept. Well done everyone! Let's see the other sports joining the success of MSoc, M & W Track and now WSwim & Dive:bow:

Come on 72, the team is going for their 6th straight MAC Championship.  Your NOW comment makes it look like they are just getting to the top of the league.  They have dominated the league for 6 years.  Glad you finally noticed. 

I didn't finally notice. I've always supported them. But last year and this year were the first two years that they cracked into the top 30. This year they cracked into the top 25. I was trying to point out that w/o the budget of Power 5 schools they are achieving something no other G5 school has done and that is being in the top 25 with a number 23 rank. That is new and I stand by saluting their achievement. Sorry that it bothers you so much that a Zip fan posts on their accomplishments for our school. Have a beer on me and chill.

19 hours ago, 72 Roo said:

I didn't finally notice. I've always supported them. But last year and this year were the first two years that they cracked into the top 30. This year they cracked into the top 25. I was trying to point out that w/o the budget of Power 5 schools they are achieving something no other G5 school has done and that is being in the top 25 with a number 23 rank. That is new and I stand by saluting their achievement. Sorry that it bothers you so much that a Zip fan posts on their accomplishments for our school. Have a beer on me and chill.

And 72 is correct...it’s one thing to win the MAC, another to be nationally ranked.  That’s what’s so impressive about our “minor” sports.  Track and field, men’s soccer (semi-minor) and now swimming and diving waaaay above the rest of the non P5 and some P5 schools!  Admire your post 72,sometimes I feel I’m all alone out here...

3 hours ago, ZipsVoice said:

And 72 is correct...it’s one thing to win the MAC, another to be nationally ranked.  That’s what’s so impressive about our “minor” sports.  Track and field, men’s soccer (semi-minor) and now swimming and diving waaaay above the rest of the non P5 and some P5 schools!  Admire your post 72,sometimes I feel I’m all alone out here...

ZipsVoice -  Appreciate your support and attendance at  the swim meets.  Look me up at the MACC's next month.  I also attend every meet so let's sit together.  Even with a few injuries/illnesses  this season, Brian has the team peaking at the best time.   Will be exciting to see Ocasek Natatorium packed for three straight days.  

72Roo - I don't know crap about P5 swimming and diving budgets so since your the expert I will assume that you have done an analysis.  Sad to hear we are at a severe disadvantage. To be honest with you I don't know the dollar amount of  UA swimming budget.  What is it?  Since the athletic department does not have control of the UA facility does that make our budget less than other universities  that allocate the facility expense to the team?  

2 hours ago, ZZZips said:

ZipsVoice -  Appreciate your support and attendance at  the swim meets.  Look me up at the MACC's next month.  I also attend every meet so let's sit together.  Even with a few injuries/illnesses  this season, Brian has the team peaking at the best time.   Will be exciting to see Ocasek Natatorium packed for three straight days.  

72Roo - I don't know crap about P5 swimming and diving budgets so since your the expert I will assume that you have done an analysis.  Sad to hear we are at a severe disadvantage. To be honest with you I don't know the dollar amount of  UA swimming budget.  What is it?  Since the athletic department does not have control of the UA facility does that make our budget less than other universities  that allocate the facility expense to the team?  

Thanks ZZZips...will Do!  And small correction, it’s actually 4 days, well, 3 and a half...B)

ZZZ and ZV, thanks for attending so many meets. Our swim ladies deserve a great following and I am sure you give them that. I cannot answer the questions ZZZ raises because I have little data on our budget. I do know that the difference in revenue, primarily from TV, between P5 and G5 schools is obscene. For example, a member of the Big 10 got 38M as its share of the Big 10 network in 2017-18. Akron by comparison got 2M from the MAC for TV. That allows for a healthy budget for all minor sports and lots of money leftover for facility upgrades. We are winning big w/o the resources of many of our competitors. Credit goes to the coaches and athletes and fans who refuse to give up. You two are part of that. Thanks. 

• Thanks 1

• 5 months later...

I'm sure you have seen the post on GoZips.com, but Paulina Nogaj is competing at the World Swimming Championships in Korea this weekend for Poland.  She is a great kid and obviously a great swimmer.  Drove up to Cleveland State yesterday and saw Brook Lamoureaux, Andrea Fischer, Jackie Pash, Ellie Nebraska, Morgan Waggoner, Ally Whaton and Sarah Watson compete at the USA Swimming Speedos, competing for Firestone Akron Swim Team (or FAST!)...lots of hard work put in this off-season, it seems like.  USA Swimming Futures meet is at SPIRE next weekend, don't know if we'll have any entries, but good to see the 6-time MAC Champs spending time in the pool.  Also, lots of swimmers we see in the MAC from BG, Eastern, Toledo, Ohio, and a few from Miami.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

2019-20 Women's Swimming and Diving team just got it's third-ever national ranking, Making their highest ever ranking at #19 in the Nation after the first month of competition!  Way to go Zips!!!Oh, forgot, just an Olympic Sport....doesn't mean anything.....really?  #19 Nationally.

13 hours ago, ZipsVoice said:

2019-20 Women's Swimming and Diving team just got it's third-ever national ranking, Making their highest ever ranking at #19 in the Nation after the first month of competition!  Way to go Zips!!!Oh, forgot, just an Olympic Sport....doesn't mean anything.....really?  #19 Nationally.

Excellent!!!  

• 2 weeks later...

Swimming and Diving get back in the pool this weekend as they get their first real test in a tri-meet with the Buckeyes of Ohio State and Kenyon Friday, and then a glimpse of one of their traditional MAC rivals on Saturday at Athens in a dual with Ohio.  The long course (full pool, 50 meters) meet against Toledo was a little anti-climactic, with no real benchmark to judge traditional performances against, plus the competitive squad was small.  But in that meet we saw glimpses of Sarah Watson's speed as well as Paulina Nogaj's strength.  Freshmen Andrea Galisteo, Gail Workman and Weronika Goreka stood out as newcomers.  The real improvement to me came from the divers, as Andrea Bugariou and Kate Applin dove well and took on more difficult dives in their rotations.  Just a few short weeks form the Zippy Invitational, a 3 -day meet that will be telling.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 2/26/2020 at 5:23 PM, Blue & Gold said:

OK, they won the MAC again. Now, it will be interesting to see if the boat load of provisional qualifying times they turned in increases the number of points they secure at nationals. My guess is the effect will be marginal and demonstrate the gap between the haves and have-nots. I appreciate the improvement the team has made and hope it continues, but believe they have a LONG way to go before they are nationally relevant.

• 4 weeks later...

Ya gotta be impressed with what coach Brian is doing with our ladies swimming and diving program. This signing is another step up the ladder of competitiveness, if that is a word. When it comes to olympic sports non Power 5 schools will be able to compete as long as the P5 schools don't see much prestige or revenue in these sports. The minute they find a way to make money they will create a spending war that we can't win. I hate P5 programs.

2 hours ago, 72 Roo said:

Ya gotta be impressed with what coach Brian is doing with our ladies swimming and diving program. This signing is another step up the ladder of competitiveness, if that is a word. When it comes to olympic sports non Power 5 schools will be able to compete as long as the P5 schools don't see much prestige or revenue in these sports. The minute they find a way to make money they will create a spending war that we can't win. I hate P5 programs.

The improvement in the ladies swim program is impressive, but

most P5 (and all non-P5) schools have been, and will continue to be, unable to compete with the powerhouses in women's college swimming which has been dominated for the last 20 years by a half dozen schools.  Stanford, Cal, Georgia, Auburn, Arizona and Florida are the haves; everyone else is the have-nots. There is a tremendous gap between the two groups. Akron's recent improvement has made them one of the better have-nots.

1 hour ago, Zipmeister said:

The improvement in the ladies swim program is impressive, but

most P5 (and all non-P5) schools have been, and will continue to be, unable to compete with the powerhouses in women's college swimming which has been dominated for the last 20 years by a half dozen schools.  Stanford, Cal, Georgia, Auburn, Arizona and Florida are the haves; everyone else is the have-nots. There is a tremendous gap between the two groups. Akron's recent improvement has made them one of the better have-nots.

tenor-255361828.gif

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I don't follow women's swimming and diving all that closely But I do know they've had an excellent team for quite a while. I just saw that Buffalo barely edge them out for the MAC title finishing higher in the final relay to win it. That broke a streak of seven straight years that the Zips have won the title. 

9 hours ago, MDZip said:

I don't follow women's swimming and diving all that closely But I do know they've had an excellent team for quite a while. I just saw that Buffalo barely edge them out for the MAC title finishing higher in the final relay to win it. That broke a streak of seven straight years that the Zips have won the title. 

Kudos on the streak and another strong result 🏊‍♀️