Game 26- Bowling Green Falcons

clarkwgriswold

19 minutes ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

I can't wait for Groce to get a roster full of his guys. Although I'm very impressed with how this team has bought into the game plan.

We just need one. more. shooter. 

I'm prepared to take the abuse for saying this but I think that Groce has done a tremendous job with this particular team. We don't have the offensive talent, we don't have depth and yet we are right there every night.  It's unrealistic to expect a whole lot more with this bunch.

Edited by The Hip Zip
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, The Hip Zip said:

I'm prepared to take the abuse for saying this but I think that Groce has done a tremendous job with this particular team. We don't have the offensive talent, we don't have depth and yet we are right there every night.  It's unrealistic to expect a whole more with this bunch.

100% agree. I'll nit pick Groce's decision tonight to not have a rim protector in there at the end, but the hustle and defensive intensity is there night in and night out. It's not his fault the guys don't make shots consistently. I still think we're going to be dangerous into March - where Groce tends to excel. 

1 minute ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

100% agree. I'll nit pick Groce's decision tonight to not have a rim protector in there at the end, but the hustle and defensive intensity is there night in and night out. It's not his fault the guys don't make shots consistently. I still think we're going to be dangerous into March - where Groce tends to excel. 

Into March?  Running out of time, no?  I'm with you.  Ivey and Utomi...SMH

1 minute ago, NWAkron said:

Into March?  Running out of time, no?  I'm with you.  Ivey and Utomi...SMH

Not at all. This team is playing some great basketball - minus the shot making part. The mental game is still there, which is key. Only a week and a half left of February, then it's a whole new ball game. 

18 minutes ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

I can't wait for Groce to get a roster full of his guys. Although I'm very impressed with how this team has bought into the game plan.

We just need one. more. shooter. 

When do you think that will happen? I bet he turns over half the team again.

3 minutes ago, zipfan84 said:

When do you think that will happen? I bet he turns over half the team again.

I don't think he'll turn over half the team again. Last year the guys that left were the ones who didn't buy into the system and caused locker room issues apparently. This group has bought in, just lacks the shot making ability to put it all together. 

Based on the scholarship chart, next year will be mostly his guys, albeit a few from the couple years of rushed/piecing together classes. After next year is when it really becomes his team. 

So let me get this straight. A team that hasn't been able to shoot the basketball for the past 3 months is going to miraculously start making shots in a week and a half for no other reason than it's March?

Then again we heard for years how the Q depth perception made our great 3 point shooters of years past not so great. Perhaps the same depth perception issue will alter our not so great shooters shots enough that instead of missing, like they normally would, they will turn into makes :rofl:

12 minutes ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

I don't think he'll turn over half the team again. Last year the guys that left were the ones who didn't buy into the system and caused locker room issues apparently. This group has bought in, just lacks the shot making ability to put it all together. 

Based on the scholarship chart, next year will be mostly his guys, albeit a few from the couple years of rushed/piecing together classes. After next year is when it really becomes his team. 

Getting this team back to the top is a Marathon and not a sprint.  Can look around the MAC and see how it's going with other teams.  It's a bit like the pro golfer who has a lot of top 5 finishes and always pukes during the final few holes but one day it finally clicks.

2 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

Getting this team back to the top is a Marathon and not a sprint.  Can look around the MAC and see how it's going with other teams.  It's a bit like the pro golfer who has a lot of top 5 finishes and always pukes during the final few holes but one day it finally clicks.

If we don't make it to the top next year, I'll seriously begin to question Groce. Pretty much everyone is graduating their best players so the MAC should be down. Meanwhile, we return everyon besides Ivey. We also will Xeyrius Williams eligible and heavens knows we need a big man who isn't a complete offensive liability. 

After next year we lose Cheese, Banks, Utomi, Williams, and E-Man. Personally, I think that will be a rebuilding year.

Damn, that's getting old.

The inability of this team to shoot is well documented, but we also lack the muscle to score inside on the road. We need a few guys on this team who can impose their will, contact or no contact. Hopefully, next years roster will provide some of that (I have a few players in mind). And maybe if we start getting some easy points around the rim it will take some of the pressure off our guards where they can at least make most of the wide open ones.

11 hours ago, The Hip Zip said:

I'm prepared to take the abuse for saying this but I think that Groce has done a tremendous job with this particular team. We don't have the offensive talent, we don't have depth and yet we are right there every night.  It's unrealistic to expect a whole lot more with this bunch.

I, for one, agree with you. Retain the core (minus Ivy of course), fill in some depth and this thing could get turned around in a big way, and rather quickly.

That said, the motto for the 2018-2019 Zip men's hoopsters could be "keeping it close, with Coach John Groce" :lol:

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, 1981 grad said:

He took 3 steps after he picked up the ball.  It was a travel but they never call it.  I remember we lost a game in Kent on the same type of play where the player traveled to get to the basket.  Refs are not going to call it unless it is obvious.  

Especially on the home floor on a game winning shot.

I will say I am pleased with the effort Groce gets out of the kids.  Good defense starts with hard work and effort.  On the other end, I am concerned that the offensive woes have as much to do with scheme as they do with shots not falling.

48 minutes ago, 1981 grad said:

He took 3 steps after he picked up the ball.  It was a travel but they never call it.  I remember we lost a game in Kent on the same type of play where the player traveled to get to the basket.  Refs are not going to call it unless it is obvious.  

It was obvious to my son.  He called it as it happened.  Once I saw the replay, I agreed - three steps.

11 hours ago, NWAkron said:

Exactly! Need to start recruiting 4 year HS players. This juco transfer strategy has to stop. Yes this will take time but I think it's the best course of action in the long run.

Edited by zipfan84
Spelling
  • Thanks 1