Game 27- Miami Redhawks

clarkwgriswold

Fresh off of three close losses, the ZIps host Miami this Saturday at the JAR.  The Deadhawks are 14-12 overall and 6-7 in the MAC.  They beat the Zips 68-61 in Oxford on January 19th.  6'4" sophomore guard Nike Sibande (brother of Adidas, Puma, Reebok and Keds Sibande) leads Miami scoring at 15.8 ppg while 6'7" sophomore forward Delonte Brown and 6'8" junior forward Bam Bowman lead rebounding at 5.4 rpg.  In their last six games they've alternated wins and losses and they just beat Ball State.  Let's hope this pattern continues Saturday. 

On an unrelated note, I am off to read the Bobcat Attack forum.  This should be fun.

I'm curious to see how the Zips come out Saturday.   This latest string of games could test their resolve.

I'm a little concerned about Utomi. This "slump" has extended to a point that I wonder if something else is up.  Injury maybe? He stuck it out at Akron when others bailed and he's worked hard, so I am rooting for him.

1 minute ago, clarkwgriswold said:

I'm curious to see how the Zips come out Saturday.   This latest string of games could test their resolve.

I'm a little concerned about Utomi. This "slump" has extended to a point that I wonder if something else is up.  Injury maybe? 

Injury? I don't see it. He's always been incredibly streaky from behind the arc. And he struggles to score in the paint (for a guy that's built like Jeremiah Wood).

If I were his shooting coach...and I'm not...for good reason...i would have him totally reconstruct his shot and flatten it out. It is tough to be consistent with such a high-arching, finessed jump shot. I can't think of any other basketball player with a shot trajectory like Daniel's.

33 minutes ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

Injury? I don't see it. He's always been incredibly streaky from behind the arc. And he struggles to score in the paint (for a guy that's built like Jeremiah Wood).

If I were his shooting coach...and I'm not...for good reason...i would have him totally reconstruct his shot and flatten it out. It is tough to be consistent with such a high-arching, finessed jump shot. I can't think of any other basketball player with a shot trajectory like Daniel's.

I suspect it is tough to tinker with something that's worked for long and got you 29 ppg in high school.

At this point I just feel it's a mental issue with Utomi and LCJ. Utomi shot over 40% from 3 each of the previous two seasons. LCJ made .348 of his 3s when he was at Long Beach State. Ivey is a career .312 3P% shooter so the case for him is I just think that's the one whole in his game and honestly he shouldn't be shooting them unless left wide open. Cheese with his .214 3P% shouldn't even be taking them when open.  I'd honestly rather see Riak shoot a 3 over Cheese.

6 hours ago, zippy5 said:

I think Utomi bulked up too much if I had to guess

That's my guess as well.  It looks like he put on extra muscle knowing he had to cover opposing PF's down low.  Daniel seems more earthbound than in the past.  Getting into the paint, pivoting, ball faking and then kicking it out when unable to get a shot up has become his go to post up move. 

I have a lot of respect for him staying with the program and sacrificing his game for the betterment of the team.  I don't think he ever expected to be a 6'6'' PF frequently covering the best big on the other team most nights.  

On 2/20/2019 at 1:12 PM, Captain Kangaroo said:

World B Free had a great career in the NBA with his rainbow shots.  No way would I have him change his shot.  He needs to work on his inside game.  He keeps hesitating when he gets in the lane.  Stop hesitating and pump faking and take the ball up strong.  He has many ways to score but has become too reliant on the 3 ball.  I could say that for almost everyone on this team.

1 hour ago, Blue & Gold said:

ABJ: Zips need more offense from frontcourt players

Good article.  Addresses what we've been lamenting on here for some time.

Agreed B & G.

Some highlight Groce quotes from the article:

*  “I can’t look [the media] in the eye and tell you we’re not doing some things really, really well,” UA coach John Groce said after Friday morning’s practice. “We are. So, we have to find a way to try to control the controllables a little bit better.”

*  "I’ve always told him and Manny that if we could get them to score 10 points or more collectively in that 40 minutes between the two of them and shoot 60 percent on dunks, layups and paint shots and then protect the rim and be our best defenders around the rim, then they’re doing their jobs,” Groce said.

*  “Obviously, we’d like it more if he could get a couple more baskets,” Groce said. “He’s never going to be a primary scorer, but he needs to catch and finish better. Him and Manny need to be able to catch and finish.”

ZipsNation couldn't have said it better.

Edited by clarkwgriswold
  • Like 1

Miami info from the Zips gameday article-

Scouting the RedHawks
Miami enters the contest with an 14-12 overall record and 6-7 in MAC play. The RedHawks won 6-of-9 games since they played the Zips with the three losses coming against Toledo (66-63), @Kent State (70-67) and @Western Michigan (84-79). Miami is 10-3 (4-3 MAC) at home, 3-7 (2-4 MAC) on the road and 1-2 in neutral site games.

Miami has seven players that average over 6.2 points per game and eight with 10 or more made 3-point field goals. The three players scoring in double figures are Nike Sibande, Dalonte Brown and Bam Bowman.

Sibande leads the way with 15.8 points per game. He is shooting 40.0 percent from the floor with 132 made field goals on 330 attempts. More than half of Sibande's attempts are from long distance (183) as he buried a team-high 62 made 3-pointers while shooting at a 33.9 percent clip. Sabande adds 30 assists and a second-best 14 steals and 12 blocked shots.

Dalonte Brown follows with 12.2 points per game and averages a team-best 5.4 rebounds per game (141 rebs). Brown has made 46 long-distance buckets while shooting 44.0 percent from the floor and 35.7 percent from deep. Bam Bowman rounds out the double-digit scorers with a 10.2 average and 26 made 3-pointers on 48.9 percent shooting from the floor and 38.8 percent from deep. He owns a team-best 5.4 rebounds per game (135 rebs).

Jalen Adaway and Darrian Ringo contribute 7.7 and 7.6 points,respectively. Adaway has 13 made triples with a team-best 54.1 shooting percentage from the field while Ringo leads Miami with 131 assists and 60 steals with 14 made shots from beyond the 3-point arc. 

Isaiah Coleman-Lands and Mekhi Lairy add 6.8 and 6.2 points per game. Coleman-Lands made 10 field goals all from long range while Mekhi buried 18 3-point field goals with 34 assists. Abdoulaye Harouna has made 20 long-distance shots, averaging 5.0 points per game.

Defensively, Miami limits its opponents to 69.1 points per game on 43.1 percent shooting from the floor and 32.3 percent from 3-point range, allowing 7.3 long distance strikes per night. The RedHawks caused 307 turnovers (11.8 to/g) with 143 steals (5.5 stl/g). Miami holds the edge on the glass, outrebounding the opponent by a +3.3 margin and limiting the opponent to grab 872 total boards compared to the 957 total rebounds secured.

• Like 1

I like the Zips chances of winning 3 of their last 4 starting today.  I wonder whether Roscoe can duplicate his shooting from Bowling Green.  Our 3 point shooting is so bad that he currently is our best 3 point shooter after having a good outing on Tuesday.  I am hoping that Jackson goes back to shooting short jump shots until he can find the range and that Utomi works inside.  I think we are at our best when we shoot in the low twenties on the 3 ball unless we finally get hot from the 3 line.