Game 28- Buffalo Bulls

clarkwgriswold

The Zips head int Canada Tuesday night to face the surging Bulls.  The Bulls are fresh off of a 23 point win over PCCC and a 47 point win over the Bobkittens.  They stand at 24-2 overall and 12-2 in the MAC.  They have not lost at home.  CJ Massinbrg continues to lead the Bulls in scoring at 18.5 ppg.   Nick Perkins leads rebounding at 7.5 rpg.

I think the Zips's chances in this one come down to limiting Canada's 3 point success.  They are a solid team all around, but if they are hitting the three they can hit a whole other level.  Their athleticism, motion and slashing are top notch, but when the defense has to extend to deal with hot 3 shooters, the stuff they're best at just gets better.  When they were here, the Zips limited them to 29% from three point territory and that helped keep them in the game.  Without a replay of defense like that, it could be a long night for the Zips.   

• Sad 1

34 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

Akron is currently a 6th seed so the earliest we'd play Buffalo would be the finals if the tourney started today. All the teams are still bunched so a lot can still change between now and the end of the season.

If the team plays as well as they did on Saturday (big if) I still think they could get a 4 seed by winning 3 of the last 4.  They would then have the tie breaker against Kent State.  If they were to get to 10 wins they would have a chance.  It would be nice to play Kent for the 4th seed on the last game of the season on national T.V.  

Edited by 1981 grad
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, 1981 grad said:

If the team plays as well as they did on Saturday (big if) I still think they could get a 4 seed by winning 3 of the last 4.  They would then have the tie breaker against Kent State.  If they were to get to 10 wins they would have a chance.  It would be nice to play Kent for the 4th seed on the last game of the season on national T.V.  

It's certainly possible to get the 4th, but the team I feel we'd need to worry about is CMU. They have a much easier remaining schedule compared to ours and I'm not exactly sure how the tie-breaker with them would work since we split the season series. I can see them going 3-1 in their next 4.

1 hour ago, 1981 grad said:

Ugh.  Well if CMU locks up the 4th seed and Kent and Akron are battling for the 5th or 6th seed...well...might be a good opportunity to give Utomi and others a little breather.

I think the Zips can play with anyone in the league based on their defense.  Can they put together a good shooting night on the road?  Can they pull out a victory in a close game on the road?  I looked at the Miami game and the Zips shot over 40% from both the field and from beyond the arc.  The Zips won even though Ivey had a difficult shooting night and had 6 turnovers.  There is a margin for error if the Zips shoot the ball well.  I think the key is going to the hot hand.  If Tyler Cheese can duplicate his effort against Miami then the "teamism" needs to get him the ball.  If Utomi can start draining the 3 ball that means get him the ball.  This team must find a way to score and if that means getting the ball to the guy that is "feeling it" then pass up your long ball shot and feed it to the player that can score.  I would love to see Jackson have a great road game and start on a diet of short jumpers.  I noticed on Saturday that this team passed on a lot of 3 balls early in the game to get a higher percentage shot.  We need to find easier shots on the road and avoid the temptation to shoot the 3.  We play our best when we limit our 3 ball to the low twenties.  Looking forward to a close game tonight and a possible upset.  Go Zips!

• Like 3

As opposed to the last two road losses, Zips have no pressure in this game and have nothing to fear.  So there is no reason to panic and chuck early 3.

I accept that Buffalo is a better team, but I also expect the Zips to make a better showing than PCCC or the Kittens.  Also expect Groce to be tossed.