Game 28- Buffalo Bulls

clarkwgriswold

2 minutes ago, zipsrule said:

It was 6-1 fouls (with 6 against Akron) and Buffalo finally got called for their second foul.  Oats was going off in disbelief that his team could get called for a foul.

If anyone is as blind as the refs, and all they could hear is the crowd and the Bulls' bench, you would think they couldn't buy a call if they had Bezos' money. 

12 minutes ago, Spin said:

ESPN+ is infatuated with Buttfalo. 

But then again this is the same network that shows Steven Ahole Smith down our throats several times a day.

The home team supplies the broadcasters. Those were Buffalo employees, not ESPN employees. Akron home announcers are just as bad.

• Like 2

Akron isn't good enough offensively and Buffalo is too good defensively for us to waste 15-20 seconds of the shot clock before setting into our offense. It's why we had 3-4 shot clock violations and some other desperation heaves at the basket as the shot clock was about to go off. I understand not wanting to get into a track meet with them, but we need to find a better balance. We had way too many empty possessions.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, dre22era said:

And we gotta stop blaming the refs for every single Loss

Jackson was 2-12

As a team we shot 8-25 3PT 

Thats what lost us the game. 

Better team won playing lock down defense in the clutch 

Hate to agree with you Dre but LCJ is certainly on my list of guys who can receive a lifetime supply of Turtle Wax at end of this season.  Even his last shot was just sad 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, dre22era said:

And we gotta stop blaming the refs for every single Loss

Jackson was 2-12

As a team we shot 8-25 3PT 

Thats what lost us the game. 

Better team won playing lock down defense in the clutch 

I stated before the game began that we needed Jackson to have a good game.  He made one 3 pointer late in the second half and a short jumper.  If I can remember his 2 made baskets that is not good.  He had 2 assists to 5 turnovers.  Against good teams on the road he struggles.   

We shot 14% from the 3 line in the second half.  This is the 3rd game in a row that Ivey has stuggled offensively.  Poke  has yet to make a foul shot in MAC play.  We have seen this show before.  When will we have a good second half on the road in MAC play.  I think it will come against Kent.  

• Like 1

I haven't been on here much but I must say John Groce has exceeded my expectations this season coaching this team up. 

With that said, there also have been too many games we should have won where I put the blame on Groce and tonight is another example. 

I question his lack of game management in regards to how he uses his timeouts. 

Tonight for example when we started making clumsy turnovers in the clutch you gotta have timeouts in your pocket to stop a run we all saw coming. 

We literally could not bring the ball up the court. 

3 Pros :

Thought Deng and Poke were both very good. Good to see Deng finish a few tonight.

Tyler Cheese.. Seems to get better almost every time out.

Effort and energy.

3 Cons:

We have to get something out of Ivey. He hustles his guts out but right now nothing is going right for him. I feel bad for the guy and we're going to need him in Cleveland.

Oats made a defensive adjustment in the 2nd half and nothing came easy after that. Need to get that figured out in real time.

Too many shot clock violations. PG has to be aware and call it out.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

Grrrr.  He's reaching the level of disdain I previously only held for Kwan Cheatham.

I actually think a Kwan Cheatham type player is what this team is missing. We desperately need a big that can space the floor to open up the lanes for Cheese, Ivey, and Banks. He'd also help fix our rebounding woes.

Edit: I'm hoping we get that out of Williams next year. It's a big reason for my optimism next season.

Edited by kreed5120
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, zippy5 said:

We're so close. Just not enough depth to hang for 40 minutes at UB. Regardless of all the turnover, take 2 scholarship players off any team in January in the MAC and they'll have issues. I think we're getting better as the season goes on, and the team keeps fighting

This is about as spot on as one can get. Well said. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, kreed5120 said:

The home team supplies the broadcasters. Those were Buffalo employees, not ESPN employees. Akron home announcers are just as bad.

Very true that there will likely be some bias due to the announcers being supplied by the home team, we have to expect that. Those announcers last night, though, never even figured out why the technical fouls were called. Groce had one for the Zips. Buffalo's in the second half was for having six men on the floor. How can a competent announce team miss that or at least not ask for an explanation from the officials? Like Reghi or not,  I am pretty certain he would have at least gotten an explanation for the viewers as to what was going on.

• Like 1

We have to hope that these late game failures eventually provide a base of experience that helps the team in the long run.  If it doesn't in the fairly near future (tournament time/early next season), I'll start to think it is a team character, talent or coaching issue.

One thing this team sorely lacks is a go to scorer.  A guy that in a pinch can take the ball and go get a bucket.  That goes a long way when your opponent is starting a run and you've had a couple of tough possessions.  Cheese is getting there, but isn't there yet.

14 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

We have to hope that these late game failures eventually provide a base of experience that helps the team in the long run.  If it doesn't in the fairly near future (tournament time/early next season), I'll start to think it is a team character, talent or coaching issue.

One thing this team sorely lacks is a go to scorer.  A guy that in a pinch can take the ball and go get a bucket.  That goes a long way when your opponent is starting a run and you've had a couple of tough possessions.  Cheese is getting there, but isn't there yet.

LCJ thinks he's that guy.

• Haha 1