Game 29- Ohio University

clarkwgriswold

This was the worst performance I've seen since the VCU debacle in the Dance.

I was not a fan of the hire when we brought in Groce. I fell for some of the hype, but he's proving otherwise.

John Groce is not a good basketball coach. The records prove it. He was supposed to be a good recruiter. Two of his prime recruits never played a game for UA.

I'm still rooting for him to change my mind because I love this school and it's teams, but next year better be big strides forward.

• Like 1

Just listened to the post-game.  Groce told us the obvious-  Ohio U was better physically and mentally and played with more heart.  He left out that they were better coached.

That was a heartless effort.  Nobody seemed to much give a $h!+.  Ivey and LCJ got introduced to the bench early and deservedly.  Shame the didn't have enough players available to sit Utomi, Riak, Cheese, Banks and Roscoe with them.  Too bad they won't dress Lucas Smith.  He'll at least put up a fight.  The next time I see the bench crew having a party during a loss, I will start screaming at them from the rail.

I realize this loss was an ugly one and the exception to the rule, but today I am left to wonder where the progress is in this program.  This sure as hell better be a wake up call.  If we see the smallest modicum of this Tuesday night, we can pack it in.

Edited by clarkwgriswold
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

The Zips thought they could show up and win this one without any effort.  They were wrong.  A 30 point blowout at home.  Didn't someone on this board indicate that GRoce's teams play their best at the end of the season?   I did not like Groce's decision to double team the ball when Jackson's man backed him down in the paint.  They passed out of the double team and it led to numerous open looks and points for Ohio.  Their length bothered us.  WE would drive the lane and stop and then look to pass.  Many of the passes were to E man or Riak who dropped the ball or could not finish at the hoop.  So tired of watching Riak go away from the hoop instead of finishing strong.  After the game was decided Groce had them feed Riak who finished as the leading scorer.  This loss was a team effort.  Makes you wonder about how Groce did not have this team prepared to play.  Walters hustle but does not have division one skills.  I would have let Jackson in the game to learn from his mistakes.  He needs to learn to make a short jumper instead of 3 ball after 3 ball.  Not sure what to expect Tuesday but cannot be worse than today.

2 minutes ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

The sky is falling. THE SKY IS FALLING! :rofl:

R-E-L-A-X

They fell to one game over .500 in a down season in the MAC with a huge group of pansies on the OOC schedule by losing to what may be the worst OU team I have seen in years.  Having a tough time putting a positive spin on that one.

I realize it is only one game and we've seen some good effort this year, but to lay that egg against a bottom dwelling team in such an important game is disheartening.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, clarkwgriswold said:

They fell to one game over .500 in a down season in the MAC with a huge group of pansies on the OOC schedule by losing to what may be the worst OU team I have seen in years.  Having a tough time putting a positive spin on that one.

I realize it is only one game and we've seen some good effort this year, but to lay that egg against a bottom dwelling team in such an important game is disheartening.

There is no positive spin to put on this one. But for people to rip Groce for recruiting and declare that hire a bust is ridiculous. 

The most disheartening part of today is watching our two supposed leaders, Utomi & Ivey, fail to lead. The mindset wasn't there today. Let's see how we respond on Tuesday. 

19 minutes ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

There is no positive spin to put on this one. But for people to rip Groce for recruiting and declare that hire a bust is ridiculous. 

The most disheartening part of today is watching our two supposed leaders, Utomi & Ivey, fail to lead. The mindset wasn't there today. Let's see how we respond on Tuesday. 

Very good points Let'sGo.  Frustrating damn day across the board.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zippyfan34 said:

That’s the last time I let Mrs. Zippyfan34 sing the national anthem if they play like that!

No way! She did great.

The team not so much however. It's just one game, off nights happen. But what a bad time for a dud like that

• Like 2

This is REALLY my last comment of the season.   Zips lost any chance at decent seeding this year.  At best will be an 8 or 9 and IF they win that will hit Buffalo at the Q in the quarters.  So this is all but over.   As for leadership, early in the game, there was a busted play or turnover involving Ivey and LCJ right before a TV timeout.  Ivey proceeded to sulk off the court, pouting and refusing to make eye contact with LCJ who was vociferously saying "my bad."  Ivey has been awful the last group of games and seems intent in his passive/aggressive way to take the group down with him.  Ivey was also the one who hated Cotton.

And the cheerleaders and dance team are God awful this year.

23 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

This is REALLY my last comment of the season.   Zips lost any chance at decent seeding this year.  At best will be an 8 or 9 and IF they win that will hit Buffalo at the Q in the quarters.  So this is all but over.   As for leadership, early in the game, there was a busted play or turnover involving Ivey and LCJ right before a TV timeout.  Ivey proceeded to sulk off the court, pouting and refusing to make eye contact with LCJ who was vociferously saying "my bad."  Ivey has been awful the last group of games and seems intent in his passive/aggressive way to take the group down with him.  Ivey was also the one who hated Cotton.

And the cheerleaders and dance team are God awful this year.

let's not blame the veterans on this team especially Ivey, because he does everybody job when his shots are not falling he is doing everything else rebounds, steals, assist, and shuts down the other teams best players.  To get straight to the point LCJ and Cotton are small guys with egos bigger than their talent (HATE IS A STRONG WORD).  Seems to me Ivey is coaching on the floor and also playing, so at the end of the day I am not saying he couldn't have played better but I believe he wants to win its his senior year.  What we need to do is recruit more athletic and high basketball IQ players like Ivey in the future.

What we need to do is recruit another Zeke, Big Dog and Tree.

If this coach can't coach inside - out hoops he has to go.

Think about K-Lac. He kept fouling out on moving screens.

Meanwhile the 6'11" guy with good shot making skills never got his hands on the ball. Ruined by Groce, expect to see him doing very well someplace next year.

KD would have had him scoring 10-12 a game steady his second year.

And they recruited Ali Ali. Look at his films. Never attacks the boards, just stands around when a shot is taken.

Great, another dud year to come.

I too am questioning Groce right now.  It's an easy thing to do when the Zips have lost 5 of 6.  That being said, let's not act like we lost some great talent in K-lac.  Great kid yes, prime D1 basketball talent, nope.   K-lac was a 7 footer who never made the All North Coast League team.  That's the North Coast League, a league of a bunch of very average basketball programs (with the exception of VASJ and CCC).  He ended up at IMG because he didn't have the game for college basketball when he graduated and ended up at UA because he was a 7 footer and UA was desperate for recruits.  He played hard and showed some flashes, but his hands were awful and he was a defensive liability at times.  If he's smart, he'll head to a place like John Carroll or Ashland where he can contribute.  Otherwise, he's destined for the end of the bench in any reasonable D1 program.

I agree the Zips need to recruit another Zeke, Bog Dog and Tree.  Every team could afford to again recruit their best 3 players in the last 10 to 15 years.

• Like 3