Game 30- Bowling Green

Nice missed dunk by Lillard.  Ohio high school basketball fans will remember him as the guy who got called for a technical in the state championship game for hanging on the rim that gave the opponent the ball and free throws to tie the game and take it to over time where they won 

• Like 1

I was shocked by this game.  Jackson was firing on all cylinders.  For whatever reason Bowling Green did not clog the lane and Jackson drove to the basket and was hitting his floater.  He is quick enough to beat his man but usually he runs into a traffic jam in the middle.  Tonight the lane was open.  WE finally were hitting our 3 points shots.  Great finish for Jimond.  What better way to end the game than with a dunk and a 3 pointer.  Was by far the most entertaining game all year.  You knew it was going to be our night when Jimond banked a 3 and Daniel had a 3 ball go in that hit the rim 5 times.  E man was a beast blocking shots.  He was an intimidating factor all night.  Great game and a real team effort.

• Like 2

Wow, where's that offense been all year?  Let's hope Groce was right that the shots would eventually start falling.

Great finish for Jimond.  I went up to his dad at half, congratulated him on his son's accomplishments and told him how much we've appreciated Jimond in his time at UA.  I'll sure miss that kid next year.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

I really don't feel like trying to sort through the scenarios that would enable the Zips to get a 1st round home game with a loss to Ken+ so lets just win to secure the 7 seed :screwks:

A loss on Friday would put us at 8-10.  Northern and Miami are 7-10.   A loss by either one should makes us no worse than the 8th seed.

Who in the heck were those guys?  And where the heck have they been?  And will we ever see them again?  I sure hope so, because I had more fun tonight than since we slapped the Flushes a few weeks back.   In fact, a little too much fun, I think I'll pay for it tomorrow morning...but it's like Coach was prophetic on the 3 ball shooting.  I too will miss Jimond, and I have enjoyed having him here, class act IMO.

41 minutes ago, ZipsVoice said:

Who in the heck were those guys?  And where the heck have they been?  And will we ever see them again?  I sure hope so, because I had more fun tonight than since we slapped the Flushes a few weeks back.   In fact, a little too much fun, I think I'll pay for it tomorrow morning...but it's like Coach was prophetic on the 3 ball shooting.  I too will miss Jimond, and I have enjoyed having him here, class act IMO.

Cheese is the new Ivey. Groce better not let him leave.

I watched the replay on ESPN+ after getting home last night.  Like 1981Grad stated, what a great way for Jimmond to end Senior Night, with a breakaway dunk & a 3-pointer.  It sounded like the JAR responded appropriately.  I was shouting in my living room at midnight!  I'm going to miss Jimmond.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, The Hip Zip said:

It's a beautiful thing when the shots start dropping. I'm of the opinion that we play better when the restraints are removed and the kids are allowed to be the athletes that they are.  The guys want it, the fans enjoy it and  WE seem to play pretty well when we run a little. 

We are not great in a half court offense. Seems like we're much better on the run, but I feel like we slow it down just because we want to play a slower game.. let them run and you can still D it up. I do worry a higher paced game would get to us trying to go 3 straight days in Cleveland with a thin bench.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, 1981 grad said:

I wished I shared your optimism. We always indicated that players always seemed to get better under KD.  Look at the stats of the 2 guys that have stayed with the team, Utomi and Ivey for the past 3 years.  In 2016-2017 these guys were role players and Big Dog fed them the ball of the double team and they prospered.  I think their game has suffered with the new coach and new players each year. I think Daniel is really having an off year.  He is very hesitant when he is backs down into the lane and his 3 points shooting has been off.  Ivey is struggling with his 3 point shooting.  Ivey is a great player and I hope he has a great senior night.   

2016-2017    FG%       3pt FG%                       

Utomi           446         419

Ivey               520         337

2017-2018

Utomi          450        402

Ivey              400        339

Current

Utomi         388         369

Ivey             464         258

To be fair I remember there being talk about Utomi being a scorer but also a defensive liability. I don't think he is a defensive liability any more. That may take a little away from offensive production. Both Utomi and Ivey are hard workers, stuck around when others bailed, and are key cogs on this years team. Whether they are the best fit for this current system under Groce or not I have nothing but respect for both of them.

• Like 4

56 minutes ago, GJGood said:

Both Utomi and Ivey are hard workers, stuck around when others bailed, and are key cogs on this years team. Whether they are the best fit for this current system under Groce or not I have nothing but respect for both of them.

This is where I am with the two of them.  Of course I want them to succeed, for both themselves and the team.  But for being loyal to UA they can do no wrong in my eyes.  

• Like 1