Game 30- Bowling Green

12 hours ago, clarkwgriswold said:

Nice missed dunk by Lillard.  Ohio high school basketball fans will remember him as the guy who got called for a technical in the state championship game for hanging on the rim that gave the opponent the ball and free throws to tie the game and take it to over time where they won 

That sequence was worth the price of admission alone. There was nobody within 15 yards of him when he was rudely rejected and knocked on his butt by the rim. I was fearful that Spencer would call the rim for a flagrant 2 but alas he swallowed his whistle. I  replayed it over and over and it got funnier each time. Granted, I am easily amused but that missed slam was of the epic variety.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, The Hip Zip said:

That sequence was worth the price of admission alone. There was nobody within 15 yards of him when he was rudely rejected and knocked on his butt by the rim. I was fearful that Spencer would call the rim for a flagrant 2 but alas he swallowed his whistle. I  replayed it over and over and it got funnier each time. Granted, I am easily amused but that missed slam was of the epic variety.

I felt bad for the player after they showed it on the big screen at least twice.  WE may want to keep that video if we have to face them again at home.  Earlier this year Cheese missed a layup when the nearest defender was at half court.  But this was worse.

4 minutes ago, The Hip Zip said:

Speaking of replays, props to Chad Welker for replaying it twice on the jumbotron during the timeout. The crowd LOVED it. 

Many moments foreshadowed last night being our night; none were more hilarious than that missed dunk. Does SportsCenter still do Not Top Ten? If so, this needs to be #1 (maybe #2 if they choose to feature LeBum's inbounds pass off the backboard for the turnover). 

15 minutes ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

Speaking of replays, props to Chad Welker for replaying it twice on the jumbotron during the timeout. The crowd LOVED it. 

Many moments foreshadowed last night being our night; none were more hilarious than that missed dunk. Does SportsCenter still do Not Top Ten? If so, this needs to be #1 (maybe #2 if they choose to feature LeBum's inbounds pass off the backboard for the turnover). 

And it really was a momentum changer.

I referenced it above, but the whole story on Lillard was that in the 2015 DII championship game Lillard and Cleveland Central Catholic were ahead 37-35 in the fourth quarter with 45 seconds left he drove to the basket and threw down a beautiful monster dunk to give CCC a four-point lead that Defiance would have had a very tough time overcoming.  Unfortunately, he realy hung on the rim with his feet coming up nearly level to the bottom of the backboard, and the referee T'd him up for hanging on the rim.  Defiance went to the other end hit the two free throws then scored to tie the game, eventually winning in overtime. Instead of a two-possession lead, the technical let Defiance back into the game.

Here's a link with the video.  The lesson for Lilland is that "dunks are bad."

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2015/03/ohio-state-championship-controversial-call-cleveland-central-catholic-antwon-lillard

36 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

And it really was a momentum changer.

I referenced it above, but the whole story on Lillard was that in the 2015 DII championship game Lillard and Cleveland Central Catholic were ahead 37-35 in the fourth quarter with 45 seconds left he drove to the basket and threw down a beautiful monster dunk to give CCC a four-point lead that Defiance would have had a very tough time overcoming.  Unfortunately, he realy hung on the rim with his feet coming up nearly level to the bottom of the backboard, and the referee T'd him up for hanging on the rim.  Defiance went to the other end hit the two free throws then scored to tie the game, eventually winning in overtime. Instead of a two-possession lead, the technical let Defiance back into the game.

Here's a link with the video.  The lesson for Lilland is that "dunks are bad."

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2015/03/ohio-state-championship-controversial-call-cleveland-central-catholic-antwon-lillard

Hard to tell exactly what the dunk was like with it sped up, but my initial thoughts are that's a horrific T. It reminds me of the T Zeke got against NDSU at home when he dribbled the length of the floor and gained too much speed, needing to hang on the rim for a second to prevent a backflip. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

Hard to tell exactly what the dunk was like with it sped up, but my initial thoughts are that's a horrific T. It reminds me of the T Zeke got against NDSU at home when he dribbled the length of the floor and gained too much speed, needing to hang on the rim for a second to prevent a backflip. 

Ref wasted no time calling the T

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Sergeant Zip said:

Ref wasted no time calling the T

I remember that play but I thought it was in a tournament game and did not realize it was at home against N. Dakota State.  We played our worst game against N. Dakota State the previous year when we loss and they only dressed 7 -8 players and beat us with mostly non scholarship players.

12 minutes ago, 1981 grad said:

I remember that play but I thought it was in a tournament game and did not realize it was at home against N. Dakota State.  We played our worst game against N. Dakota State the previous year when we loss and they only dressed 7 -8 players and beat us with mostly non scholarship players.

Really? I don't remember playing them other than that year

1 hour ago, zippy5 said:

I'm still upset about that

It is arguably the most frustrating call I have ever seen at the JAR (although the goal-tending debacle last night was BAD...). 

49 minutes ago, The Hip Zip said:

As I recall, it was maybe the return game from the, gone but not forgotten, bracket busters series.

There really needs to be a concerted effort on the part of non-P5 schools (and Gonzaga) to get something similar going again. Man those were fun. NDSU was a SOLID mid-major for at least the two years we played them, and the crowd for our home game against them drew quite well (I'm sure Akron possessing the nation's longest winning streak at the time had nothing to do with it :rolleyes:). 

The majority of the big name schools found their way into one of the P5 + Big East & AAC conferences. There are very few compelling match-ups between mid-majors that would produce the TV ratings to justify it being worth ESPN or whatever networks time. Even some of the big name schools, like Gonzaga, who are still in a mid-major conference won't have interest in the bracket buster. They will just pay an Akron or Valpo to come to their place during the normal OOC season. Not to mention the broadcaster putting the tournament on would need to have media rights to both conferences. 

I liked the bracket buster tournament, but it returning just isn't going to be a reality. The best the MAC can hope for is some sort of MAC/(insert random conference here) challenge. Even then it seems the conferences worthwhile of having one against are already singed up to compete against another conference.

ACC-B1G

SEC-B12

B10-Big East

A10/MWC - Future

MVC/MWC - I think this one is ending

C-USA or MVC would probably be the 2 best conferences to reach an agreement with. Both are a ghost of their former self and both MAC teams already schedule so I'm not sure if it's moving the needle any.

28 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

There are very few compelling match-ups between mid-majors that would produce the TV ratings to justify it being worth ESPN or whatever networks time.

Not to mention the broadcaster putting the tournament on would need to have media rights to both conferences. 

I liked the bracket buster tournament, but it returning just isn't going to be a reality.

I'm not talking a tournament like the ACC/Big Ten "Challenge" where they keep total-conference-scores to see which conference is better. Screw the MAC. 

The Bracket Buster was a "challenge" of top-ranked mid-major teams. Here is a list of the Top 25 Mid Majors (WARNING: Liberty is on this list). 

1.Gonzaga 

2.Wofford

3.Buffalo

4.Belmont

5.Murray State

6.UC Irvine

7.New Mexico State

8.UNC Greensboro

9.South Dakota State

10.Hofstra

11.Lipscomb

12.Furman

13.Liberty

14.Vermont

15.ETSU

16.Sam Houston State

17.Montana

18.Toledo

19.Northeastern

20.Yale

21.Saint Mary's

22.Georgia Southern

23.Texas State

24.Jacksonville State

25.Drake

OTHERS RECEIVING VOTES: Stony Brook 48, Georgia State 44, Northern Kentucky 32, San Francisco 30, Bowling Green 28, Loyola Chicago 28, BYU 25, Harvard 24, Charleston 18, Grand Canyon 18, Wright State 14, Kent State 13, Utah Valley State 13, Radford 12, Iona 6, Norfolk State 6, Campbell 4, Northern Colorado 3, Abilene Christian 2, Central Michigan 2, Austin Peay 1, Colgate 1, Loyola Marymount 1.

Every single major network has multiple outlets; ESPN has Plus, U, The Ocho, etc., while CBS has CBS, CBSSports, and even Fox has multiple outlets. You don't think one of them would love to televise a Buffalo/Murray State game, with the projected 2nd or 3rd pick in the NBA Draft playing for Murray State right now? 

I know Akron isn't anywhere on this list, but say they were towards the bottom. One of the networks would pick up an Akron/Stony Brook game with the Boles connection. Loyola Chicago is on this list in the "Others Receiving Votes" section; I guarantee a media outlet wouldn't mind airing them with their run last year. 

I didn't mean for this thread to go this route, but something needs to be done among Mid Majors. Those Bracket Buster games were a blast. 

44 minutes ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

I'm not talking a tournament like the ACC/Big Ten "Challenge" where they keep total-conference-scores to see which conference is better. Screw the MAC. 

The Bracket Buster was a "challenge" of top-ranked mid-major teams. Here is a list of the Top 25 Mid Majors (WARNING: Liberty is on this list). 

1.Gonzaga 

2.Wofford

3.Buffalo

4.Belmont

5.Murray State

6.UC Irvine

7.New Mexico State

8.UNC Greensboro

9.South Dakota State

10.Hofstra

11.Lipscomb

12.Furman

13.Liberty

14.Vermont

15.ETSU

16.Sam Houston State

17.Montana

18.Toledo

19.Northeastern

20.Yale

21.Saint Mary's

22.Georgia Southern

23.Texas State

24.Jacksonville State

25.Drake

OTHERS RECEIVING VOTES: Stony Brook 48, Georgia State 44, Northern Kentucky 32, San Francisco 30, Bowling Green 28, Loyola Chicago 28, BYU 25, Harvard 24, Charleston 18, Grand Canyon 18, Wright State 14, Kent State 13, Utah Valley State 13, Radford 12, Iona 6, Norfolk State 6, Campbell 4, Northern Colorado 3, Abilene Christian 2, Central Michigan 2, Austin Peay 1, Colgate 1, Loyola Marymount 1.

Every single major network has multiple outlets; ESPN has Plus, U, The Ocho, etc., while CBS has CBS, CBSSports, and even Fox has multiple outlets. You don't think one of them would love to televise a Buffalo/Murray State game, with the projected 2nd or 3rd pick in the NBA Draft playing for Murray State right now? 

I know Akron isn't anywhere on this list, but say they were towards the bottom. One of the networks would pick up an Akron/Stony Brook game with the Boles connection. Loyola Chicago is on this list in the "Others Receiving Votes" section; I guarantee a media outlet wouldn't mind airing them with their run last year. 

I didn't mean for this thread to go this route, but something needs to be done among Mid Majors. Those Bracket Buster games were a blast. 

I'm well aware of what the bracket buster was. It was organized by ESPN. It started out as an 18 team event featuring the best vs the best, but it eventually grew to having 100+ teams with a bunch of meaningless match ups. After conference expansion ESPN did away with it because with the exodus of big name schools to bigger conferences, there was no way for them to monetize it. If ESPN can't monetize it, nobody can.

No, I really don't think UB/Murray State would pull big ratings. Big East fans would watch the Georgetown/St. Johns game instead. Big 10 fans would watch the Wisconsin/Michigan game instead. Big 12 fans would watch the Kansas/Texas game instead. I could keep going.

Whose going to watch Akron/Stony Brook game outside of an Akron/Stony Brook fan? Literally any match-up between two bottom feeding P6 teams would produce better ratings. ESPN already owns Loyola Chicago's media rights. If they wanted their games on ESPN, ESPN2, or ESPNU, they would be on those stations already. They are instead relegated to ESPN+ on a regular basis like the MAC is.

I'm not denying the games were fun. They were. I just don't see them ever returning. Literally no team outside on Gonzaga on that list (who would have no interest in participating anyways) has drawing power. Basketball schedules aren't made years in advance like football. Both Murray State and Buffalo were expected to be good heading into this season. They could have very easily agreed to schedule one another. They for whatever reason choose not to.

Edited by kreed5120

7 hours ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

I was in the camp who thought it was a bad call.  Especially at that point in the game.  

That CCC team was awfully good.  STVM was ranked #3 in the country and had beaten CCC twice already that season (IIRC) when CCC knocked them out of the state tourney in the Elite Eight.  It was STVM's only loss that year (Josh Williams' senior season).

1 hour ago, Blue & Gold said:

I was in the camp who thought it was a bad call.  Especially at that point in the game.  

That CCC team was awfully good.  STVM was ranked #3 in the country and had beaten CCC twice already that season (IIRC) when CCC knocked them out of the state tourney in the Elite Eight.  It was STVM's only loss that year (Josh Williams' senior season).

Saw that game at the Canton Civic Center.  That place is not great, but I love watcning games there.

We may have St. V in the JAR next week...hosting OHSAA DI Regional semi-final between Barberton District and Elyria District Champs, on Thursday and then the Regional final between the winner of that game vs. the Toledo semi winner....

4 hours ago, kreed5120 said:

Saul already has one foot out the door. His contract is expiring and even OU isn't dumb enough to extend him. 

They just beat us by 30 and then lost to Buffalo by 3 at home after losing by 40 at Buffalo.  He might have them playing their best basketball at the end of the season.  If they make a run we may see more Saul Ball next year.