MAC Tournament Game 2: Buffalo

NWAkron

2 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

Flawed logic, how? The MAC is better than the A-10 this year based off the results on the court this year, which are reflected in KenPom and NET Rankings. I've already stated the MAC is ranked 8th-9th by all the metrics while the A-10 is 12th-15th. KenPom goes back to 2002. I don't see any year where the MAC did better than this years rating. Out of curiosity though, what year since 2000 are you saying the MAC was better than this season? The A-10 only path to multiple bids this season is the same as the MAC's. The #1 seed would have to get upset. The difference is Buffalo will be a single digit seed while VCU will probably be a 10 seed.

Let me point out your flawed logic. Akron beat St. Bonaventure 61-49, who finished 4th in the A-10 at 12-6,  yet you're claiming we couldn't beat 10th seeded St. Josephs. Please explain this logic to me. I'll wait for your response...

Yeh you are definitely an idiot. You should be the next UA President. You definitely qualify. 

Atlantic 10 the past few years - 2 at-large bids in 2017 and 2018 and 6 postseason teams in 2015

Yes A-10 is having a down year. What you want a cookie?

Again our alleged best season in 20 years will still produce no at-large team 

You sound like the freaking pathetic MAC Commissioner defending this bullshit 

4 minutes ago, dre22era said:

Yeh you are definitely an idiot. You should be the next UA President. You definitely qualify. 

Atlantic 10 the past few years - 2 at-large bids in 2017 and 2018 and 6 postseason teams in 2015

Yes A-10 is having a down year. What you want a cookie?

Again our alleged best season in 20 years will still produce no at-large team 

You sound like the freaking pathetic MAC Commissioner defending this bullshit 

Seriously, do you have a reading comprehension problem? We're talking about THIS year. I was even kind enough to bold it for you numerous times. Maybe I should try using smaller words so that you can understand this better. What the A-10 accomplished in 2015-2018 seasons isn't relevant to how they have performed THIS season. The fact you have failed to produce one fact from this year shows even deep down you know the MAC was better than the A-10 this season.

2 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

Seriously, do you have a reading comprehension problem? We're talking about THIS year. I was even kind enough to bold it for you numerous times. Maybe I should try using smaller words so that you can understand this better. What the A-10 accomplished in 2015-2018 seasons isn't relevant to how they have performed THIS season. The fact you have failed to produce one fact from this year shows even deep down you know the MAC was better than the A-10 this season.

I believe i have multiple times. Again based on your bullshit logic = best season in 20 years and yet still no at-large 

So what the MAC is better than the A10 this year. At the end of the day what do we have to show in regards to postseason?

Answer: = Our Conference Champion = the same we have had to show the past 20+ years. 

Its beyond sad you don't understand that 

28 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

Flawed logic, how? The MAC is better than the A-10 this year based off the results on the court this year, which are reflected in KenPom and NET Rankings. I've already stated the MAC is ranked 8th-9th by all the metrics while the A-10 is 12th-15th. KenPom goes back to 2002. I don't see any year where the MAC did better than this years rating. Out of curiosity though, what year since 2000 are you saying the MAC was better than this season? The A-10 only path to multiple bids this season is the same as the MAC's. The #1 seed would have to get upset. The difference is Buffalo will be a single digit seed while VCU will probably be a 10 seed.

Let me point out your flawed logic. Akron beat St. Bonaventure 61-49, who finished 4th in the A-10 at 12-6,  yet you're claiming we couldn't beat 10th seeded St. Josephs. Please explain this logic to me. I'll wait for your response...

You're going to do lasting damage if you keep banging your noggin on that brick wall.

• Like 2

Its like you all are content on watching tonight's game hoping Buffalo will lose on some Gonzaga bullshit because thats literally the only way we have a chance at getting a 2nd team in the tournament. Some take too much pride in defending mediocrity at all cost. Its a Cancer 

But hey some of you Ohioians believe John Richard Kasich Jr. is a God so I dunno why im that surprised. 

Edited by dre22era

5 minutes ago, dre22era said:

I believe i have multiple times. Again based on your bullshit logic = best season in 20 years and yet still no at-large 

So what the MAC is better than the A10 this year. At the end of the day what do we have to show in regards to postseason?

Answer: = Our Conference Champion = the same we have had to show the past 20+ years. 

Its beyond sad you don't understand that 

It's still to be determined whether or not this will be a 1 bid or 2 year bid for the MAC. It just comes down to whether or not Buffalo loses or not. Are you wanting Akron to move to another conference? If so, what one do you think would accept us while being a clear upgrade over the MAC?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

It's still to be determined whether or not this will be a 1 bid or 2 year bid for the MAC. It just comes down to whether or not Buffalo loses or not. Are you wanting Akron to move to another conference? If so, what one do you think would accept us while being a clear upgrade over the MAC?

Dude. For your own sanity (and mine because I keep seeing his posts when you quote them) just stop

19 minutes ago, akronzips71 said:

Strange how KD was able to find guys like that but now that Groce is here the NBA is stealing them all.

Never said that. There are a shortage of quality 6'10+ bigs that can move up and down the court without clogging the paint. A slow footed 6'11 C who is a back to the basket scorer will never be something Groce covets. He doesn't run a 1970s style offense. Expect a 6'8 or 6'9 C who can move the court and is able to stretch the floor with his 3-point shooting. That type of player seemed to work out well for Buffalo this year.

Edited by kreed5120

7 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

Honestly leaving the MAC would be a dream to me but based on how much $$$$$ we have dumped into our Football program that is not possible and to be fair the football side of it is fine. 

Its the basketball side I believe the MAC Commissioner and even our AD have done a pee poor job in defending not only our resume but also other teams in the conference when warranted. For other conferences to consider us we have to get our football and basketball programs back up.  In Recent years prior it would of been a great time to put our name out there. Speaking to higher ups we are a financial disaster right now.  Football season tickets are going for $60 right now. we are desperate. 

• Like 1

On 3/12/2019 at 9:31 AM, NWAkron said:

Didn't he start the other two Buffalo threads?  

AT LEAST WHEN @clarkwgriswold STARTED THE BUFFALO THREADS, THEY WERE RESPECTABLE LOSSES THAT DIDN'T SEND THE REST OF THE THREAD INTO A DOWNHILL SPIRAL TO HELL!

:wave:

Edited by Let'sGoZips94
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

AT LEAST WHEN CLARK STARTED THE BUFFALO THREADS, THEY WERE RESPECTABLE LOSSES THAT DIDN'T SEND THE REST OF THE THREAD INTO A DOWNHILL SPIRAL TO HELL!

:wave:

I think the Toledo Rockets are on a downward spiral to Hell much more than this thread is.

• Haha 1

I'm rooting for John Groce to succeed because I love UA and I love Zips basketball.  I didn't think he was the right choice when they hired him.  I don't think he's a bad coach, I just don't think he's a good coach.   My fear is that we'll see a whole bunch of years of +/- 3 games of .500 ball.  A bunch of 5th through 9th seeds in the MAC tournament.  Maybe a good year where we get hot and win the MAC and maybe win a game in the Dance.  Maybe.  I don't know... I don't know if we'll have time. 

Next year is a very important year for John Groce to prove me and some others wrong.  He will have a full and healthy roster of mostly his guys.  He also has some serious leg work in recruiting because following 2019-20, we lose 7 guys (barring offseason transfers out).  

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

I think the Toledo Rockets are on a downward spiral to Hell much more than this thread is.

At least their athletics website has figured out a way to handle the situation. When going back through their coaching history, their website errors out prior to 2014-15. All their current and future fans will know is Kowalczyk. :rolleyes::lol:

Edited by Let'sGoZips94

8 minutes ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

At least they're athletics website has figured out a way to handle the situation. When going back through their coaching history, their website errors out prior to 2014-15. All their current and future fans will know is Kowalczyk. :rolleyes::lol:

I frequent a MAC sports forum in addition to posting here. Toledo fans enjoy bragging about Kowalcyk 4 MAC West titles as if they mean anything. I find it hilarious. I guess when you haven't made it to the tournament in 39 years there isn't much to brag about.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, kreed5120 said:

I frequent a MAC sports forum in addition to posting here. Toledo fans enjoy bragging about Kowalcyk 4 MAC West titles as if they mean anything. I find it hilarious. I guess when you haven't made it to the tournament in 39 years there isn't much to brag about.

I couldn't believe it when I saw 1980 was their last NCAA tourney appearance. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kreed5120 said:

Never said that. There are a shortage of quality 6'10+ bigs that can move up and down the court without clogging the paint. A slow footed 6'11 C who is a back to the basket scorer will never be something Groce covets. He doesn't run a 1970s style offense. Expect a 6'8 or 6'9 C who can move the court and is able to stretch the floor with his 3-point shooting. That type of player seemed to work out well for Buffalo this year.

But we do not have a 6'9 C who can run the court and score. We can not get a put back. Every time Riak gets the ball in close he throws it away or gets it slapped out of his hands.

Size does matter. The Shrimp (I do like him BTW) trying to drive into the trees without an outside shooter or a good Center to draw the defense is a joke.

This team is doomed.

8 minutes ago, akronzips71 said:

But we do not have a 6'9 C who can run the court and score. We can not get a put back. Every time Riak gets the ball in close he throws it away or gets it slapped out of his hands.

Size does matter. The Shrimp (I do like him BTW) trying to drive into the trees without an outside shooter or a good Center to draw the defense is a joke.

This team is doomed.

First off, I don't think Riak is the ideal C Groce would want for his offense. Riak being here is a byproduct of Groce scrambling for players in year 1 and having some sort of connection with LCJ father, who Riak played for in high school. No C in a Groce offense will be a featured scorer, but he would want a mobile big who can both space the floor to free up the lane for his guards and one who will be able to roll to the basket after setting a high screen. Seeing Riak trying to catch the ball after a high pick and roll to try to score was painful. It's clearly a weakness in Riak's game. I think Xeyrius should be able to do this so it wouldn't surprise me if we see him play 10-15 minutes per game at the C position.

On 3/15/2019 at 12:54 PM, kreed5120 said:

Oh look who got another at large = Atlantic 10 = VCU. 

Best season in 20 years will produce no MAC at large bid idiot 

36 minutes ago, dre22era said:

Oh look who got another at large = Atlantic 10 = VCU. 

Best season in 20 years will produce no MAC at large bid idiot 

They got an at-large because VCU failed to win their conference tournament. The same would have been true for the MAC had Buffalo lost to CMU or BG. Both conferences had 1 at-large caliber team. If you don't believe me,  just look at Buffalo's seed compared to VCU, dumbass.

Edited by kreed5120
  • Like 5