MAC Tournament Game 2: Buffalo

NWAkron

1 minute ago, clarkwgriswold said:

Not at all.  I was naively yet optimistically  asking for your solution.  

I been on record in here saying the problem is the leadership starting with the MAC Commish 

After the Big Ten got screwed the past 2 years in football guess who is retiring? = the Commish and I can confirm that is more of a push out. 

its time for us to hold the commish accountable. The years we got screwed over Not once did the commish speak out defending our resume. 

Again everyone from the ADs to the Commish is fine and dandy because their main concern is football. 

In a perfect world I want to leave the MAC but I know thats not possible right now. 

If no one speaks out Nothing will change. 

This should come as no surprise. Toledo, despite their record and second place finish in the MAC, is given an NIT berth but will have to go on the road. Does the NIT ever put the MAC in position to play at home in the first round? ... the eyes are always on the NCAA tourney and how the MAC never seems to get two in but if you look at where the NIT seeds MAC teams or omits them I think that committee is probably even worse

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, GJGood said:

This should come as no surprise. Toledo, despite their record and second place finish in the MAC, is given an NIT berth but will have to go on the road. Does the NIT ever put the MAC in position to play at home in the first round? ... the eyes are always on the NCAA tourney and how the MAC never seems to get two in but if you look at where the NIT seeds MAC teams or omits them I think that committee is probably even worse

Yup No one respects us. Our NIT game against Ohio State should have been a home game. 

Outside of the #1 seeds, which the NCAA committee picks, I don't think there is any mistaking that the NIT committee picks the teams and match-ups that they think will sell the most tickets. It's no coincidence that Toledo is playing an in state school just like it was no surprise when Akron played Ohio State.

Edited by kreed5120

7 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

Outside of the #1 seeds, which the NCAA committee picks, I don't think there is any mistaking that the NIT committee picks the teams and match-ups that they think will sell the most tickets. It's no coincidence that Toledo is playing an in state school just like it was no surprise when Akron played Ohio State.

The NIT will tell you that they like to limit travel and create regional matchups when possible. They never publicly say that the bigger arena or more perceived ticket sales get preference but it is clear that they do. ... as far as the Akron-OSU game a few years ago goes there were nearly as many akron fans there as OSU fans. The NIT missed a chance at a boisterous crowd in Akron and opted for a less than half full arena in Columbus.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

FYI Longwood University (Big South Conference) 

Brother is the assistant coach and

At 15-17 (5-11 conference) they are hosting a CBI Tournament game against Southern Miss. 

Their Gym is not even better than Memorial Hall! and yet they even have more pull than us 

But yall go right ahead and continue to stay sleep. I am done speaking on it. 

Edited by dre22era

2 hours ago, dre22era said:

FYI Longwood University (Big South Conference) 

Brother is the assistant coach and

At 15-17 (5-11 conference) they are hosting a CBI Tournament game against Southern Miss. 

Their Gym is not even better than Memorial Hall! and yet they even have more pull than us 

But yall go right ahead and continue to stay sleep. I am done speaking on it. 

The ultimate pay to play experience! 

• Like 1

On 3/17/2019 at 8:11 PM, clarkwgriswold said:

My question was directed more at the critics who never offer a solution to the problem.  Of course they are all too often the same people who say the program is worthless yet expect the same worthless program to be of value to a better conference. 

Those of us that have offered solutions get smacked by the ZNO crew, so what is the point.  A comment was made about "EMU, NIU, and Miami actually start to invest in their basketball programs".  Well.....what about Akron?  What have we done except put glue and paint on a poorly designed JAR?  Our destiny was set when a new arena got squashed - PERIOD.  Bye bye KD...tight ties with Lebron and any chances of anything better than the MAC.  We are exactly where we deserve to be. 

7 minutes ago, a-zip said:

Those of us that have offered solutions get smacked by the ZNO crew, so what is the point.  A comment was made about "EMU, NIU, and Miami actually start to invest in their basketball programs".  Well.....what about Akron?  What have we done except put glue and paint on a poorly designed JAR?  Our destiny was set when a new arena got squashed - PERIOD.  Bye bye KD...tight ties with Lebron and any chances of anything better than the MAC.  We are exactly where we deserve to be. 

No reason anyone shouldn't be able to state their position, I just get fed up with griping without solutions.

It has been a while, but I recall that UA was among the larger basketball budgets in the MAC.  Unfortunately, the citizens bailed on a new arena.  It was going to be in an issue to go to the voters and every poll showed it was going down.

With each year, I wonder more if the Georgetown model isn't one to consider.  Pick your sport and devote your money to it while you let the others exist but on a lesser level.  It has recently blown up on Georgetown as the basketball program has slipped and I am not sure a public university is the right place for it, but it is an interesting approach.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, a-zip said:

Akron consistently has one of, if not the highest, basketball operating budget in the MAC. If your solution is to spend more how do you propose we fund that? That money needs to come from somewhere. Its not like the university is swimming in extra money at the moment that they can reallocate to basketball.

Yes, when someone proposes we drop down to D3 they will be laughed at. 

5 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

Akron consistently has one of, if not the highest, basketball operating budget in the MAC. If your solution is to spend more how do you propose we fund that? That money needs to come from somewhere. Its not like the university is swimming in extra money at the moment that they can reallocate to basketball.

Yes, when someone proposes we drop down to D3 they will be laughed at. 

You're just afraid of Otterbein and Muskingum.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, clarkwgriswold said:

No reason anyone shouldn't be able to state their position, I just get fed up with griping without solutions.

It has been a while, but I recall that UA was among the larger basketball budgets in the MAC.  Unfortunately, the citizens bailed on a new arena.  It was going to be in an issue to go to the voters and every poll showed it was going down.

With each year, I wonder more if the Georgetown model isn't one to consider.  Pick your sport and devote your money to it while you let the others exist but on a lesser level.  It has recently blown up on Georgetown as the basketball program has slipped and I am not sure a public university is the right place for it, but it is an interesting approach.

And that was my exact comment years ago when "THAT" stadium was built.  The Georgetown, Gonzaga, UConn model was the solution.  

Basketball and soccer was where the money should have been invested.  KD and Lebron were our only shot at making a leap.  Those two were what made us unique.  The best basketball player in the world and his coach were right here!!

Our chance to break out was to have people that are loyal to UA and the city.  Tressel, Dambrot and Lebron were those people.  They are all gone and sadly I think we will have a revolving door with presidents and coaches.  

BTW - I never griped without giving suggestions. 

Edited by a-zip
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, a-zip said:

And that was my exact comment years ago when "THAT" stadium was built.  The Georgetown, Gonzaga, UConn model was the solution.  

Basketball and soccer was where the money should have been invested.  KD and Lebron were our only shot at making a leap.  Those two were what made us unique.  The best basketball player in the world and his coach were right here!!

Our chance to break out was to have people that are loyal to UA and the city.  Tressel, Dambrot and Lebron were those people.  They are all gone and sadly I think we will have a revolving door with presidents and coaches.  

BTW - I never griped without giving suggestions. 

That tax issue was to be included in an issue with countywide 911 updates and jail improvements as I recall and polls showed that the voters were so against an arena that it would  bring he rest of the issue down so the politicos bailed on it.  Sure would be nice having a decent downtown arena.

57 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

That tax issue was to be included in an issue with countywide 911 updates and jail improvements as I recall and polls showed that the voters were so against an arena that it would  bring he rest of the issue down so the politicos bailed on it.  Sure would be nice having a decent downtown arena.

I believe he's trying to say we should have spent money on a new basketball arena instead of a football stadium. 

So much tax money gets poured into subsidizing the cost of the Knight Center each year. Adding a second convocation center just so Akron could have a shiny new arena would have been a further drain on taxpayers. If we can't muster the fan support to make it profitable for the university to build, which seems to be the case, we should continue to play at the JAR. We should have learned our lesson from the 75% empty football stadium that a build it and they will come philosophy doesn't work.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

I believe he's trying to say we should have spent money on a new basketball arena instead of a football stadium. 

So much tax money gets poured into subsidizing the cost of the Knight Center each year. Adding a second convocation center just so Akron could have a shiny new arena would have been a further drain on taxpayers. If we can't muster the fan support to make it profitable for the university to build, which seems to be the case, we should continue to play at the JAR. We should have learned our lesson from the 75% empty football stadium that a build it and they will come philosophy doesn't work.

When the SVSM/Hoban and state playoff games are your bigger draws in your football stadium, you have a problem.

Edited by clarkwgriswold
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, kreed5120 said:

Yup and Trust me, I don't like it but it is what it is.  I don't get it....Xavier and Dayton have been successful.