2018- 2019 Season Post-mortem

On 3/14/2019 at 8:10 PM, GoZips88 said:

Wonder how we'd be feeling if we came into tournament play 19-12/10-8 and lost to a team that was 13-18/6-12?

Somebody on this board indicated that KD would get his 20th in a post season tournament.  I just checked and they were wrong.  KD will not win 20.  Here is an article on the Dukes season.  https://pittsburghsportsnow.com/2019/03/17/reviewing-the-2018-19-duquesne-mbb-season/

Basically, the Dukes improved from last season and did better than their preseason pick of 11th.  KD"s main point is that he took over a losing program and has turned it around into a winning program that has gotten better each season.   

1 hour ago, GJGood said:

With the announcements by the postseason tournaments the Akron season is now officially over. I did not figure we would be playing anywhere. Does anybody know if we declined or just didn't get offered?

As a MAC team that finished a game over .500, I suspect there were no offers.

11 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

I don't know if Akron got asked or not, but based off the below teams it seems the CIT has pretty low standards. Without looking at each teams resume, I'd have to guess Kent is one of, if not the best team, in this field.

image.png

2 hours ago, clarkwgriswold said:

Not a fan of this tourneys.  Kent has a couple seniors that may want to play more.  Akron is riddled with injuries.  Even Banks was getting worked on during the Buffalo game.   And I'm sure Groce and crew have seen all they need to see in order to make the tough decisions ahead of them.

48 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

Not a fan of this tourneys.  Kent has a couple seniors that may want to play more.  Akron is riddled with injuries.  Even Banks was getting worked on during the Buffalo game.   And I'm sure Groce and crew have seen all they need to see in order to make the tough decisions ahead of them.

Walker is 32 points away from becoming Kent's all-time leading scorer. I'm guessing that played a big part in why they're continuing their season.

• Like 1

I guess that just depends on what the team violation was. I'm guessing it was something fairly major for him to be suspended on senior night. They could very well want to see him break the record, but didn't want to set a bad precedence by showing him preferential treatment. They knew he'd be guaranteed at-least 2 additional games (MAC + postseason tourney) to get the 51 points needed for the all-time record. 

Zips were offered, said no thanks.

According to French on WNIR this morning.

I think Kent accepted because the opponent (ULM) footed the entire bill. Most of the time these tournaments are "pay-to-play" whether home or away. I'm hearing ULM forked over around $40K for the home game and Kent's travel expenses.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I just don't like watching all these other teams playing after Selection Sunday and the Zips sitting at home.  I think in most cases teams should play when invited if they can. I realize that the finances can deter a program from participating and that is sad. I don't think this was the case with the Zips though since the women's team did participate in the WBI. It probably had to do more with the lack of depth.  Not saying I disagree with the decision. I get it but I am disappointed  because the argument a few years ago seemed to be that it was already a veteran team so not that much would be gained by accepting a CBI ot CiT berth. This year we had one senior so I feel the added experience, barring serious injury, could only have been a benefit if there were enough depth.

Edited by GJGood
  • Like 1