2019-2020 Akron Zips Basketball- Looking Forward

43 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

I would guess Channel will.be next to go. Not sure what his role will be.  But I wonder if that will affect his friend coming from the same JUCO.

Channel fits right in, especially on defense. He's one of the best passing-lane-jumpers I've seen in an Akron uniform. He regressed offensively after his injury, but I think that will come back next year. 

20 minutes ago, akronzips71 said:

Close your eyes. You really don't want to see that lineup.

I think your eyes have been closed enough that you have the rest of us covered. :thumb: I, for one, am looking forward to seeing this upcoming season develop. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

Channel fits right in, especially on defense. He's one of the best passing-lane-jumpers I've seen in an Akron uniform. He regressed offensively after his injury, but I think that will come back next year. 

I think your eyes have been closed enough that you have the rest of us covered. :thumb: I, for one, am looking forward to seeing this upcoming season develop. 

I am looking forward to Groce getting off his keister and recruiting some actual D1 players.

3 minutes ago, akronzips71 said:

I can listen to Frenchie.

You thought you just won the internet, didn't you?

I'm just having some fun. It can be quite depressing and unhealthy to constantly listen to Puddles Pity Party. Smile - it's good for the soul. :screwks:

image.png

Edited by Let'sGoZips94
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

Banks is a shooter who lost his shot.  If he regains it, he'll play meaningful minutes.  One of the problems is that now, with Utomi and Ivey gone, they don't have a real 3.  

Maybe they need to think outside the constraints of players being a 2 or a 3 or a 4.  Just put the best 5 on the floor and not worry so much about labels.

3 hours ago, NWAkron said:

Maybe they need to think outside the constraints of players being a 2 or a 3 or a 4.  Just put the best 5 on the floor and not worry so much about labels.

The issue with that becomes defense. If your best 5 are guards/small forwards, you're going to struggle against bigger teams. Vice versa, if your best players are PF/C, you're going to struggle against guard-heavy teams.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, NWAkron said:

You're forced to do that some with a lack of depth (like Utomi guarding bigs and playing in the post).  Having a number of interchangeable athletic and long players like Buffalo makes tossing labels aside much easier too.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Outside of LCJ and I suppose Roscoe, I felt we had pretty good size at the perimeter positions. Particularly for a mid-major. IMO it played a large part in why according to KenPom we were a top 25 defense. Being able to guard multiple positions while also being able to disrupt shots and passing lanes is valuable on the defensive end.

Ivey - 6'5

Utomi - 6'6

Cheese - 6'5

Toles - 6'6

Banks - 6'4

LCJ - 5'8

Roscoe - 6'2

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kreed5120 said:

Outside of LCJ and I suppose Roscoe, I felt we had pretty good size at the perimeter positions. Particularly for a mid-major. IMO it played a large part in why according to KenPom we were a top 25 defense. Being able to guard multiple positions while also being able to disrupt shots and passing lanes is valuable on the defensive end.

Ivey - 6'5

Utomi - 6'6

Cheese - 6'5

Toles - 6'6

Banks - 6'4

LCJ - 5'8

Roscoe - 6'2

I think those heights are generous with the exception of LCJ.  Would Reece be a replacement for Banks?  Looks like Sayles is staying around?  Does he have 3 years of eligibility?

24 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

I think those heights are generous with the exception of LCJ.  Would Reece be a replacement for Banks?  Looks like Sayles is staying around?  Does he have 3 years of eligibility?

You act as though Akron is the only D1 school that is generous with heights. 

51 minutes ago, akronzips71 said:

So we had Zeke at 7, Tree at 6'8, Pat at 6'11, Reggie and Jake at 6'7

We were successful when we were TALL.

Did Tree grow before or after he was a Zip?  I have only ever seen him listed at 6'7" and that was generous.

I agree that height sure helps but coincidentally Treadwell is the perfect example of how a smaller guy with grit can play larger. Other examples are Romeo Travis and Jeremiah Wood.

• Like 1