2019-2020 Akron Zips Basketball- Looking Forward

Maybe he didn't mean to include Ivey at all...

"Big man Emmanuel Olojakpoke and guard Jimond Ivey have joined Utomi in the portal and also are moving on. Groce said he appreciates their contributions as they were two of just five returning players from when he took over two seasons ago."

Ivey graduated and used all 4 years of eligability.  It was a reporter's error. 

It will be interesting to see where Utomi lands.  He is coming off his worst shooting year.  I cannot tell you how many times I saw him drive the lane and hesiate and get in trouble.  He relied on the 3 ball to score and when he was off it was difficult to watch.  Not sure if he will get recruited to a big time program.  I wish E man the best but no great loss for the Zips because he never learned to take the ball to the hoop and he greatest asset was his shot blocking ability.   Riak is a defensive center.  We had 4 centers on the team, E Man, Klac, Riak, and Sayles and not one of them could consistantly put the ball in the basket.  Groce needs to recuit a center that can score.  The jury is still out on Sayles because of his injuries but he needs to work his game.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, 1981 grad said:

It will be interesting to see where Utomi lands.  He is coming off his worst shooting year.  I cannot tell you how many times I saw him drive the lane and hesiate and get in trouble.  He relied on the 3 ball to score and when he was off it was difficult to watch.  Not sure if he will get recruited to a big time program.  I wish E man the best but no great loss for the Zips because he never learned to take the ball to the hoop and he greatest asset was his shot blocking ability.   Riak is a defensive center.  We had 4 centers on the team, E Man, Klac, Riak, and Sayles and not one of them could consistantly put the ball in the basket.  Groce needs to recuit a center that can score.  The jury is still out on Sayles because of his injuries but he needs to work his game.

There was a tweet that Utomi has been looked at by UNC, UVA, Xavier and another handful of good programs. He'll be alright

Even in Utomi' "bad shooting year", he shot 37.3% from 3 on a high volume number of attempts. Its not the 40%+ we're accustomed to, but that's still pretty damn good. You combine that with his ability to guard multiple positions and being a key piece on a top 25 defense and its no surprise UNC, Xavier, and UVA has shown interest. He possesses a skill set that literally all 351 in D1 would like more of.

He won't be a featured scorer on any of those teams like he was there, but there will be a spot on a lot of rosters for him if he's willing to accept being a role player.

4 hours ago, clarkwgriswold said:

News flash- Zips point guard is short.

GT's article this morning has Ivey in the transfer portal.  Sigh.

Good grief. How can you be the beat reporter for years and even make the mistake of writing that? And I bet Utomi has been getting a lot of interest since he apparently grew 2 inches since the season ended.

Edited by ewbrooman1
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, 1981 grad said:

I heard that Utomi has had some interest, I don't know how strong, from Clemson and Nevada. We played both schools this year and they got a firsthand look at his abilities. Whether he is a good fit at either place is up to their coaches to decide. 

6 hours ago, 1981 grad said:

Utomi is a good player and can play immediately, but if he thinks he's going to see any meaningful time at a place like UNC or UVA, he's delusional.  He hasn't been dominant in the MAC.  He certainly will not be a meaningful contributor at a top 5 program.

• Like 1