2019-2020 Akron Zips Basketball- Looking Forward

On 4/12/2019 at 4:29 PM, ZZZips said:

I just scanned the Transfer Portal list on VerbalCommits.

Leader with the most transfers out is UMKC with 10.

In the MAC:

BGSU  0

BSU     0

Buff     0

WMU  1

TOL    1

Mia     1

CMU   1

Ohio    3

NIU     3

KSU    3

UA      4

EMU   6

Previously mentioned on this board is Duq with 5.

We are up to 5 now 

kOYL2jf.png

On ‎4‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 5:35 PM, ZipsVoice said:

HA!  Found my old media guide and...December 1993, 3rd game of the season.  lost 71-43....

Yeah, I came on board the Zips bandwagon the very last season of Coleman Crawford, so I probably just barely missed this one.

On 4/18/2019 at 7:55 AM, Illini Zip said:

Just some light reading, enjoy. (Not my notes)

https://app.box.com/s/vs4ceg7hm841ucz0a363

Interesting stuff.  I have to say though that I haven't seen much of anything resembling a D'Antoni offense under Groce at Akron.    69 ppg is not a D'Antoni offense.

1 hour ago, clarkwgriswold said:

Interesting stuff.  I have to say though that I haven't seen much of anything resembling a D'Antoni offense under Groce at Akron.    69 ppg is not a D'Antoni offense.

We never really had the personnel to run it and we still don't. I identified the below as why a D'Antoni system wouldn't have worked for us last year.

2) We didn't have bigs who could run the court

7) & 8) pretty much go together. The system requires playing more guys and a benefit is you wear down your opponent. We only had what 8 scholarship players? Instead of wearing down our opponents trying to be a running team, we would in turn wear ourselves down. We needed more depth

10) In order to get opposing bigs away from the basket they need to respect your teams big mid-range & 3-point shooting

The last point might be the biggest. "Tough to run without good shooters". I don't think this point needs any explanation.

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

Edited by kreed5120
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, clarkwgriswold said:

Very true. And I understand everyone's frustration with the offense to date while at the same time I see Groce game planning and culture building around the talent he has. Okay, I am going to go back to the scholarship chart and wait for further news like a kid waiting on Christmas.  ;)

1 hour ago, kreed5120 said:

We never really had the personnel to run it and we still don't. I identified the below as why a D'Antoni system wouldn't have worked for us last year.

7) & 8) pretty much go together. The system requires playing more guys and a benefit is you wear down your opponent. We only had what 8 scholarship players? Instead of wearing down our opponents trying to be a running team, we would in turn wear ourselves down. We needed more depth

10) In order to get opposing bigs away from the basket they need to respect your teams big mid-range & 3-point shooting

The last point might be the biggest. "Tough to run without good shooters". I don't think this point needs any explanation.

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

I don't know much about him but could Xeyrius handle short spurts as a small-ball center? it would help get some shooting on the floor and pull bigs away from the basket. you'd be giving up a lot of size but it might be a nice change-of-pace lineup

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, kangaroo kid said:

I don't know much about him but could Xeyrius handle short spurts as a small-ball center? it would help get some shooting on the floor and pull bigs away from the basket. you'd be giving up a lot of size but it might be a nice change-of-pace lineup

Small ball center, yes. Otherwise, Groce said he is a wing that will play some stretch 4.

3 minutes ago, kangaroo kid said:

My hope was that we would see him playing ~10 or so minutes a game at center in a small ball lineup. Hilltopper came out saying he sees that being unlikely. He's more knowledgeable than me on the matter so I'll take his word for it. Even Utomi played the 5 in some emergency situations so Xeyrius still might get some playing time there, but from the sounds of it I'd say it will be an infrequent occurrence.

1 hour ago, kreed5120 said:

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

No question.  I trust it's what he would like to run in a perfect world.  Right now he's resigned to emphasizing defense and slowing things down.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

My hope was that we would see him playing ~10 or so minutes a game at center in a small ball lineup. Hilltopper came out saying he sees that being unlikely. He's more knowledgeable than me on the matter so I'll take his word for it. Even Utomi played the 5 in some emergency situations so Xeyrius still might get some playing time there, but from the sounds of it I'd say it will be an infrequent occurrence.

Utomi played the emergency 5 because he's built like a brick wall - wasn't able to be backed down very easily. X lacks the height advantage and the strength advantage to hold that spot down. 

8 minutes ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

Utomi played the emergency 5 because he's built like a brick wall - wasn't able to be backed down very easily. X lacks the height advantage and the strength advantage to hold that spot down. 

It had more to do with the fact that once Sayles went down with injury and Kostalec transferred we had literally nobody else to be our #3 C. Considering the fact we currently only have 3 scholarship bigs and 1 of them has finished the past 2 seasons injured, it wouldn't surprise me if we're once again forced to play someone out of position at some point during the long season.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 6/5/2019 at 4:25 PM, kreed5120 said:

College basketball will be pushing the 3-point line back to the international distance of 22 feet 1 3/4 inches started next season.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/26905011/ncaa-moving-3-point-line-back-next-season

Using derogatory language about an opponent's mother is apparently still fair game :D

On 6/5/2019 at 4:25 PM, kreed5120 said:

College basketball will be pushing the 3-point line back to the international distance of 22 feet 1 3/4 inches started next season.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/26905011/ncaa-moving-3-point-line-back-next-season

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaab/2019/06/05/college-basketball-three-point-line-moving-back-international-distance/1357922001/

Since 2008, the three-point arc has rested at 20 feet, 9 inches from the center of the basket. The international three-point distance had been tested in the National Invitational Tournament the past two years, and the results from the further distance compared to those from the regular season were negligible.

Teams in the NIT converted long-range attempts at a 33 percent clip compared to a 35.2 percent mark in the regular season. The 32-team field attempted 23.1 3-pointers during the postseason tournament compared to 22.8 attempts during the regular season, too.

• Like 2