2019-2020 Akron Zips Basketball- Looking Forward

16 hours ago, ZippyRulz said:

Using derogatory language about an opponent's mother is apparently still fair game :D

According to the new rule, there are a plethora of derogatory remark subjects that will NOT result in a technical foul against a player; limited only by the student-athlete's imagination. Just a couple of possibilities - comments concerning the size of an opponents member or the opponents criminal past (e.g., for an opponent convicted of theft: "Way to rebound convict. You jumped so high I thought there was a stolen credit card taped to the backboard.)   

The new rule does not appear to cover coaches, managers, trainers, etc. so they may have to pick up some of the derogatory remark load.

• 2 weeks later...

Greetings, I am new to the site, I was wondering who you guys think will be in the starting lineup next season in addition, where do you think players like Toles and Williams will fit in since we have little to no in-game footage to truly evaluate their talent?

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, AkronAlumnus said:

Greetings, I am new to the site, I was wondering who you guys think will be in the starting lineup next season in addition, where do you think players like Toles and Williams will fit in since we have little to no in-game footage to truly evaluate their talent?

Welcome to the board!  Cheese, Riak, LCJ, Williams, and one of the McKnight brothers.?

• Like 1

Welcome Alumnus!!

I see Toles playing either shooting guard or wing depending on the line-up and opponent. Likely coming off the bench. And Williams is a natural wing. A very tall wing, who I expect to start  and play some Stretch 4 as well.

If I had to roll the ball out on the court right now I am starting LCJ, Banks, Cheese, Williams and Riak. Mostly because of their experience with the system and defensive rotations. But I think this is going to be a very competitive off-season and the maturation of these young guys is going to keep the line-up in play all season long. I see Reece, Tribble and Dawson especially pushing for playing time early on.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Illini Zip said:

Welcome Alumnus!!

I see Toles playing either shooting guard or wing depending on the line-up and opponent. Likely coming off the bench. And Williams is a natural wing. A very tall wing, who I expect to start  and play some Stretch 4 as well.

If I had to roll the ball out on the court right now I am starting LCJ, Banks, Cheese, Williams and Riak. Mostly because of their experience with the system and defensive rotations. But I think this is going to be a very competitive off-season and the maturation of these young guys is going to keep the line-up in play all season long. I see Reece, Tribble and Dawson especially pushing for playing time early on.

Hmmm, Interesting. I agree with four of your five, those being LCJ, Cheese, Williams and Riak. However, I would (personally) give the nod to Roscoe over Banks. I was only able to attend two games last season due to the overwhelming workload from law school but I was impressed with Roscoe's ability to produce a spark when Jimond off the floor. 

Edited by AkronAlumnus
Typo

Welcome AkronAlumnus! Glad you are now on our board. I don't know who will be next season's starting five, but I do know Williams will be one of them. A member of the basketball staff told me in the spring that Williams was the best player on the team last season even though he could not play.  he was described as head and shoulders better than anyone else. It's taking time, perhaps too much for some, but this team, and program, is coming together and will be better next season.

Keep the posts coming.

• Like 4

I think it will be LCJ, Cheese, Banks, Williams, and Riak to start the season. These new guys are going to have to show they're willing to put forth the effort on the defensive end to earn their minutes. This probably won't end up being the starting 5 once conference play rolls around.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AkronAlumnus said:

Hmmm, Interesting. I agree with four of your five, those being LCJ, Cheese, Williams and Riak. However, I would (personally) give the nod to Roscoe over Banks. I was only able to attend two games last season due to the overwhelming workload from law school but I was impressed with Roscoe's ability to produce a spark when Jimond off the floor. 

Roscoe did come alive late in the season, you're right. Banks was hitting his shots early in the season and then cooled off. Probably right about the time he learned his woman was pregnant. Anyway, the first question should probably be which of Banks, Roscoe and Toles are on the team when we arrive at 13 scholarship players?

46 minutes ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

Welcome @AkronAlumnus!

My prediction...

LCJ

Cheese

Reece

Williams

Riak

Darkhorses: Tribble & Dawson

I do think we will see this line-up at times during the season. Perhaps quite often. But as funny as it might look on paper, I think Williams would probably be the over-sized wing and Reece would be the under-sized forward. I believe Reece lacks a reliable outside shot. Thoughts?

Edited by Illini Zip

8 hours ago, Illini Zip said:

I do think we will see this line-up at times during the season. Perhaps quite often. But as funny as it might look on paper, I think Williams would probably be the over-sized wing and Reece would be the under-sized forward. I believe Reece lacks a reliable outside shot. Thoughts?

I agree, but I think it's a mix & match situation. With basketball moving towards the taller, more athletic wings, the vintage Power Forward that would potentially over-match Williams might not be seen as often. I'd rather have my "3" be able to over-power his defender and take him to the hole, with the option to dish to my stretch-4 - Williams - in the corner. 

Let's take Buffalo's roster for example (from last season). Perkins at the 5, Harris/McRae at the 4, Graves at the 3, and then Caruthers & Massinburg at the guard positions. Williams could very much handle a Harris/McRae matchup, and that would leave Reece with a pretty big mismatch against Graves - in favor of Reece. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

I agree, but I think it's a mix & match situation. With basketball moving towards the taller, more athletic wings, the vintage Power Forward that would potentially over-match Williams might not be seen as often. I'd rather have my "3" be able to over-power his defender and take him to the hole, with the option to dish to my stretch-4 - Williams - in the corner. 

Let's take Buffalo's roster for example (from last season). Perkins at the 5, Harris/McRae at the 4, Graves at the 3, and then Caruthers & Massinburg at the guard positions. Williams could very much handle a Harris/McRae matchup, and that would leave Reece with a pretty big mismatch against Graves - in favor of Reece. 

I have to admit my knowledge of Buffalo's roster wasn't that good, but I agree with the concept of winning match-ups so I'll take your word for it. And yes, ideally these guys should be able to mix and match.

1 hour ago, Bigzip1 said:

Tribble will be a starter. 6’3 athletic pg who is very explosive and can defend multiple positions. Ball screen action with Tribble and Williams will be deadly in the MAC. 

Love it!  Can't wait to see him in blue & gold.  I'm actually pretty enthused about three freshmen - Tribble, Mikal Dawson & Tre Edwards - all having potential to contribute early.

16 hours ago, kreed5120 said:

I think it will be LCJ, Cheese, Banks, Williams, and Riak to start the season. These new guys are going to have to show they're willing to put forth the effort on the defensive end to earn their minutes. This probably won't end up being the starting 5 once conference play rolls around.

Exactly.  Many may recall Banks started at the start of last season.

I am not "fawning" but I think this roster shows a continued growth of talent on the roster.  I damn sure won't be happy if it is a 2 or 3 win growth, but I do see things trending in the right direction (other than they haven't found that source of unlimited 6' 11" talented D1 players).