2019-2020 Akron Zips Basketball- Looking Forward

3 hours ago, Bigzip1 said:

Tribble will be a starter. 6’3 athletic pg who is very explosive and can defend multiple positions. Ball screen action with Tribble and Williams will be deadly in the MAC. 

Another Newbie, welcome Bigzip1!! If what you say plays out, it will be interesting to see how long it takes for him to grab the reigns. I can see the potential myself and I also could see LCJ and Tribble on the court at the same time. Very exciting.

14 minutes ago, AkronAlumnus said:

Does anyone know off the top of their head who is favorited to win the MAC this upcoming season?

Pre-season favorites won't come out until closer to the fall, but if I had to guess, they'll put all the teams in a circle and play spin the bottle. Whomever it's pointing at, that's the favorite. 

Maybe Toledo if you are making me pick a team, but I think the MAC is that wide open. 

3 hours ago, Illini Zip said:

Another Newbie, welcome Bigzip1!! If what you say plays out, it will be interesting to see how long it takes for him to grab the reigns. I can see the potential myself and I also could see LCJ and Tribble on the court at the same time. Very exciting.

Saw the kid play at flying to the hoop against IMG academy who went on to win a geico national championship this year he was one of the best players on the court in a game with a few future lottery picks. He was a starter on Huntington preps national team alongside future lottery picks and was a major contributor from what I saw. 

• Like 1

Buffalo did quite a bit of reloading. I'd say Buffalo, Toledo, and BGSU would be the favorites right now. I don't see any of those teams being that far ahead of the rest of the pack so I wouldn't be surprised if one of the other 9 MAC teams wins the regular season title or tournament.

Edit: As I whole I expect the MAC to be down compared to the prior two years where it was one of the premier mid-major conferences.

Edited by kreed5120

1 hour ago, clarkwgriswold said:

Any league in which Nick Harney has starred is not one that emphasizes defense or effort.

No but I'm pretty sure Harney and the Zips had their best season following participation in this league. 

The key is for Banks to get back the confidence he had at the beginning of last season. Hopefully it works, because he was a special player last fall. 

Edited by Let'sGoZips94

2 hours ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

No but I'm pretty sure Harney and the Zips had their best season following participation in this league. 

The key is for Banks to get back the confidence he had at the beginning of last season. Hopefully it works, because he was a special player last fall. 

He's played in it multiple seasons.  I think he may still be playing.

If you can't tell, I am still recovering from my frustration from the "Harney years."

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Again, I know it is very early but who do you guys predict will lead the mighty zips in scoring? I think it will be Mr. Cheese. He tended to be the go-to-guy late last year when the zips needed a big bucket. However, I think LCJ will not be far behind. 

10 hours ago, AkronAlumnus said:

Again, I know it is very early but who do you guys predict will lead the mighty zips in scoring? I think it will be Mr. Cheese. He tended to be the go-to-guy late last year when the zips needed a big bucket. However, I think LCJ will not be far behind. 

Having not seen any of our newcomers play, I'm with you.  Cheese is aggressive and has a knack for putting the ball in the bucket.  LCJ is streaky, but when he's on he's one of the more difficult-to-guard players in the MAC.  If Banks can regain confidence in his 3-point shot he's going to be a strong #3.  

Being a local product, I'm looking forward to watching LePear Toles.  He's a very good all-around player.  He just occasionally lacks self-confidence.  But once he grows accustomed to the speed of the D-1 game, I think he's going to be a real asset.  He can handle the ball & in high school was known for his 3-point stroke.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, AkronAlumnus said:

Agree with you here..Cheese or LCJ. Cheese finished the season strong and if LCJ can put it together on a more consistent basis, he could be that guy as well. Xeryius would be my sleeper to throw in.

• Like 2

On 7/5/2019 at 2:19 PM, AkronAlumnus said:

E-Man (Emmanuel Olojakpoke) to transfer to Utah Valley and play this upcoming season per @GoUVU (Utah Valley's Athletics twitter page)

That leaves three forwards on the roster?

Anybody on the Wayne College Warriors who could help out?

• Like 1

Does anyone know whether or not the Zips will be participating in an early season tournament? Last year they competed in The Cayman Islands Classic however, they just released the bracket for the Cayman Islands and the Zips are not listed. 

35 minutes ago, AkronAlumnus said:

Does anyone know whether or not the Zips will be participating in an early season tournament? Last year they competed in The Cayman Islands Classic however, they just released the bracket for the Cayman Islands and the Zips are not listed. 

According to this we're going to be in the Global Sports Classic. It's a 5 team field, however, only 3 teams have been selected thus far (Akron, Louisville, and NC Central).

https://www.bloggingthebracket.com/2018/10/24/18020280/2019-20-college-basketball-early-season-tournaments-events-mte-neutral-site-showcases-thanksgiving

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

According to this we're going to be in the Global Sports Classic. It's a 5 team field, however, only 3 teams have been selected thus far (Akron, Louisville, and NC Central).

https://www.bloggingthebracket.com/2018/10/24/18020280/2019-20-college-basketball-early-season-tournaments-events-mte-neutral-site-showcases-thanksgiving

LOVE the tournaments O-Who and Canada are in. Our field has potential. It will be interesting to see what level the final two teams are, and who they are. It says we have 3 home games, while Louisville has 4 home games and NC Central has 0(?). Is it a round robin type of tournament? I'm assuming Louisville has a 4th home game cause they'd be hosting us, too?

We are also in the Battle for the Capital in D.C. - Akron, Liberty, Towson, Tulane.  

Edited by Let'sGoZips94
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

If you scroll down, almost to the bottom of the page, you will also see the Battle for the Capital. Featuring Akron, Liberty, Towson and Tulane. Mhmm, could this mean the Zips participate in two tournaments one in November and one in December? 

• Like 1