2019-2020 Akron Zips Basketball- Looking Forward

These are the OOC games I've heard of so far. I'm not sure if the list is 100% accurate. In total it's either 10 or 11 games depending how many games we play as part of the "Battle of the Capital" tournament. This means there is still somewhere between 2-3 games left TBD. Of those I'd expect one to be some random NAIA team.

@WVU 
Cleveland State (not sure where the coaches vs. cancer game will be played this year)
@Marshall
UMass
@Louisville
YSU
N.C. Central
USC Upstate

Akron's also participating in the Battle for the Capital, which is a 4 team tournament. The field includes Liberty, Towson, Tulane, and obviously Akron so we're likely playing at least 2 of those team, maybe all 3.

Edited by kreed5120

Did anyone else notice they are doing like football where you can exchange tickets for future games?  Non-conference for non-conference and conference for conference.  This will be good for us as we sometimes skip the weekday school night games and can now bring friends on the weekend.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, zippyfan34 said:

Did anyone else notice they are doing like football where you can exchange tickets for future games?  Non-conference for non-conference and conference for conference.  This will be good for us as we sometimes skip the weekday school night games and can now bring friends on the weekend.

I haven't received anything yet about renewing, but thanks for bringing it to my attention. I'll certainly try to take advantage of it.

I read somewhere that the Battle for the capital Tournament will afford each of the four participating teams two games at the home arena of the WNBA's Washington Mystics.

Akron will play in the nightcap of the doubleheader on December 20 against the Tulane Green Wave. If the Zips win they will play the winner of Liberty/ Towson in the nightcap on Dec 21. If the Zips fall to the Green Wave they will play the loser of the Flames-Tigers matchup in the early game on the 21st.

• Like 2

Tulane was a brutal 4-27 last year.  The roster indicates they are a young team, with one grad transfer and no seniors.  They have a new coach.  Hard to believe they moved on after a a 4-27 season!

Liberty was 29-7 while Towson was 10-22.  Here's hoping we get the test of Liberty. 

WVU, Louisville, Marshall, and potentially Liberty (if that's who we play game 2) should all be pretty good tests. UMass and Tulane should offer us opportunities to pick up some wins over teams from more prestigious conferences. The rest so far look like legitimate cupcakes. Cleveland State may end up giving Chicago State a run for their money as being the worst team in D1 basketball given the recent mass exodus of their players. Overall I'd say the schedule is alright given where we're at in our rebuild. 

Edited by kreed5120

4 hours ago, kreed5120 said:

WVU, Louisville, Marshall, and potentially Liberty (if that's who we play game 2) should all be pretty good tests. UMass and Tulane should offer us opportunities to pick up some wins over teams from more prestigious conferences. The rest so far look like legitimate cupcakes. Cleveland State may end up giving Chicago State a run for their money as being the worst team in D1 basketball given the recent mass exodus of their players. Overall I'd say the schedule is alright given where we're at in our rebuild. 

Quotes from a Terry Pluto cleveland.com article earlier this week about CSU-

"I’ve been told CSU has only six players on the roster at the moment. At least eight have entered the transfer portal."

"I’ve been told the basketball team did not have a strong spring quarter academically. Some of the recruits committed to CSU are very iffy in terms of having the academics to actually make it on to the court."

I don't believe they've yet hired a coach.  Seems like a real recipe for success!

Edited by clarkwgriswold

13 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

Quotes from a Terry Pluto cleveland.com article earlier this week about CSU-

"I’ve been told CSU has only six players on the roster at the moment. At least eight have entered the transfer portal."

"I’ve been told the basketball team did not have a strong spring quarter academically. Some of the recruits committed to CSU are very iffy in terms of having the academics to actually make it on to the court."

I don't believe they've yet hired a coach.  Seems like a real recipe for success!

Just can't stand Pluto.  His writing is junior high newspaper caliber.  This line: "I’ve been told CSU has only six players on the roster at the moment. At least eight have entered the transfer portal"  should instead read, "Sources told me that eight players are transferring, and now only 6 players remain on the CSU roster."  I guess one needs any excuse to use the phrase "transfer portal."

Edited by NWAkron
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, NWAkron said:

Just can't stand Pluto.  His writing is junior high newspaper caliber.  This line: "I’ve been told CSU has only six players on the roster at the moment. At least eight have entered the transfer portal"  should instead read, "Sources told me that eight players are transferring, and now only 6 players remain on the CSU roster."  I guess one needs any excuse to use the phrase "transfer portal."

I'm sorry, but I have to agree with NW, as I've stated earlier in the threads.  Pluto used to be one of my favorites, but he has become unreadable to me, especially on the Browns, and although I truly respect the man, I stopped reading his stuff about a year and a half ago.  Too bad, because there's not much alternative.  I know some here really like Marla, but she's an opportunist as far as writing goes...gets the cushy stories when they "feel good", not much about the lesser area teams if she can't champion something.  

43 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

I have very much enjoyed Terry over the years, but I have to admit his work in recent years has been disappointing.  It's often informal and conversational as opposed to journalistic.

Spot on.  Anymore he definitely fancies himself as more of an expert (I use the term loosely) commentator/analyst as opposed to a journalist.  I don't think many other people do.

Not waiting with baited breath for his annual "Little Engine that Tries" Akron Zips column.

Edited by Blue & Gold
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Bigzip1 said:

Early hot take: John Groce is a shorter balder Phil Jackson and we’re going Dancing! 

A5D33057-2FBD-4DAA-928C-890144852A18.jpeg

Does anyone know what's going on with LePear Toles? He isn't present in this photo nor has he been in any of the photos @ZipsMbb has tweeted/posted.

44 minutes ago, AkronAlumnus said:

Does anyone know what's going on with LePear Toles? He isn't present in this photo nor has he been in any of the photos @ZipsMbb has tweeted/posted.

I've seen him in a couple of the photos posted by ZipsMbb.  He must be taking summer courses & can't make all the workouts?  I also noticed Camron Reese was not in a couple of the pictures, which really concerned me, but he's been in the last few (back row, 3rd from left).

• Like 1

I'm liking the approach Groce is taking while running this program. The social media presence the program has is seeing a huge upgrade the last year or so. They've been working out at Orange Theory Fitness in Copley, which is pretty cool considering the community engagement aspect. On top of that, they have been highlighting player bios on Instagram, and doing excellent classroom work involving topics such as "Why the best are the best." The program seems to be more in line with current trends that are "hip" to the younger generation and what helps attract them to a program, as well as what bonds a team once all together. 

Edited by Let'sGoZips94
  • Like 2

23 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

I've seen him in a couple of the photos posted by ZipsMbb.  He must be taking summer courses & can't make all the workouts?  I also noticed Camron Reese was not in a couple of the pictures, which really concerned me, but he's been in the last few (back row, 3rd from left).

I don't see Channel Banks in that photo either.

3 hours ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

I'm liking the approach Groce is taking while running this program. The social media presence the program has is seeing a huge upgrade the last year or so. They've been working out at Orange Theory Fitness in Copley, which is pretty cool considering the community engagement aspect. On top of that, they have been highlighting player bios on Instagram, and doing excellent classroom work involving topics such as "Why the best are the best.

Orange Theory.  I did that for 9 months.  It's a grind after awhile.