2019-2020 Akron Zips Basketball- Looking Forward

The Ice Cream Social was a nice event.  The attendance wasn't great but OK.  About 10 of the players were there.  Some were in class.  Spoke a little to Xeyrius, Dailey, Walter, Sayles and Roscoe.  All very nice kids.  Told Jayden it was nice to see him without a cast to which he responded with an emphatic "me too!"  Maishe Dailey makes a great impression.  Eloquent, makes eye contact and couldn't be friendlier.  Coach Groce did a great job of working the room while not rushing anyone.

From what I heard, Dawson is not a part of the team at this point and another potential contributor will not play this year.  I don't want to openly air their laundry on here but feel free to message me for any details.  

The schedule is finalized but the MAC won't let them release it until after Labor Day as it is ironing out TV details.

• Like 7

I took my son and I will echo Clark in that it was a nice event.  He loved the ice cream with sprinkles.  He is pretty shy but ended up getting all the autographs of the players that weren't in class.  I also asked Jayden if his wrist was fully recovered and he said emphatically that he is 100%!  Also spoke briefly with Cheese.  Sounded like he took 3 classes this summer and is getting close to graduating.  He wants to be an A.D. after school/basketball.  He also mentioned how he feels the team has continued to get closer off the court.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, LZIp said:

Looks like we are adding a much needed big guy just in time for the season?! Looks like a stretch 4 with 3 years of immediate eligibility.

http://verbalcommits.com/players/taylor-currie 

It looks like he has already committed to a lower level school for this season. Maybe a signing for next year?

He is also quoted as going to Mott College in this article from July

Edit: totally missed that he mentions Mott in his tweet. I still don't think he would be eligible for Akron this season and is probably playing for Mott for one year.

Edited by UAZippers
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

I'm confused more by this than a Clark Griswold post.  Today, he said he is playing for the Zips.  In May he said he was playing for Mott.  Would they say he is a Zip if he is playing a year at a junior college? 

I think so.  I think we get him next year.  It'll be fun to watch how he performs at Mott JC this season.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

I'm confused more by this than a Clark Griswold post.  Today, he said he is playing for the Zips.  In May he said he was playing for Mott.  Would they say he is a Zip if he is playing a year at a junior college? 

Its the same as a high schooler who commits to college before his senior year. You commit early to "lock in" your spot. He just stated his intent for the future.

• Thanks 1

Taylor just turned 18 last month.  He graduated from Clarkston after his junior year, on which he won two state championships alongside MSU star Foster Loyer (son of former Zips star John).  He redshirted and put on about 20 pounds playing against BigTen talent in Madison.  He played his Freshman year of HS at Worthington Christian outside Columbus.  The story from UW seemed to be that he didn't measure up to his teammates, and wasn't expected to get much if any playing time in his RF season.  I'm not sure about his status at Mott CC.  He has 4 years to play four seasons and why use one at the JC level if you could be contributing in NCAA D1?

5 hours ago, Z.I.P. said:

Taylor just turned 18 last month.  He graduated from Clarkston after his junior year, on which he won two state championships alongside MSU star Foster Loyer (son of former Zips star John).  He redshirted and put on about 20 pounds playing against BigTen talent in Madison.  He played his Freshman year of HS at Worthington Christian outside Columbus.  The story from UW seemed to be that he didn't measure up to his teammates, and wasn't expected to get much if any playing time in his RF season.  I'm not sure about his status at Mott CC.  He has 4 years to play four seasons and why use one at the JC level if you could be contributing in NCAA D1?

Nice post Z.I.P. Your last sentence is a good point. I see it as work in practice against better competition and pay your way through school for the year or get in practice/games/school covered for a year. I don't take much issue with either choice.

The impatience is college basketball is intriguing to me. Giving up on a player after their redshirt freshman year is baffling to me. Even giving up on players after their true freshman year (like Groce has done) is baffling to me. Not everyone is going to come in and light the world on fire..some take time to develop and they have up to 5 years of eligibility. I'm glad our program didn't give up on Big Dog that early...

OK, he is not on campus so this year is out, he is not a current UA student (remember, school started weeks ago).

This guy is a wildcard:

1. It makes perfect sense that he plays JUCO rather than sitting out the season as a D1 transfer. This way, if he has a great JUCO season, the offers will flow. If not, he comes to Akron.

2. He could be another K-Lac. He just turned 18, and is 6'8". He might have another inch or two in him. But guys that size with skills (and 3A recruit ratings) do not usually go to junior college. He may have the size but not the skills.

Time will tell.

I'm quite excited about this pick up. Finally, a big man with decent footwork and a shot (from all levels too). I think our offense will expand greatly with X being used at times as a stretch 4 and now with Currie coming in we will be able to maintain it. My only concern is that he has changed teams a couple times already (He had committed to Michigan before deciding on Wisconsin). Hopefully he has all of that out of his system and is ready to commit to finishing his career at Akron. A single season at the junior college level is probably a good decision for someone who has to sit out of D1 competition anyway per transfer rules and who has already been off the court for a redshirt season. I imagine the Akron coaches and trainer will have a conversation with the staff over at Mott CC to discuss a potential developmental program for skill work and conditioning. To finish off the 2020 class, I would like to see us land a rim protecting center and for Mikal Dawson to qualify. Let's go Zips!!

Correction: We still have too many recruits on the board for this year, which means we have at least 3 slots left to fill in 2020. So I will add a speedy PG to my wish list to replace the outgoing LCJ.

Edited by Illini Zip
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, clarkwgriswold said:

Zips football is awful; fantasy football team is awful; Browns struggling; golf season winding down.  Damn am I ready for some basketball!

Malone game is right around the corner. With basketball, there is always hope.  Groce seems more relaxed this year.  He's got his own players.  Hopefully, the soccer team wins before.the basketball team does.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

Video update on the first day of practice.  Season is right around the corner!  Go Zips!

P.s. X is looking good in the few clips he's in.

Tribble looks like the real deal in those clips. Little nuances in his drive to the basket show me he has the raw fundamental skills and athleticism to be a game changer from day 1. X looks like a real leader and strong man down low. I think this offense is going to run through Cheese, though. 

4 hours ago, clarkwgriswold said:

Zips football is awful; fantasy football team is awful; Browns struggling; golf season winding down.  Damn am I ready for some basketball!

I hope you'll be watching the Indians these next 5 games. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1