2019-2020 Akron Zips Basketball- Looking Forward

• 2 weeks later...

Every year some Akron player seems to be lighting it up at that pro am. The talent level at that pro am just doesn't seem to be that great. I'm not going to say he can't be a productive player for us as I honestly don't know. I want to see him do that stuff in practice or in D1 games before I start to get excited.

9 minutes ago, Illini Zip said:

Zipppyfan34, can you please confirm that he is a walk on? It's the logical conclusion, but I just want to make sure before adding him to the chart. It's been a crazy offseason. Thanks.

https://gozips.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=6654

He is also listed as being 19, so there may have been some academic issues in his past?

5 minutes ago, Illini Zip said:

And a general question. Can you redshirt a walk on? Why does that sound strange to me?

Groce mentioned him at the media day finding him at a campus trout so yes he is a walk-in.  He is academically a sophomore so maybe that is why he is a redshirt?

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, zippyfan34 said:

Groce mentioned him at the media day finding him at a campus trout so yes he is a walk-in.  He is academically a sophomore so maybe that is why he is a redshirt?

That explains why he is 19.

But he had all conference honors in High School. How does no one offer him a scholarship? At his size there has to be a program that takes a chance on him, the world is not full of athletes that size who also happened to be all conference in High School.

On 10/1/2019 at 1:51 PM, LZIp said:

I hope so. The potential is there but it all has to come together. I believe we were picked to finish 5th in our division, however.

This is the first I have heard that we have a shot at the Elite 8.

I would have expected something more like 5th in our conference.

What your source?

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Zipmeister said:

This is the first I have heard that we have a shot at the Elite 8.

I would have expected something more like 5th in our conference.

What your source?

I get that your shtick is to be the board's resident smart a$$, but believe it or not, there are also divisions within our very own conference.

ABJ/GT: Optimism reigns for both men and women at media day

GT got Groce's quote a little wrong.  Groce actually said, "We have to get to the point of playing for each other, not just with each other."  I thought it was a good motivational concept.

Edited by Blue & Gold
  • Like 2

I think the walk on kid who excelled in the Akron Canton Pro Am league has the potential to...........keep Marquelle McIntire from getting lonely at the end of the bench this year.

I don't have much confidence in the Blue Ribbon forecast.  It obviously places a lot of emphasis on last year's results.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, akronzips71 said:

That explains why he is 19.

But he had all conference honors in High School. How does no one offer him a scholarship? At his size there has to be a program that takes a chance on him, the world is not full of athletes that size who also happened to be all conference in High School.

I thought 6'10" was the threshold by which everyone should be judged by and given a scholarship offer if that requirement is met? ?

15 hours ago, Hilltopper said:

Kid is a good practice player but really has no chance at seeing the court outside of garbage time. Trust me.

Agreed. I definitely think he'll benefit this team greatly in practice, especially with rim protection. However there doesn't seem to be much fluid motion in his game and it looks like he's moving at 1 mph. DI ball is FAST. He (seemingly) lacks the explosion to be an impact player in a real game. 

2 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

ABJ/GT: Optimism reigns for both men and women at media day

GT got Groce's quote a little wrong.  Groce actually said, "We have to get to the point of playing for each other, not just with each other."  I thought it was a good motivational concept.

Shocker.