2019-2020 Akron Zips Basketball- Looking Forward

On 10/26/2019 at 5:42 PM, ZIPS96 said:

Akron best Xavier is a scrimmage.  Both teams did not play all their key players (I don’t know who).

Come on.....do you really believe that either coach would waste a preseason scrimmage by not playing all of their "key" players.  Obviously none of us were in attendance but to think Groce would blow this opportunity to see his "key" players in action is ridiculous.  Injured and  unable-to-perform players are not "Key" players.

25 minutes ago, ZZZips said:

Come on.....do you really believe that either coach would waste a preseason scrimmage by not playing all of their "key" players.  Obviously none of us were in attendance but to think Groce would blow this opportunity to see his "key" players in action is ridiculous.  Injured and  unable-to-perform players are not "Key" players.

So if Cheese was hurt and held out you would deem him to not be a key player this season?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, zippy5 said:

So if Cheese was hurt and held out you would deem him to not be a key player this season?

We have several players who are unavailable now and others unfortunately who will be unavailable as the season progresses.    My response to Zips96 was that the coaches played all the key players that were available.  His comment insinuates that key players where not put on the floor by coaches decision.  Obviously #4 and #1 are a significant part of our offense  but each guy must get healthy in order to make this a successful season. 

26 minutes ago, ZZZips said:

We have several players who are unavailable now and others unfortunately who will be unavailable as the season progresses.    My response to Zips96 was that the coaches played all the key players that were available.  His comment insinuates that key players where not put on the floor by coaches decision.  Obviously #4 and #1 are a significant part of our offense  but each guy must get healthy in order to make this a successful season. 

where does it say that Cheese and LCJ are injured?  What's wrong with them?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

Not much respect.  Let's make 'em pay for the slight, boys.

This has to be the year to separate from Miami.  Zips and Redhawks got new coaches the same year, and both had gutted programs.  We humiliated them in first round of tournament.  No more stupid losses in Oxford.  BGSU is in 4th year or so of their rebuild, and they are hitting their stride after years in the darkness.  Buffalo is big question mark for me.  As for PCCC at Ravenna, we know very well what to expect from Pinky and the Flashes even without the Jaylens.  Akron needs to prove they can win on the road in the MAC before they will get any respect.

Groce mentioned in one of the interviews with Chad that we're playing fast/uptempo on offense. 

Has anybody seen a practice? Are we playing an aggressive uptempo offense where we're constantly driving to the basket, or are we running down the floor and pulling up or kicking out for a jump shot? How's the shooting ability on this team? 

The roster make-up screams DRIVE DRIVE DRIVE with what looks to be some solidly built guards (size, control, speed wise), but our Achilles since Groce took over has been shot-making. 

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/18/2019 at 11:39 PM, Let'sGoZips94 said:

I'm optimistic that with a full year under their belts and another full off-season to improve their craft, our offensive base will be much more solid. Throughout the season we saw growth tremendous growth from numerous players - Riak & Cheese were the two most notable - and I trust the individuals on the team will put the work in to improve for the betterment of the team as a whole. 

It needs to be noted the system Groce has implemented on offense and defense. They are very fundamental. They require personnel that will dedicate themselves to the fundamentals, something AAU has largely killed off. We have lots of movement now when executed properly, and that goes for both sides of the ball. Two factors have led to the exodus - players not buying into the system, and players simply not fitting in. It happens, and it has been magnified by the state of the program when Groce took over. All season I had next year and the year after next circled because those are the seasons that start to feature the core of Groce Ball with the majority being his personnel. Whatever we accomplished these first two seasons would be whatever, and I was simply hoping to see the basics implemented. I've seen that and way, way more. With the departure of Utomi, it accelerates the roster turnover to becoming mostly Groce guys. 

As I mentioned, a lot of the fundamentals in basketball have been killed off by AAU ball. It was very encouraging to see so many guys this year buy into those fundamentals again, especially on defense. Seeing that gives me a lot of hope this off-season will yield big improvements all the way around. 

Also, are we forgetting the MAC is about to potentially enter the stage it was at when Dambrot took over? It depends on what Buffalo does; otherwise, it's completely up for grabs. Fret not. Go Zips!

I would like to give a shout out and well done to the above and also Clark Griswold who predicted the 3 guard starting rotation of Jackson Banks and Cheese along with Riak and Williams.  I was always concerned about the number of transfers but you were correct that Groce was just getting players who wanted to be in his system and would work within his system.  Nobody predicted that Groce would be coach of the year or that Jackson would be player of the year.  The Zips finished the season strong and beat Buffalo in Buffalo.  I cannot remember the last time that happened.  We had a great season!!!  It just ended too soon.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, 1981 grad said:

I would like to give a shout out and well done to the above and also Clark Griswold who predicted the 3 guard starting rotation of Jackson Banks and Cheese along with Riak and Williams.  I was always concerned about the number of transfers but you were correct that Groce was just getting players who wanted to be in his system and would work within his system.  Nobody predicted that Groce would be coach of the year or that Jackson would be player of the year.  The Zips finished the season strong and beat Buffalo in Buffalo.  I cannot remember the last time that happened.  We had a great season!!!  It just ended too soon.

Thanks @1981 grad. I don't know if I expected as great of a season as we had (certainly did not predict LCJ's play), but I was excited for the year. As you said, it just ended too soon, and not in the usually fashion...

47 minutes ago, 1981 grad said:

Thanks.

I guess it is about time for me to roll out a "2020-2021 Akron Zips Basketball- Looking Forward" thread.