2019-2020 Akron Zips Basketball- Looking Forward

I’m guessing...

PG: LCJ

W: Tyler Cheese

W: Channel Banks

P: Xeyrius Williams

P: Deng Riak

Greg Tribble & Camron Reece will be the first off the bench.

Jaden Sayles & Jeremy Roscoe will flesh out the rotation.

Dark Horse: Freshman Tre Edwards

Redshirts: Ali Ali and Maishe Dailey & Bryan Trimble (obviously).

• Like 1

On 9/28/2019 at 12:15 AM, akronzips71 said:

Someone should correct their graphic. Larry Jenkins played way before 1971. I know for a fact because I was gone from Akron in June 1971 and for sure I saw him play for probably at least two years.

Jenkins played from 1971-74. https://gozips.com/news/2006/2/14/2_14_2006_4541.aspx

18 minutes ago, ewbrooman1 said:

This is incorrect. I left Akron in June 1971. I saw him play. At least one full season, possibly two.

As I recall the first year he was on campus he "chose" not to play - got this from someone who was in his class and was friends with him. Of course, there may have been other reasons.

But this is my recollection.

I think B&G has the right idea, especially to start the season. I thought Ali would be a good redshirt candidate this year as well, but maybe not now with the other two sitting out. Another question which will be interesting to learn is where Groce focuses Tribble this year. Remember Groce likes to limit Freshman to one position. I think it's going to be at point guard. And I agree with Let'sGoZips94 that Cheese is likely to help anchor the point guard position early on, especially against competition like West Virginia. But this off-season, Cheese is likely practicing at all three guard spots and LCJ is learning to play as an off guard with Tribble running the point. It's hard to predict how the team will develop through the course of a season, but here is a point guard heavy lineup that might not be a starting line up, but one I hope to see on the court by the time we get to Cleveland.

Tribble

LCJ

Cheese

X

Riak

Edited by Illini Zip
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, akronzips71 said:

This is incorrect. I left Akron in June 1971. I saw him play. At least one full season, possibly two.

As I recall the first year he was on campus he "chose" not to play - got this from someone who was in his class and was friends with him. Of course, there may have been other reasons.

But this is my recollection.

The 70-71 season was complete before June, 71, so I'll give you "one full season."

As for "possibly two" - either your memory is fading or them must have been some really good shrooms.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

I’m guessing...

PG: LCJ

W: Tyler Cheese

W: Channel Banks

P: Xeyrius Williams

P: Deng Riak (obviously).

Agree on that starting 5.  I think/hope Banks gets his shot back.  I can also see situations when Riak comes off of they floor and we see Reece and X on the floor together.  I anticipate Reece being the biggest addition.

I like to watch guys in warmups, especially new guys early in the season to get a sense of what the Zips have.  Early last season, Banks had a beautiful shot while Cheese really struggled.  As the season went on, they went in different directions.  My observations of Banks' shot is what gives me some hope.

Edited by clarkwgriswold

1 hour ago, Zipmeister said:

The 70-71 season was complete before June, 71, so I'll give you "one full season."

As for "possibly two" - either your memory is fading or them must have been some really good shrooms.

Possibly my junior year was the one he was on campus but did not play.

It was a long long time ago in a place far far away.

I was a hoops nut. Went to every home game and many away games. I recall going to Toledo. We go our asses kicked.

And Randy Smith vs Len Paul was a real treat.Buffalo State was HUGE. They also beat us up pretty good.

39 minutes ago, akronzips71 said:

Possibly my junior year was the one he was on campus but did not play.

It was a long long time ago in a place far far away.

I was a hoops nut. Went to every home game and many away games. I recall going to Toledo. We go our asses kicked.

And Randy Smith vs Len Paul was a real treat.Buffalo State was HUGE. They also beat us up pretty good.

Did you write short angry letters to the Buchtelite when they lost?

• Haha 1

It is doubtful that either Ali or Edwards will be redshirts. Both have enough talent to see the floor during games. Remember that Edwards was originally a Buffalo commit. He is a prototypical Buffalo recruit, 6'6", long arms, fast and super athletic. After seeing Ali this week I was impressed with his size, athleticism and ability to handle the ball. You don't get quality players if you tell them you are going  to redshirt them.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, AyYo said:

I'm a little surprised that Riak would be starting, as I was not impressed with him last season. But I guess there's not really another true Center option. I'd like to see Banks start in a three-guard set.

DR is a solid player. What he lacks at the offensive end he makes up with defense and leadership. He also has an amazing motor. Never takes a possession off .This year we will have more offensive weapons. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AkronAlumnus said:

Do you guys think this years team has more talent than last years team?

Yes.  They lost Ivey and Utomi which hurt, but I think the additions plus a year under the new kids from last year more than balances out those losses.  I think they are also deeper than last year.  I don't see them being world beaters and I haven't broken down the schedule, but I'd bet around 20 wins.

• Like 1

On 9/30/2019 at 11:58 AM, AkronAlumnus said:

Do you guys think this years team has more talent than last years team?

100% yes. We have gotten more and more athletic each year, and this is the year I think we start to see the actual talent on this team produce. This team looks like Groce's O-Who teams that won 3 NCAA tourney games in 4 seasons (not that I'm suggesting we'll win an NCAA tourney game this year; we'll certainly be more competitive than in recent years). 

20 hours ago, NWAkron said:

I think they will be more "mentally" talented.  There were a few emotional drains on the team the last couple years.  Groce has the players HE can connect with and work with now.

Could not agree more. 

• Like 2

I had a nice talk with Groce at the Ice Cream Social about the team's continued progress and development since he came on board.  He wet on to explain how when he was offered the job he spoke with his staff and they thought they could come up to speed a little quicker than usual because the team had a nice nucleus.  By the time they got here, they were essentially down to 5 players.   This is the year I think they take a step forward as he's finally on to his kids and program.

• Like 1