clarkwgriswold

2019-2020 Akron Zips Basketball- Looking Forward

On 10/23/2019 at 5:10 PM, kreed5120 said:

Any reason we don't schedule Robert Morris in the regular season? They're probably better than any team we play at home this year in OOC play outside of maybe UMass.

Oh Ohh, I know, I know.............

Preseason KenPom ratings:

UMass 240

Robert Morris 308

On 10/26/2019 at 5:42 PM, ZIPS96 said:

Akron best Xavier is a scrimmage.  Both teams did not play all their key players (I don’t know who).

Come on.....do you really believe that either coach would waste a preseason scrimmage by not playing all of their "key" players.  Obviously none of us were in attendance but to think Groce would blow this opportunity to see his "key" players in action is ridiculous.  Injured and  unable-to-perform players are not "Key" players.

25 minutes ago, ZZZips said:

Come on.....do you really believe that either coach would waste a preseason scrimmage by not playing all of their "key" players.  Obviously none of us were in attendance but to think Groce would blow this opportunity to see his "key" players in action is ridiculous.  Injured and  unable-to-perform players are not "Key" players.

So if Cheese was hurt and held out you would deem him to not be a key player this season?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, clarkwgriswold said:

I don't remember what season it was, but I heard the rumors that the Zips took it hard to Michigan in a scrimmage and then didn't meet those expectations.

5 hours ago, zippy5 said:

So if Cheese was hurt and held out you would deem him to not be a key player this season?

We have several players who are unavailable now and others unfortunately who will be unavailable as the season progresses.    My response to Zips96 was that the coaches played all the key players that were available.  His comment insinuates that key players where not put on the floor by coaches decision.  Obviously #4 and #1 are a significant part of our offense  but each guy must get healthy in order to make this a successful season. 

26 minutes ago, ZZZips said:

We have several players who are unavailable now and others unfortunately who will be unavailable as the season progresses.    My response to Zips96 was that the coaches played all the key players that were available.  His comment insinuates that key players where not put on the floor by coaches decision.  Obviously #4 and #1 are a significant part of our offense  but each guy must get healthy in order to make this a successful season. 

where does it say that Cheese and LCJ are injured?  What's wrong with them?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, clarkwgriswold said:

Wife just texted me that the tickets came today.  Wooooohoooooooooooo!

download.png

Clark Griswold gets an early Christmas bonus

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

Not much respect.  Let's make 'em pay for the slight, boys.

This has to be the year to separate from Miami.  Zips and Redhawks got new coaches the same year, and both had gutted programs.  We humiliated them in first round of tournament.  No more stupid losses in Oxford.  BGSU is in 4th year or so of their rebuild, and they are hitting their stride after years in the darkness.  Buffalo is big question mark for me.  As for PCCC at Ravenna, we know very well what to expect from Pinky and the Flashes even without the Jaylens.  Akron needs to prove they can win on the road in the MAC before they will get any respect.

Groce mentioned in one of the interviews with Chad that we're playing fast/uptempo on offense. 

Has anybody seen a practice? Are we playing an aggressive uptempo offense where we're constantly driving to the basket, or are we running down the floor and pulling up or kicking out for a jump shot? How's the shooting ability on this team? 

The roster make-up screams DRIVE DRIVE DRIVE with what looks to be some solidly built guards (size, control, speed wise), but our Achilles since Groce took over has been shot-making. 

On 7/5/2019 at 2:19 PM, AkronAlumnus said:

E-Man (Emmanuel Olojakpoke) to transfer to Utah Valley and play this upcoming season per @GoUVU (Utah Valley's Athletics twitter page)

Set the UVU single season block record last night. Good for him

• Like 1

2 hours ago, zippy5 said:

Set the UVU single season block record last night. Good for him

Good for him.  Seemed like a great kid.  Looks like he's averaging 20 minutes, 5.8 points and 5 rebounds a game.