Buffalo- the next Cincinnati

K-Roo

Buffalo is the Class of the MAC - Elton Alexander

"Comparing Buffalo now to programs like Gonzaga, Butler or Creighton is apples to oranges. Those are all private university, basketball-only programs. UB is more in line with a state school like Cincinnati, a football-playing school in a pro town without pro basketball that actually supports two high-end college hoops programs (UC and Xavier)."

It seems a bit too soon to compare a team whose made it to 12 Sweet 16s and has 2 national championships to a team that has a combined 1 tournament win in program history. If they're still doing what they are now in 5 years, I'll start talking about it. As of now there are tons of schools that thought they were going to be the next (insert power house basketball program here). Look at Cleveland State as a prime example. Now they're stuck with a monstrosity of an arena that is bleeding the university much like Infocision is doing to us.

• Haha 1

I found this section to be encouraging for Akron's OOC schedule potential.

"Third, Buffalo is a professional sports town, but has no professional basketball. Oats’ salary reflects Buffalo’s growth in attendance, which should only improve as time goes on. Once the Bulls start bringing in quality non-conference opponents it will only get better. And because UB plays Division I football, the chance to bring in those opponents will increase.

Top-tier football programs covet MAC teams for “buy games.” These $1-million plus paydays usually come with little leverage. Now UB can hopefully get a return home basketball game with some of those paydays vs. Big Ten, SEC or Big 12 opponents, which will improve the Bulls’ chances for basketball growth even more."

Also, I was curious if there has ever been talk about a MAC Conference Sports Channel? I would think even a modest version could bring in good money for the entire conference. I would much rather that than supporting ESPN's streaming services.

14 minutes ago, Illini Zip said:

Also, I was curious if there has ever been talk about a MAC Conference Sports Channel? I would think even a modest version could bring in good money for the entire conference. I would much rather that than supporting ESPN's streaming services.

They did, but the the channel name "Comedy Central" was already taken.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Rough ending to the season for Buffalo.  They lost by 20 to Texas Tech (and it wasn't even that close).

The question is can they sustain this success?  From 2009 to 2013, Akron won 3 of 5 MAC Tournament titles.  Some might have thought that we were on our way to becoming a MAC power.   We have not won a title since.  There seems to be an ebb and flow to which school will have a 4-5 year run of success.

15 minutes ago, zipsrule said:

Rough ending to the season for Buffalo.  They lost by 20 to Texas Tech (and it wasn't even that close).

The question is can they sustain this success?  From 2009 to 2013, Akron won 3 of 5 MAC Tournament titles.  Some might have thought that we were on our way to becoming a MAC power.   We have not won a title since.  There seems to be an ebb and flow to which school will have a 4-5 year run of success.

Buffalo's success seems a bit more "successful" than Akron's.   Will be nice to no longer see those four Bull seniors again.  If Oats leaves to Cal, Vanderbilt, Alabama or wherever and takes a couple of those guys, then things will equalize in the MAC.  If he stays, I think they remain dominant but nothing like this year.

Fire Oats for losing by 20 (not even that close) to a superior team. ;)

What will be interesting to see should Oats stay, if he's able to replicate the success based on the formula they've been using - long, athletic players with an up-tempo offense. The bear is going to be replacing Massinburg - the guy's an assassin. Harris will be the next toughest to replace. Those two are what separated Buffalo from most mid-majors. 

• Like 2

Can someone explain something to me? Texas Tech started a 6'8 center and ran a 8 man rotation. The tallest player they had coming off the bench was 6'5. Based on some comments I've seen on this board, I was under the impression that you can't win meaningful games unless you have multiple 6'11 bigs. How was Texas Tech not only able to beat Buffalo by 20, but also able to make it this far in the tournament with such a small lineup? Is it possible that there is more than 1 way to win a basketball game?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, kreed5120 said:

Can someone explain something to me? Texas Tech started a 6'8 center and ran a 8 man rotation. The tallest player they had coming off the bench was 6'5. Based on some comments I've seen on this board, I was under the impression that you can't win meaningful games unless you have multiple 6'11 bigs. How was Texas Tech not only able to beat Buffalo by 20, but also able to make it this far in the tournament with such a small lineup? Is it possible that there is more than 1 way to win a basketball game?

They dominated the boards and did not allow Buffalo to drive inside. Must jump higher. Like when Eman added 20" to his vertical leap.

I'm glad Buffalo had some success the past 2 years. Makes the MAC look better. Is Oats going to be there long term? Seems like right now is a pivotal point for him to make that decision. He loses a lot and could end up costing himself a lot of $$$ if he stays and isn't able to at least replicate recent success.  I have trouble seeing him there next year, IMO.

53 minutes ago, LZIp said:

I'm glad Buffalo had some success the past 2 years. Makes the MAC look better. Is Oats going to be there long term? Seems like right now is a pivotal point for him to make that decision. He loses a lot and could end up costing himself a lot of $$$ if he stays and isn't able to at least replicate recent success.  I have trouble seeing him there next year, IMO.

He did just sign an extension the same day Buffalo knocked out Akron. I think that does show a willingness of him of wanting to stick around. I'm hearing the buyout of the new deal is in the $700k range. I'd think an Alabama or UCLA could easily cover that $700k with their petty cash fund plus offer him a deal in the $1.5 million+ range. I think he might be willing to take a little less to stay at Buffalo, but if some program comes and offers to double his salary, I think it would be hard for anyone to turn it down.

Edited by kreed5120

He did just sign an extension the same day Buffalo knocked out Akron. I think that does show a willingness of him of wanting to stick around. I'm hearing the buyout of the new deal is in the $700k range. I'd think an Alabama or UCLA could easily cover that $700k with their petty cash fund plus offer him a deal in the $1.5 million+ range. I think he might be willing to take a little less to stay at Buffalo, but if some program comes and offers to double his salary, I think it would be hard for anyone to turn it down.

Where's Lori Loughlin when you need her? Just offer her enrollment for her grandkid(s) and she'd buy that contract out in a heartbeat! Only $200k more than her last purchase!

Edited by Let'sGoZips94
  • Haha 3

UNLV is in need of a rebuild, but with 20 NCAAT appearances, 10 Sweet 16 appearances, and 1 national championship I wouldn't quite label it as a little fish in a bigger pond. The problem with the UNLV job is the fanbase is never going to be happy unless Oats returns it back to its glory days of the mid 70s-early 90s. It was a good pass on his part IMO.

Edited by kreed5120
  • Like 1

UNLV is in need of a rebuild, but with 20 NCAAT appearances, 10 Sweet 16 appearances, and 1 national championship I wouldn't quite label it as a little fish in a bigger pond. The problem with the UNLV job is the fanbase is never going to be happy unless Oats returns it back to its glory days of the mid 70s-early 90s. It was a good pass on his part IMO.

And working for that female AD whose first move was to fire the basketball coach could also be a red flag

Oats seems like a guy who would at least stay for the first couple years of a newly signed deal. If the big paychecks are still calling his name a couple years from now then I could see him going elsewhere but I think he will be at Buffalo for another two years or so if they stay at the top of the MAC and probably longer if they do not.