Buffalo- the next Cincinnati

K-Roo

• 5 months later...

Syracuse is the only school in NY that is rolling in the money on athletics and it's private so I don't think this would apply to them. All these type of laws are going to do is force public schools to reduce or eliminate athletics all together. It seems the general populous thinks because schools like OSU, Michigan, Alabama, USC, etc. are rolling in the money that all other schools are as well. Between division 1 & 2 there are nearly 700 athletic programs. I'd have to guess 90% of those rely heavily on student subsidies already to fund their athletics. They're now going to have to raise student athletic fees even more as laws like these further reduce the little revenue athletics generates.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, kreed5120 said:

Syracuse is the only school in NY that is rolling in the money on athletics and it's private so I don't think this would apply to them. All these type of laws are going to do is force public schools to reduce or eliminate athletics all together. It seems the general populous thinks because schools like OSU, Michigan, Alabama, USC, etc. are rolling in the money that all other schools are as well. Between division 1 & 2 there are nearly 700 athletic programs. I'd have to guess 90% of those rely heavily on student subsidies already to fund their athletics. They're now going to have to raise student athletic fees even more as laws like these further reduce the little revenue athletics generates.

Syracuse already obviously pays their basketball athletes.  How else could you explain top talent from around the country going to Syracuse, New York to play basketball?

1 hour ago, clarkwgriswold said:

Syracuse already obviously pays their basketball athletes.  How else could you explain top talent from around the country going to Syracuse, New York to play basketball?

That's a joke, right?

Syracuse has always been a premier athletic school, as well as a status symbol scholastic school.

https://www.ranker.com/list/famous-syracuse-university-alumni-and-students/reference

https://www.syracuse.com/orangefootball/2017/08/who_is_the_best_all-time_syracuse_football_player_at_every_position.html

https://www.ranker.com/list/best-syracuse-orange-basketball-players/ranker-ncaa-basketball

1 hour ago, akronzips71 said:

Yes, obviously (well, maybe not).  Actually, it is an old Jim Rome joke.