Zips—2019 NFL Draft

Dr Z

Zips in draft.  

31 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I voted that Davis will get drafted before Gilbert. I feel like before last season, it would have been the other way around. Davis really stood out last year, but with Gilbert getting moved around, he somewhat faded unfortunately. 

Gilbert to make official predraft visit to Pittsburgh.

Draft Scout has Gilbert projected as a 5th round pick but given his impressive workouts, his stock could be on the rise. He’s the second linebacker reported to have a visit scheduled, joining TCU’s Ben Banogu. In Pittsburgh, Banogu would play on the edge while Gilbert would slide in at the Mack linebacker spot.

Note: I’m not sure the article is correct in suggesting hat Gilbert counts against the Steelers 30 visits. In the past UA visits have been considered local. Although most teams don’t even use all their official visits.

• 2 weeks later...

https://gozips.com/news/2019/4/23/akron-football-to-participate-in-akrons-draft-day-experience-on-saturday.aspx

The University of Akron football will participate in the City of Akron’s celebration of the Draft Day Experience on Saturday, April 27, from 2:30 to 5:30 p.m. at Lock 3 (200 South Main Street). The Zips will join City officials in announcing a 2019 NFL Draft pick on Day 3 live during the national telecast as a part of the NFL’s 13 original cities. Akron’s head coach Tom Arth and Director of Athletics Larry Williams, both former NFL players, are slated to participate. At Lock 3, fans will be treated to big screen television coverage as well as games, inflatables, and food trucks. The event is FREE.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, LZIp said:

Normally I would partially laugh at the idea of the Zips participating in celebrating Day 3 of the Draft, but with John Dorsey as GM of the Browns, Day 3 matters. Plus, it gives Arth and the program some exposure. 

17 hours ago, gozips19 said:

K Brown article 

https://dawindycity.com/2019/04/23/chicago-bears-nfl-draft-kyron-brown/

Zips haven't had 2 players drafted in the same draft. Let alone 3 right?!

Yet another reason for me to shake my head, ponder the mediocrity and utter to myself "what the hell?"

Edited by clarkwgriswold
  • Like 1

The Browns and NFL Draft: Whispers, trade partners and dot-connecting

After asking around on the pro day circuit and over the last couple of weeks, I learned lots of scouts see Toledo wide receiver Diontae Johnson and Akron edge rusher Jamal Davis as third-day picks who could become keepers.

Most teams see Davis as a developmental 3-4 outside linebacker, but assuming the Browns keep multiple third-day picks they could find themselves looking for designated pass-rushers and utility players at every level of the defense.

I'm assuming that the Browns taking a LB in the third means they probably won't go after Gilbert. Unless he's undrafted. Still am a bit worried Pittsburgh might pick him. Although they also took a LB but don't think they are as solid at the position as Cleveland.

Edited by akzipper

14 hours ago, akzipper said:

I'm assuming that the Browns taking a LB in the third means they probably won't go after Gilbert. Unless he's undrafted. Still am a bit worried Pittsburgh might pick him. Although they also took a LB but don't think they are as solid at the position as Cleveland.

The Steelers currently own the 122, 141, 175, 192, 207 and 219 picks in the draft. They play the 3-4 (linebackers), and in my opinion are not done taking linebackers in this draft. They love MAC players (already selecting one this year). The Steelers had Ulysees in for a pre-draft visit, and have a track record of taking players they meet with.  “It was amazing, honestly. The Steelers were my favorite team growing up, so to meet everybody and meet Tomlin and just be around there — it was a blessing. I really enjoyed it.” --UG

Edit: The Steelers draft another MAC guy at 175, Northern Illinois, Sutton Smith. Will move to ILB. Probably dismisses Ulysees landing in the Burg. Good luck to him wherever he goes!