Keeping up with Keith (Dambrot)

9 hours ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

St Louis was a decent win, but the other 3 conference wins were against the dregs of the A-10. Let’s see what they do against RI, Dayton, VCU, etc. 

St. Louis has victories over Kansas St. and Boston College, with 2 of their now 3 losses being #12 Auburn and #12 Seton Hall (at the time, respectively). So I would definitely say that was a decent win. 

St. Joe's (0-4, 3-13), George Washington (0-3, 6-10), and UMASS (1-2, 7-9) are the other 3 wins, which are actually quality wins compared to the rest of Duquesne's cupcake schedule. 

We'll know pretty quickly if they're contenders or pretenders, with 4 out of their next 7 being URI, Dayton, St. Louis, and St. Bonnie. 

38 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

My guess is that they'll win 22 or 23 games, lose in the semis of the A10 tournament and be on the edge of an NCAA berth.

I have to resist a 'beat a dead horse' response so I'll just say you will more than likely be spot-on with that prognostication!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ZippyRulz said:

Which is more excitement than they've had in quite a while.

Love him or hate him, if they have a good A-10 season, Coach D deserves huge Kudos.  I read an article about how they have no arena (or even home locker room/practice facility) until their arena is finished being remodeled next year.  They're practicing at the university rec center.  Amazing coaching job to have his team in this position, regardless of non-conf schedule.

• Like 2

Dukes scarf down yet another cupcake, nipping now 6-10 (0-4) Fordham at PPG Arena in OT, 58-56.

I watch the 2nd half on the treadmill last night...Dukes looked crappy. We'd beat them. 

Lots of people complain about our basketball Marketing. To get people off their backs they should set up a 2020 Saturday night game - Duquesne vs. Akron at Rocket Mortgage Field House  (formerly The Q). Or even The Convo. They'd easily draw 12k for that one. It'd be a blast, and a shot in the arm for local college basketball. 

If the Dukes wanted a home-home, I'm sure Groce would oblige. Is KD afraid to schedule his old team? Is he "too good" to play a MAC program home-home now that he's in the A-10? 

Kind of funny considering how often Dambrot said "not even Bob Huggins would come to the JAR" over the years. Duquesne certainly is no WVU. Kind of a shame for them they didn't schedule us. Had they won that would have been a huge boost to their resume. Now given how weak their OOC schedule was, they probably need to finish at least 3rd in the A-10 to have any chance of an at-large.

We would've hurt their chances at the precious 20-win mark. Our brand of basketball is night-and-day compared to what the Dukes are putting out there. I would love to see us play Duquesne - anywhere - but I highly doubt it will happen, at least not until KD is confident Duquesne could win; even then I'm not sure he'd be willing to risk the "upset". 

I watched the latter part of regulation and all of the overtime session. I saw the same stuff that plateaued Akron's program - little ball movement, inside-out basketball, etc. TDM made his first and only 3 of the game in OT. We wouldn't have had 2 years of suffering, but the ceiling is much higher under Groce, his type of recruits, and his style of play than it would have been had KD not departed. 

Side note: I was reading Duquesne's board, and it sounds like Maceo Austin's sister may have passed away recently, which could have led to a flatter performance/closer game. 

• Like 1

All these "pot shots" at KD.  Groce out-coached him twice in MAC finals and had "luck" something KD was lacking.  On a side note, DJ Cooper suspended in Europe in 2018 for doping.  He submitted urine which had a pregnancy hormone in it.  And didn't make the Bosnian team

Edited by NWAkron

3 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

All these "pot shots" at KD.  Groce out-coached him twice in MAC finals and had luck something KD was lacking.  On a side note, DJ Cooper suspended in Europe in 2018 for doping.  He submitted urine which had a pregnancy hormone in it.  And didn't make. Bosnian team

Did you give your login information to the drunk Ball State guy? 

It's funny, the people who smile in my dad's face are the same ones who pray for his failures behind their computer screens.  Three seasons later, Akron is 14-3 and 4-0 in the MAC, and yet many of you would rather belittle KD's past and present success than enjoy Akron's return to the top of the MAC.  Some things I'll never understand...

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, RobbyDambrot said:

It's funny, the people who smile in my dad's face are the same ones who pray for his failures behind their computer screens.  Three seasons later, Akron is 14-3 and 4-0 in the MAC, and yet many of you would rather belittle KD's past and present success than enjoy Akron's return to the top of the MAC.  Some things I'll never understand...

Ignore them, your dad brought UA basketball back from the absolute abyss. Most of the joy I've had with Akron basketball is because your dad was at the helm. He didn't know me but every time I traveled somewhere to see the team play he always stopped to say hello. Good man I wish him success, not like UA and Duquesne can't both have success at the same time. (Oh and thanks for your contributions to Akron soccer also a team which has given me much joy).   

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, RobbyDambrot said:

I admire you for sticking up for your dad. You should. He gave a hell of a lot to us and I am very grateful for that. The internet is full of cowards and our site is no different. Nonetheless this is a great site. There are many readers and posters who respect all KD did for us. It was his decision to move on and that has to be respected too. Perhaps it was best for all parties. For you and your dad this much is true, once a Zip, always a Zip. All the best!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, RobbyDambrot said:

I am the same age  as your Dad!  I went to games  when I was  a  student, but after graduation I attended very few.  You dad re-kindled my interest in the program and my wife and I have  bought season tickets for several years.  We really enjoyed your Dad's years as coach. Some of those Kent, Ohio and  Miami games were unbelievable.   I wish him all the best. I know he'll always be a  Zip to the core  of his soul!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ZippyRulz said:

Reads like every article whenever we had those same type of records against mediocre competition.  Don't get me wrong, I was there cheering at every game, but in the long run we still got no love come tourney time. That's the life of being in middle of the road conferences.

On 1/16/2020 at 9:31 AM, NWAkron said:

All these "pot shots" at KD.  Groce out-coached him twice in MAC finals and had "luck" something KD was lacking.  On a side note, DJ Cooper suspended in Europe in 2018 for doping.  He submitted urine which had a pregnancy hormone in it.  And didn't make the Bosnian team

I was thinking of commenting that perhaps that has something to do with how attractive DJ  looks in a bra.

However, turns out human chorionic gonadotropin (hCG) can also be present in males and can indicate testicular cancer.

If he didn't use somebody else's pee, I'd recommend getting to a doctor's office soon.

On 1/16/2020 at 10:12 AM, RobbyDambrot said:

There are many Akron fans who follow and support you father.  Many don't post here anymore or can't post here.  Don't use this forum as a measure of how much your father was appreciated.  He is an Akron alumni, played at Akron and  coached at Akron....he sent his kids to Akron and parents were employees of Akron.  He is a true Akron Zip and always will be.  Even though he is now at Duquesne, like many...I am rooting for him and the other Akron alumni on his staff.

Here some facts to think about: (source Pomeroy rankings...average ranking of opposition)
Akron 2016/17 (29-9, 28-8 w/o post season)
 OOC home games  274
 OOC All games        194
 OOC win games      234

Akron 2019/2020 (14-4)
 OOC home games  308
 OOC All games        212
 OOC win games      269

Duquesne 2019/2020 (15-2)
 OOC home games  253
 OOC All games        199
 OOC win games      206

Groce must be baking a more palatable brand of cupcake.

So....it does does not appear that Groce and Akron are scheduling any better than KD.  Keep in mind that Duq has had only 5 OOC home games due to arena renovation. Also...Pomeroy has Akron at 65 and Duquesne at 80 so it looks as if a weak schedule is not holding back Akron.  The MAC is way down this year and Akron has a good team....they should go dancing this year.

KD left because he could not get in to the NCAA Dance unless he won the MAC tournament.  That is hard to do...upsets are common.  Here are some stats from the A10:
- Since 1982, 46 A-10 teams have entered the conference tournament with less than seven losses. All 46 made the NCAA tournament
- In the history of the conference (including the Eastern 8), 38 teams have gone to Selection Sunday with at least 25 wins. All 38 made the NCAA tournament.

By the way....the same people criticizing KD also criticize AD Williams.  Williams hired the Embick and Groce.  Although Arth has not yet proven to be a good hire...he should get credit for cutting ties with TB.

Go Zips!!  Go Groce!!!  Go KD!!!  

(I post every 10 years....see you next decade   )

Edited by Doug Snyder
  • Thanks 1