Keeping up with Keith (Dambrot)

On 1/25/2020 at 4:21 PM, NWAkron said:

When we appear to be gloating about a Dukes loss it isn't because of any ill will towards KD or his staff.  I for one am not going to turn on a game an enjoy watching them lose.  He and his staff built a solid program and fan base here.  My issue is with the fans who abandoned the Zips when he left and those on here who did nothing but gripe since he left.  So I don't mind pointing out that his moving on was a good thing.  Occasionally, a divorce leaves everyone better off.

This is well said, NWA, and it reflects what I've been trying to point out to several KD friends/fans in my neighborhood, and I was trying to put together a rational response to Robbie's post about his Dad.  It's not your Dad that we're "dissing", it's the fan base that stopped going to games, grudgingly supported the team, and gripes even when we win.  Has nothing to do with KD.  Something to be said about coaches getting too close to the fan base and "well-heeled" alumni/donor class.....

• 3 weeks later...

Losers of three of their last 5, the 17-win Dukes should have no problem reaching 19 wins, with upcoming games against conference dregs Fordham and GW.

They played well against Dayton (4-point loss), and old friend Tavain Dunn-Martin poured in 25 in a loss to St Bonaventure. They certainly have Saint Louis' number.

image.png

31 minutes ago, akronzips71 said:

I thought the A10 has a way better shot at an at large than the MAC. Because anything is better than ZERO.

The A10 has 2-3 teams that could potentially get an at-large. Dayton currently being the only lock. Duquesne has a ZERO percent chance of being one of those other 1-2 teams.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

What makes you think Duquesne has a better chance of receiving an A-10 at-large than Akron does winning the MAC?

I am simply stating that the MAC NEVER gets an at large.

While I do think we have a good chance of winning in Cleveland, that is hardly a lock. And it is our ONLY path to the Madness, while Duquesne has at least two potential paths.

At-large bids are given to teams, not conferences. Duquesne has losses to UAB, Marshall, and UMass, two of which we beat. We have pretty much the exact odds of getting an at-large as them, which rounds down to 0%. They have 1 path to the tournament. The same as us. Maybe next year they can capitalize on the A-10 being a multi-bid conference, but they already shot themselves in the foot this year.

Gotta give credit when it's due.  I didn't see the game, but the final score indicates KD's Duquesne squad once again gave Dayton all they could handle last Saturday night.  After losing to Dayton by only 4 points (73-69) on January 29th, the Dukes hung tough with the Flyers once again and only lost by 10 (80-70) on Saturday.

Edited by Blue & Gold

34 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

Gotta give credit when it's due.  I didn't see the game, but the final score indicates KD's Duquesne squad once again gave Dayton all they could handle last Saturday night.  After losing to Dayton by only 4 points (73-69) on January 29th, the Dukes hung tough with the Flyers once again and only lost by 10 (80-70) on Saturday.

Nevada... VCU... Gonzaga... Notre Dame... Oklahoma State... Ohio State...

Big names, big games, close losses. Apparently the same song can be played in Pittsburgh. 

7 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

Close loses to good teams and cupcakes aside, KD has really improved a down and out program.  That being said, I have really enjoyed watching Groce build this Zips team.  Here's hoping the Zips shooters get hot in March and the team makes a run.

• Like 2

I don't think his Duquesne team is as good as Akron this year, but I'd say it's better than BG or Buffalo. What we're seeing here is a #2-#3 team in the MAC translates to being the #5 or #6 team in the A10. He isn't going to win the A10 with MAC level talent nor is he going to build a resume to get an at-large with it. He certainly needed the TDM, Hughes, and Weathers type players to get Duquesne back to respectability that way he'd have a chance of landing some better players. It's still to be seen whether or not he ends up getting them.