Keeping up with Keith (Dambrot)

8 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

Nice story about what Duquesne has been through this year with the construction of their new arena-

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/joe-starkey/2020/03/06/duquesne-basketball-coach-keith-dambrot-lebron-james-joe-starkey/stories/202003060074

Good for Keith, actually what he is doing at Duquesne is pretty darn impressive, even more so after reading that article.

• Like 2

I have no hard feelings towards the guy. I appreciate the 13 year run he provided us. Any animosity I've shown in this thread was more towards those fans who were more Dambrot fans than Zips fans. I'd love to see a season series between the two schools get established. Have it on a Saturday night and honor Dambrot's accomplishments prior to the game. I'm sure he'd be met with cheers.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, akronzips71 said:

So, could their record be strong enough to get an at large?

Are you talking about the NIT?  They may be better than 50/50 odds of making it now.  No chance at the NCAA.  But that program had already turned around and is on-track to keep moving up.  They're to the point where good teams just won't schedule them, because they don't want to lose. ?  I couldn't help remembering ol' GoZips when I wrote that.  RIP, bro.  But, seriously, I'm always rooting for the Dukes as one of my fave teams.  And would love a series between our schools!

The 6th seed in the A-10 tourney, Duquesne takes on the winner of the 11/14 seed GW/Fordham game on Thursday.

Interesting A-10 fact:  8 different schools, none being Dayton?,  have won the past 10 championships (Temple, Richmond, St. Bonaventure, Saint Louis, Saint Joseph’s, VCU, Rhode Island and Davidson

Dukes-centric A-10 Tourney Info

Question of the day - Is Dayton "The Gonzaga of the East"?

18 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

Until last night, I thought it was Wright State.  Anything can happen

I'm beginning to think you may not have your finger on the pulse of D1 basketball.

You thought a team that is/was rated behind Akron (and approximately 120 teams behind Dayton) was the Gonzaga of the east?

• Haha 1

This article by Terry Pluto made me incredibly mad. Hey Akron hoops was good this year, let's interview Keith Dambrot and ask him what he thinks about it. Who the hell cares what he thinks? He bailed and Groce put together a nice run this season. Maybe, I don't know, interview the coach responsible for winning?

• 2 weeks later...
43 minutes ago, zippy5 said:

Hmm would have 2 years of eligibility I think

I think he has 1 remaining.  I believe he was part of the same Mizzou class that included Willie Jackson (now at UT).  

10 minutes ago, akronzips71 said:

Is he someone we should look at?

I think the previous staff offered both and both thought they were too good for UA.  There's backstory on Jackson choosing to transfer to UT over UA, but I won't touch that one.

He sat out one year due to the transfer and a year due to a knee injury.  

No thanks to a kid going on to his 3rd school in 4 years.  I'm okay with a transfer for a kid who didn't work out somewhere or a JUCO kid who wasn't ready for college, but at this point it starts looking like a pattern of discontent.  

Edited by clarkwgriswold
  • Like 2

On 3/19/2020 at 1:30 PM, RowdyZip said:

I think the previous staff offered both and both thought they were too good for UA.  There's backstory on Jackson choosing to transfer to UT over UA, but I won't touch that one.

I wonder if he still has it?

• Like 1

On 3/10/2020 at 1:07 PM, Captain Kangaroo said:

The 6th seed in the A-10 tourney, Duquesne takes on the winner of the 11/14 seed GW/Fordham game on Thursday.

Interesting A-10 fact:  8 different schools, none being Dayton?,  have won the past 10 championships (Temple, Richmond, St. Bonaventure, Saint Louis, Saint Joseph’s, VCU, Rhode Island and Davidson

Dukes-centric A-10 Tourney Info

Question of the day - Is Dayton "The Gonzaga of the East"?

Sitting here at home perfecting my social distancing skills I decided to take a crack at answering the question of the day (is Dayton the Gonzaga of the East).

In short the answer is no.

Here’s the longer answer: While Dayton enjoyed incredible success this season, it was due largely to the fantastic performance of Obi Toppin buoyed by the excellent performance by Jaylen Crutcher. I haven’t seen a single player raise the status of a team like Obi did this season since Larry Bird at Indiana State. Toppin will be gone next season and it is highly likely that Dayton will return to being a pretty good (but not top 25 rated) team. To be the Gonzaga of the East a team needs to demonstrate its national relevance on a protracted basis (not a one year flash in the pan). Better candidates for the GOTE title include Butler or Xavier. Now if Dayton outperforms my expectation over the next decade, I may be willing to modify my opinion.

Edited by Zipmeister

The only reason there is a Gonzaga of the west is because given where they're located, there is no conference for them to move to. If their campus was located anywhere east of the Mississippi, they would already be in the new Big East. Xavier and Butler can't be the Gonzaga of the east because the Big East isn't a mid-major conference. Far from it actually.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, zippy5 said:

Also because they aren't in the east ??‍♂️

Growing up in Ohio I always thought I lived in the Midwest, but when people in Nebraska learned that I was from Ohio they routinely said, "Oh, back east."

kreed5120

Posted 17 hours ago

The only reason there is a Gonzaga of the west is because given where they're located, there is no conference for them to move to. If their campus was located anywhere east of the Mississippi, they would already be in the new Big East. Xavier and Butler can't be the Gonzaga of the east because the Big East isn't a mid-major conference. Far from it actually.

You make an excellent point.  My answer remains the same. My next best candidate is Cincinnati.

Edited by Zipmeister

18 hours ago, Zipmeister said:

Growing up in Ohio I always thought I lived in the Midwest, but when people in Nebraska learned that I was from Ohio they routinely said, "Oh, back east."

kreed5120

Posted 17 hours ago

You make an excellent point.  My answer remains the same. My next best candidate is Cincinnati.

If you want to include Big East schools, look no further than Villanova. They've been even more successful than Gonzaga.